Loss of fitness

I do MTB (1 hour sessions) 3-4 times a week and on weekends a do road. Lately I find that the MTB (hills) and the road part were there are hills is to much it is as if my legs just does not have the power to climb any more. Flat road seems fine. And I was just able to see an improvement. If I just do spinning sessions or flat roads? Will that work or do I really have to stay of the bike?

Questions 1 - 7 : Yes

Questions 8: No I am mid fourties and don't consider that as young. Maybe If I stayed in a old age home, but outside probably middle aged?

Edited by Mads

Mads, it can get complicated, and forgive me if this looks like preaching- I'm no expert- just a guy who believes that anything that doesn't have to do with cycling is a waste of time.

If hill climbing is hard for you it may have something to do with your power to weight ratio- either your legs are having to propel a couple of extra kg's up hill, or you need to workout your legs, or both. If you said yes to questions 1 to 7 it does not mean that you have to get off the bike. If I was you (and I have been there before), I would do some active recovery training days, aka light turning of the pedals, resisting the temptation to get high wattage into the pedals. You would get out, turning the legs in an easy gear. You will know when you are ready to kill those pedals, because one day you will go out and feel like nothing can stop you. Don't let your age make you think that you will be going backwards. You will be able to increase your speed and especially your strength if you carry on cycling, well into your fifties. Just keep it up and target your events for a PB which when you achieve is a victory against age. An if you don't, you're at least still better off than the sedentaries around you with webers for stomachs.

Thank you Yang.

Your solution seams like a workable plan for me. :)

I will try the spinnig at keep the efforts to 50%

Do some gym training, light weights, other cardio exercises as well. As with any sport & training your body becomes used to it pretty quickly so you need to vary your training. Ive found that since ive been doing this Im also able to shift the weight quicker as well, and keep it off( try swimming, rowing exercises, cross trainer, stair climber, squats & lunges, core training as well) My hill clinmbing has improved leaps & bounds because of it :clap:

Do some gym training, light weights, other cardio exercises as well. As with any sport & training your body becomes used to it pretty quickly so you need to vary your training. Ive found that since ive been doing this Im also able to shift the weight quicker as well, and keep it off( try swimming, rowing exercises, cross trainer, stair climber, squats & lunges, core training as well) My hill clinmbing has improved leaps & bounds because of it :clap:

At this stage I have two very eager teenagers in our "home gym", but will try and get an inning :unsure: Well..... they are so clever - they can help me with all these lingo as well. Thank You will do :)

But as Yang suggested, nothing to hard.

Edited by Mads

Mads, it can get complicated, and forgive me if this looks like preaching- I'm no expert- just a guy who believes that anything that doesn't have to do with cycling is a waste of time.

If hill climbing is hard for you it may have something to do with your power to weight ratio- either your legs are having to propel a couple of extra kg's up hill, or you need to workout your legs, or both. If you said yes to questions 1 to 7 it does not mean that you have to get off the bike. If I was you (and I have been there before), I would do some active recovery training days, aka light turning of the pedals, resisting the temptation to get high wattage into the pedals. You would get out, turning the legs in an easy gear. You will know when you are ready to kill those pedals, because one day you will go out and feel like nothing can stop you. Don't let your age make you think that you will be going backwards. You will be able to increase your speed and especially your strength if you carry on cycling, well into your fifties. Just keep it up and target your events for a PB which when you achieve is a victory against age. An if you don't, you're at least still better off than the sedentaries around you with webers for stomachs.

you can say that again i am training with an 65 year old ballie for 2 weeks now and i know 1 thing age is what you make of it he is as strong as an ox dont blame age blame training ,bicyle,weather,

so mads it is you and the road nobody or nothing else do it for your self and enjoy your riding and the legs wil come back

keep them rolling

At this stage I have two very eager teenagers in our "home gym", but will try and get an inning :unsure: Well..... they are so clever - they can help me with all these lingo as well. Thank You will do :)

But as Yang suggested, nothing to hard.

Yeah, keep it light with lots of reps. Definatly dont over do it .

@Mads:

Also important is to evaluate yourself against yourself... Don't base your judgementr of your legs or power output against what you see others do.

For long climbs - get your pace and stick to it. E.g. I have a HR range where I feel I climb optimally - I don't blow up and go fast enough.

Good point SeaBee. Whenever 2 or more cyclists get together it invariably turns into a testosterone driven race.

And about the age thing, we have a youngster- 18 years old riding with us. He's 6'3", built like a pro- light and like a whippet, and destined to be the fastest cyclist out of our little group- but not yet. He's astounded at the pace that the ballies in their 40's and 50's in the group get to, beating him in the local races. Maybe we take a little longer to recover, but our endurance, strength, and experience keeps us performing competitively against the laaities. B)

Good point SeaBee. Whenever 2 or more cyclists get together it invariably turns into a testosterone driven race.

And about the age thing, we have a youngster- 18 years old riding with us. He's 6'3", built like a pro- light and like a whippet, and destined to be the fastest cyclist out of our little group- but not yet. He's astounded at the pace that the ballies in their 40's and 50's in the group get to, beating him in the local races. Maybe we take a little longer to recover, but our endurance, strength, and experience keeps us performing competitively against the laaities. B)

Ive had that before, been shown up by guys in their 50's & even 60's. Certainly put me in my place :lol:

In my earlier days I used to go into Zim to race there every know and then. I had been riding fro anout 3 or 4 years when I did a race in Harare. A very small group of about 40 hotshot looking riders were in the race, and I saw one oke- a small old toppie at least 65 on a small size Giant and I thought to myself, well at least I'll beat him. Not a f***!!! This oke left me in the dust, and he finished on the top step in the podium in his category.

I spoke to him afterwards and it turned out that he's been cycling since the 50´s and has always been on the podium. His name is Peter Lane. I've just googled him and he's still winning!

http://za.onreg.com/results/index.php?File=results_search.php&DataID=1239&Show=SearchResults