Marzocchi dj3 strip adjust

Nic G

I adjusted them for a bumpy ride at magic forest , and when i tried to adjust them back afterwards i some how managed to strip it.

I would just leave it , but now my shocks are slightly too soft.

I know it looks like a went to town on that screw but really it was like butter

Is this fixable ?

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/4928/20102010343.jpg

Edited by Nic G

Well iam busy with attempt 1 to fix , got some steal putty filled the skrew hole , then took a flat head and made a grove , going to wait for it to dry and see if i can turn it

That won't work.

What you have to do is remove that shaft from the fork. It's long and goes all the up to the top where it does its turning. Kinda silly, they should have just access its guts from the top, but anyway.

Then you take the shaft to a machine shop and have them drill a hole and tap it for 3mm metric. Don't try and do this with a drill on the bike. The drill needs to be 2.4mm for the 3mm tap.

Once tapped, you insert a machine screw in there with loctite. You decide how you want to turn the screw. I make makeshift handles/buttons for the scew with a piece of alu and I keep it shorter than the original so that it stays out of harm's way.

I've saved many Marzocchis like that.

Hi , thanks for the reply , from what you have just told me , i think the best thing i can do is take the bike in

Hi , thanks for the reply , from what you have just told me , i think the best thing i can do is take the bike in

No, that's not the best you can do. The bike shop will take the fork off and send it to Globacycles in George. Only to discover that the company no longer does Marzocchi. It will then go from there to a certain individual in Jhb who will strip it, fix it and send it back to your bike shop.

Add R150 for courier fees per leg of the trip, a healthy mark-up at the bike shop end and you have a fork that costs more than your bike.

Either initiate the machining process right at your bike shop (have them strip and reassemble the fork) and outsource the engineering work or, contact me off-line and I'll point you towards another solution.

I have experienced a tiny bit of that , i phoned city cycles the place i bought the full setup from(bought the bike 2 weeks ago) they told me to phone epic bike shop (the marzocchi agents) epic bike shop says they no longer marzocchi agents. iam going to look around for a company that does that sort of engineering / machining . then just get the bike shop to do the taking apart and putting back together part, thanks for the advice, its going to have to wait till next week though riding tomorrow :D