Van Gaalens.....is just heaven

L.T.G

I Love Van Gaalens!

the rides there are always great ,you've got everything , from Lung busting climbs to the rewarding amazing downhills, to the best singletrack,eg the river trail, quite possibly the most fun you can have on a bike.... but every so often I have a ride that blows me away!

Today was one of those days! set off at 7am back by about 9:50 or so. did 40kms of pure heaven, nothing hectic, just tons of fun!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

just had to share!

enjoy your weekend everyone;)

If you want to do a great all day ride, pack a good lunch and do this:

Get someone to drop you off at Teak (or cycle there to add 26Km in my case), do a 20Km lap. Then cycle to King's Kloof (about 15Km away, practically all uphill) to do a 20Km lap there. Then cycle to van Gaalen, about 70Km away (depending on route), do a quick 40Km.

That's about 200Km of all day fun riding, with about half offroad.

Have I done it? Not yet, but it's on the to do list for October. Also, there will be an inevitable phone call from van Gaalens to ANYONE to come fetch me for the 100Km back home!

You mad to do that on a MTB, good luck when you do enter the venture. That does sound like something I would attempt and then phone a friend.

A rational alternative might be to leave out the Teak loop (is that the sound of chickens I hear)! Gotta see van Gaalen's though - never been there and the initiator of this thread just increased the 'must do' aspect of it, especially as part of an all day ride!

GuyP... Van Gaalens is amazing! They honestly do have the sweetest singletrack there... So sweet it's cavity inducing!

Take Teak, add in some Groenkloof, for a leg stretcher some Northern Farm and then some sweeping Fountains single track... mash it all up and you get Van (FUN) Gaalens!

PS your 200km day ride sounds great... I'd just need a 120 hour day to do it! (-;

Get someone to drop you off at Teak (or cycle there to add 26Km in my case), do a 20Km lap. Then cycle to King's Kloof (about 15Km away, practically all uphill) to do a 20Km lap there. Then cycle to van Gaalen, about 70Km away (depending on route), do a quick 40Km.

Have I done it? Not yet, but it's on the to do list for October. Also, there will be an inevitable phone call from van Gaalens to ANYONE to come fetch me for the 100Km back home!

Where is kings kloof? I know where teak is and VG but Kings kloof?

Van Gaalens is my favorite trail but the last time I went there the route markers were absolutely horrid. Have they sorted the problem with the markers yet? I really really hope so? I get lost every time I go there :unsure:

Van Gaalens is my favorite trail but the last time I went there the route markers were absolutely horrid. Have they sorted the problem with the markers yet? I really really hope so? I get lost every time I go there :unsure:

with all the recent events there, eg Magalies Adventure,the Corporate Challenge and the Nashua Ladies Day there are a lot of markers all over the place.

it does help me being there often and learning the routes, as well as obviously taking part in the events, But i totally agree, it can be very tricky ...

it's still best to get a rough idea of the route by asking when you pay.

That sounds like a awesome ride, a friend of mine is tryin to get me to ride from Avianto to breeds neck and back (128km). Still buidling up the courage

That sounds like a awesome ride, a friend of mine is tryin to get me to ride from Avianto to breeds neck and back (128km). Still buidling up the courage

I'm Keen to know how it goes if you ever do do it...let us know.

If you need an extra rider, let me know!