2010 GT Avalanche

Disylizzy

I'm looking to buy my first MTB. Don't worry, not another roadie completely converting, would just like to do some basic mtb-ing, nothing too technical (yet).

So I found this bike on sale, and it looks like a pretty sweet deal, but have no clue on specs. So need some help either from someone that has this bike, or knows more than me, which I'm sure there are plenty of you guys out there:

2010 GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc Mountain Bike

BOTTOM BRACKET: Shimano Octalink cartridge sealed

BRAKES: Tektro Auriga comp, hydraulic, dual piston, cold forged

CASSETTE: SRAM Nine speed index cassette 11-32

CHAIN: Shimano HG-53 Nine Speed

CRANKSET: Shimano FCM-442, with octalink interface

FORK: Rock Shox Tora 302 with 100 mm travel, mag lowers, lock out and rebound adjust

FRAME: GT NEW Triple Triangle design 6061 butted aluminum with Hydro formed top and downtube, zero stack headtube. Disc compatible with removeable der. Hanger

FRONT DERAILLEUR: Shimano Deore

GRIPS/TAPE: GT Lockdown dual density with allen key fixing bolts

HANDLEBAR: GT Mtn Riser, 15 mm rise, 6061 heat treated, 31.8 mm clamp

HEADSET: Tange system for 1 1/8"

LEVERS: Tektro

PEDALS: ATB Aluminum body, Steel cage, toe clip compatible

REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano SLX Shadow

REAR SHOCK: NA

SADDLE: WTB Pure V, with stitched cover and protective corners

SEATPOST: Alloy Micro adjust 31.6mm

SHIFTERS: Shimano Deore 9 speed separate

STEM: GT ATB, threadless 25 degree rise with four bolt alum CNC face plate for 31.8mm

TIRES: Kenda Nevegal, 26 x 2.1

WHEELSET: Rims: WTB SX-24 ATB black anodized; Front Hub: Alloy QR for Disc; Rear Hub: Aluminum QR sealed mechanism 9 speed cassette for Disc

post-12560-003179500 1286230582.jpg

I have the 2009 model, only difference is I have an air suntour fork. Goes well, we have done over 3000km since Feb and no problems. Brakes work well as well, the only upgrade I did was to a larger front disc as I live in a hilly area and want to make sure I stop!

On sale for $699, and I have a 15% off coupon that I can use as well.

Ok nice, seems like a great deal. good bikes ;)

I have the 2009 model, only difference is I have an air suntour fork. Goes well, we have done over 3000km since Feb and no problems. Brakes work well as well, the only upgrade I did was to a larger front disc as I live in a hilly area and want to make sure I stop!

Thanks Mojo, that was one thing I was curious about. They have the same model bike but with V-Brakes, and it's a lot cheaper. It's very flat here where I live, so I probably don't need disc brakes here, but if I move to another area then I might.

Thanks Mojo, that was one thing I was curious about. They have the same model bike but with V-Brakes, and it's a lot cheaper. It's very flat here where I live, so I probably don't need disc brakes here, but if I move to another area then I might.

If i was you I would stick with the disk brakes so so much better over the v-brakes even though you dont live in a hilly area, Always good to know that you will stop at an intersection.

If i was you I would stick with the disk brakes so so much better over the v-brakes even though you dont live in a hilly area, Always good to know that you will stop at an intersection.

and for wet weather stopping too, I lived in London and commuted for 10 years, thats also very flat, started off with v brakes and made a huge differance when i changed to disc brakes - better for winter riding too - also you may want to go somewhere on a weekend ;)

Thanks for all the input. I plan on going some time after work this week and check out the bike again, and then make the final decision on buying it.

Actually still on the wall about getting a third bike, but it's SUCH a good deal... And I can't take my other bikes off-roading... Decisions, decisions...