Felling trees in Groenkloof? Why?

meerkat

Surprised to notice felling of trees in Groenkloof of which one seems to be a Karee? I did not notice any evidence of construction in progress. Why on earth is this necessary, especially in a nature reserve? :blink: Photo's taken on eastern border close to R21

Does anyone have more information?

post-7113-018473100 1283019724.jpg

post-7113-050953700 1283019780.jpg

Good to cut down the exotics but not the indigenous ones? Sometimes workers make the odd mistake and chop out something that they should not.

Trees in lower pic are Eucalyptus (as far as I can see) - and judging by the felling cut, not a trained pro who did the job. I see a lot of that around here with public works on the roads etc obviously raises questions as to how these contracts are awarded.

Plenty of Wattle there that are easy enough to identify, they are the real enemy in terms of invasive trees: so hopefully they will take them. Is there a Friends of Groenkloof who can try find out whats going on or even rustle up some volunteers to help?

Trees in lower pic are Eucalyptus (as far as I can see) - and judging by the felling cut, not a trained pro who did the job. I see a lot of that around here with public works on the roads etc obviously raises questions as to how these contracts are awarded.

Plenty of Wattle there that are easy enough to identify, they are the real enemy in terms of invasive trees: so hopefully they will take them. Is there a Friends of Groenkloof who can try find out whats going on or even rustle up some volunteers to help?

The top tree is an Eucalyptus Cammaldulensis( not sure of the spelling) the lower photo is Eucalyptus Grandes, these trees suck up to 120 lt of water out of the ground. The trees are cut 500 mm from the ground, they are then supposed to be painted / treated with a poison to stop regrowth. If not cut off at 500 mm, the trees sprout new sapplings in a 2 mt radius.

Bluegums are a declared invader, it also has no natural enemy in SA, in Australia it has the koala bear.

Ja nee maneer .... thanks for enlightening further. I was referring the the style of cut: might have worked but not the way it should be done imho.

Only consolation with Eucalyptus is grab a hand full of leaves and crush them in your hand (best from a sapling) - and then take a deep whiff: big hit & very refreshing.

And they don't proliferate and annihilate the landscape like the dreaded 'wattle' - problem with the wattle is ignorance is bliss: once you become aware of them and how they grow everywhere and anywhere, gets very annoying: and they are take some putting down as well (I say this with bitterness and psychological wounds: I have been on wattle clearing mission for 10+ years on some property in Hogsback)

They are also from Oz: brought here for wood & tanin from their bark, the reason they are so rampant here is lack of a certain parasite that neutralises most of its seeds back home: here not. Something to do with a type of wasp as well, thats the story I can recall but stand for correction.

They have been felling trees in Groenkloof ever since it first opened in about 1995. It used be forrested when I first started riding there.

According to http://www.tshwane.gov.za/groenkloof.cfm they are rehabilitating the land "Currently, big clean-up operations are being run to restore the original woody bush of the area.". I'd love to see photos of what it used to look like compared to what it is now. Would be totally unrecognizable.

They have been felling trees in Groenkloof ever since it first opened in about 1995. It used be forrested when I first started riding there.

According to http://www.tshwane.gov.za/groenkloof.cfm they are rehabilitating the land "Currently, big clean-up operations are being run to restore the original woody bush of the area.". I'd love to see photos of what it used to look like compared to what it is now. Would be totally unrecognizable.

It must have been in the middle seventies when the second stage of the Total Rally was run through Groenkloof. We stopped our cars along the Fountains Circle Lyttleton road at a gate and walked in. The whole area was overgrown with pine trees as I can remember. The area looked complete different to what I could remember when I rode there a few times.

The Rally was special one because Roger Smith, Hannu Mikola and other overseas stars took part in it.

I am all for it when they take out the non indigenous species. When I fish I do catch an release on the indigenous species but trout and bass do not get the same luxuries as they kill off our indigenous species.

That's correct Big H. It was pine trees.

I don't think their intention is to only remove non-indigenous trees but rather to rehabilitate the area to how it used to be and this might involve removing some of the indigenous trees.

I love riding in Groenkloof. These guys do alot to keep the tracks in good shape and you will often find new tracks. Thanks guys!

Tonight I saw something that looked like"Swartwitpens" on top of Onion hill...

What is best to rehabilitate? Plant new trees and undergrowh and then fell the exotic trees or visa versa?

I love riding in Groenkloof.

What is best to rehabilitate? Plant new trees and undergrowh and then fell the exotic trees or visa versa?

Ditto - and worth the drive from Jhb for me, best time to go is Sat pm during rugby.

In terms of rehabilitation, one way is all you have to do is keep the invasive species and weeds away, and the gentle veld grasses and indigenous flora make a come back in time. Also please look to see what grows under a wattle tree next time you pass one (not very difficult to find): zilch, nothing, walang! it drops some time of chemical that zaps everything underneath it: part of its total domination strategy.