Alligator Rotors & SwissStop pads

Caerus

Are the SwissStop pads worth the money, do you get good pad lifespan? Looking at getting a new set of SwissStop pads to go with my new Alligator Windcutter rotors for my Shimano SLX brakeset(are they even compatible). Would this be a good idea or an expensive waste of time. From what Ive read on the hub & other reviews they are the dogs bollocks. My boss has just put them on his bike with his Alligator Windcutter rotors, and is loving them( No more squeeking, and great in both dry & wet conditions)

Was just hoping for some other opinions.

Edited by Crack

Waste of money. I still have the original organic pads on my XT brakes and they work perfect on the Windcutters. It's been a few thousand kms already.

I thought the windcutters eat pads.

Dont tell me that, why does no one tell you this at the LBS - Do they work betterr though, despite the fact they eat pad? :unsure:

I thought the windcutters eat pads.

My original organic pads (stock with SLX brakeset) lasted 2000km on windcutter rotors. I then replaced them with metal XTR pads (the CRC link above), and couldn't handle the crazy squeeling noise. Went back to organic XT pads, and everything's perfect. Metal pads are stupid for SA conditions, they only exist because of the wet conditions that people live with in Europe, where organics get eaten very quickly.

Organic = better stopping power, quiet, shorter lifespan. Metal = long lifespan, freakin' noisy, less power.

I have a Windcutter on the front of my bike. In my opinion, it does stop you better, but at the expense of feel and some shudder. Given the choice, I wouldn't put a Windcutter on again. I use Avid organic pads, and I haven't noticed a difference in pad life, they still last very well.

Hope this helps.

I have a Windcutter on the front of my bike. In my opinion, it does stop you better, but at the expense of feel and some shudder. Given the choice, I wouldn't put a Windcutter on again. I use Avid organic pads, and I haven't noticed a difference in pad life, they still last very well.

Hope this helps.

Eish, Not sure if Im gonna be happy with the shudder & feel that Ive already experienced. Although before my brakes went faulty I never noticed any shuddering, then it started. So thats always gonna be there now(well for the life of these rotors?)

Try CWC for some aligator resin pads...got mine @R160 bucks (I think), and they are still lasting after 2000kms!

This is on generic Shimano XT rotors...none of that fancy stuff for me!!

So this is what Ive learnt today -

1.)SwissStop pads are not worth the money(need another comment about this, its 1 - 1 so far)

2.) Metal pads are a waste of time in South Africa so must go with resin(organic) pads.

3.)Alligator Windcutter Rotors are not that great, but can be? :(

So this is what Ive learnt today -

1.)SwissStop pads are not worth the money(need another comment about this, its 1 - 1 so far)

2.) Metal pads are a waste of time in South Africa so must go with resin(organic) pads.

3.)Alligator Windcutter Rotors are not that great, but can be? :(

Crack, it's all got to do with application. Here in SA people still buy one bike to do everything. You can not put lightweight parts on a trail or all-mountain bike. You can not ride lightweight tyres if you're gonna play in the mountains. You can not use resin pads during the Sabie-X. You can not use 70gr discs if you are going to do downhill runs.

Crack, it's all got to do with application. Here in SA people still buy one bike to do everything. You can not put lightweight parts on a trail or all-mountain bike. You can not ride lightweight tyres if you're gonna play in the mountains. You can not use resin pads during the Sabie-X. You can not use 70gr discs if you are going to do downhill runs.

I can only afford one bike to do everything(as most people in SA will only have & could afford), so I will put reasonably lightweight parts on my bike(which is a trail/xc/race/all mtn/downhill) Thats a pretty varied statement youve made there. I definatly wont have the lightest though. Most of my riding is trail with races thrown in too