Bike Service

BGS

Where is a good decent shop to take MTB's for a GOOD service? Being new to the MTB world I dont know where to go or what is done at a service.

Also, what causes the rear wheel to stick? If i spin the rear wheel (not on my bike, this is on the bike of the other half) it spins and then sticks and stops. Would this be a wheel balance problem?

I took the bike to Cajee's this morning to have the wheel fixed as we want to go riding this weekend. But seeing that the bike went in for a service there just last week, and they did not notice the problem then (the wheel was sticking before the service, i thought they may fix it), i am not sure it will be fixed properly. Even though I have had great service from them as that is where we brought the bikes, I am starting to look around at other shops.

Any help and advice for a newbie rider?

Thanks

I'm not sure where in JHB you should go, but remember that servicing a bike is very similar to servicing anything with moving parts.

A few pointers:

- ask for a detailed quote to see what a normal service entails

- ask that they phone you if anything needs replacing

- point out what issues you are having (spin the wheel for them so that they can see what you are trying to say)

- ask about warrantees on items replaced if applicable

- inspect the bike when you collect it to ensure that problems were fixed and that your bike was not damaged in the shop (it happens more than you think)

- ask for an invoice

- some shops give cash discount, use it.

- ask for replaced parts to be given to you to inspect.

- give the shop owners / management feedback about your experience, be it good or bad.

BGS try Linden Cycles they all know what they are talking about.

You will also get bettter prices there Cajees look good as they price there bikes high and then give the discount(talking from experience). Phone around in future you will get better prices and more variety.

Linden or Northcliff do good services or Fritz Pienaar in Sunninghill.

I had the same wheel issue, check that your locknut on the axle isn't too tight, this will "clamp" the wheel on the axle. If that doesn't work you might need to repack the bearings. You'll have to specifically ask them to check that, it probably won't be done in a minor service.

Edited by Zaskar09

- inspect the bike when you collect it to ensure that problems were fixed and that your bike was not damaged in the shop (it happens more than you think)

Collect the bike yourself so you can inspect it.

Once got my bike back with the shock the wrong way a round and missing a few bits when a mate collected it for me.

give juan a call... great service!!! 082 758 0011 he collects ur bike and delivers or services at ur house....

give juan a call... great service!!! 082 758 0011 he collects ur bike and delivers or services at ur house....

Where is he based?

Where is a good decent shop to take MTB's for a GOOD service? Being new to the MTB world I dont know where to go or what is done at a service.

Also, what causes the rear wheel to stick? If i spin the rear wheel (not on my bike, this is on the bike of the other half) it spins and then sticks and stops. Would this be a wheel balance problem?

I took the bike to Cajee's this morning to have the wheel fixed as we want to go riding this weekend. But seeing that the bike went in for a service there just last week, and they did not notice the problem then (the wheel was sticking before the service, i thought they may fix it), i am not sure it will be fixed properly. Even though I have had great service from them as that is where we brought the bikes, I am starting to look around at other shops.

Any help and advice for a newbie rider?

Thanks

Highly recommend Epic Cycles in Centurion. I saw that you are from JHB, but it would be worth taking the drive and trying them out. Service is just awesome. :clap:

Thanks for the great response!

BigS, I am on the West Rand.

Morewood, thanks, have taken note of all this. I did demonstrate to them whilst the bike was still on the back of my car.

Buffy, thanks, I have been to Linden and will probably go back there the next time something needs fixing. I also found that Linden were better stocked than many other shops on a number of things.

Zaskar, thanks i will take a look, not that i know what im looking at :P Its all still a learning curve for me.

Nobody, yeah im going up later to fetch it. Will test it and see for myself.

U don't say where exactly on the west rand but i found Cycle Fusion to be friendly and helpful, get treated as a friend rather than a number which is rare these days...

Here are their details if you want to try them them out

Cycle Fusion - Weltevreden Park (011) 679 5171

• 2 weeks later...

Juan serviced my bike last week and all I can say is ...

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Professional, quick and most definitely worth it.

Michelle

Juan serviced my bike last week and all I can say is ...

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Professional, quick and most definitely worth it.

Michelle

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the ride! :) :)

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the ride! :) :)

She rides like a dream. :clap:

The gearing is perfect. And the brakes - perfect. Definitely felt more confident on my bike this evening. Thanks!!

Hubby is no longer allowed near my gears :blush: