Should I be worried

DMD 1

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I started my girlfriend riding, and its great now. I used to get very frustrated riding with her, but I split my rides, some days were to ride with her, and others to do my own thing. Also planned long rides which were really tough and fast with guy friends and then on recovery days rode slowly with her. But I never raced with her.

Then she got a bee in her bonnet about doing full marathons. So I helped her get to a decent fitness level and raced the first one with her. It pushed her alot, and even though it was a bit boring for me, I was very proud and enjoyed the time with her.

Then after a while we decided to do joberg2c together (She never says no to a challenge!). Anyway, did lots of training and loooong distance rides together. Took alot of patience from my side, but she improved so much and really impressed me. We finished joberg2c comfortably (well.. except that one day we spent 11 hours in the saddle). Just doing that training really improved my fitness and pushing her up hills made me strong. I came off that race faster than ever.

But always I have told her that I will do some rides with her, and some I will do with out her. I do not race with her, because I just can't take racing slowly, thats just me. I have promised to do another stage race together though.

The best part is now. She's tired of always riding with the boys. So she started a group of all the girls, where she takes them slowly and explains each technical section etc. So now there quite alot of girls involved for her to ride with, and all the boys are free to ride as much as they want :)

I dont have kids so I can't comment on that, maybe look for those kiddies bike chairs and take them with :) but other wise I think its great. Just be honest about what you expect for your self and what you are willing to do with her. Its a bit of a compramise, but look at the bright side.

Where you based? Does your girlfried want to adopt a wife for her group?

Well I was feeling rather brave after supper so I showed this thread to my wife and guess what no complaints. She was rather interested to read some of the replies and smiled as she read them. As the say alls well that ends well.

Edited by DMD 1

Well I was feeling rather brave after supper so I showed this thread to my wife and guess what no complaints. She was rather interested to read some of the replies and smiled as she read them. As the say alls well that ends well.

Kudos to you, and to all the guys that are out there supporting their significant others in joining them in cycling! :clap: :thumbup:

Just dont show her the Wives vs Cycling thread, not sure how that would go down with her. :lol: Youre pretty brave though :)

Are you members of Tygerberg MTB club? They have a "slow coach" ride on Sundays. Get her to do a few of those to get used to riding in groups and meet other riders. Just try to remember what it was like when you started mtbing. We didn't know where to go ride, how to approach races or even how to do basic repairs on our bikes. Someone had to show the patience to coach us and do the easy rides with us before we became accomplished riders.

I really enjoy riding wih my wife. She's slow and unfit, but hell does she have fun! There are the days where she struggles and lost her sense of humour. I remember taking her to Welvanpas for an "easy" lap that turned out to be a 18 km - 3hr nightmare in 40deg heat. We still got married after that.

There are the odd races you can ride together. Do something like the mtb argus 25km route. This year they split the days, and I took the opportunity to ride the short route with her and do the long route the next day. Pick some of the less challenging short routes and do 1 race a month with her. Soon she'll tell you to go ride your own race, she's riding with her friends...

Are you members of Tygerberg MTB club? They have a "slow coach" ride on Sundays. Get her to do a few of those to get used to riding in groups and meet other riders. Just try to remember what it was like when you started mtbing. We didn't know where to go ride, how to approach races or even how to do basic repairs on our bikes. Someone had to show the patience to coach us and do the easy rides with us before we became accomplished riders.

I really enjoy riding wih my wife. She's slow and unfit, but hell does she have fun! There are the days where she struggles and lost her sense of humour. I remember taking her to Welvanpas for an "easy" lap that turned out to be a 18 km - 3hr nightmare in 40deg heat. We still got married after that.

There are the odd races you can ride together. Do something like the mtb argus 25km route. This year they split the days, and I took the opportunity to ride the short route with her and do the long route the next day. Pick some of the less challenging short routes and do 1 race a month with her. Soon she'll tell you to go ride your own race, she's riding with her friends...

We are both members of the club. I got her the Membership at the same time when I bought the bike. She has ridden Majik and Meerendal quiet a few times. I always show her a new route and then leave her to her own devices with her mates. We enjoy riding together, well most of the time. It great that she can see the reason why I love MTBing. She now understands a bit more

Look at the positive side. At least while she's riding with you early morning, you know that she's not getting to know the pool cleaner better, like all the cyclists WAGs who don't cycle are. :lol:

Look at the positive side. At least while she's riding with you early morning, you know that she's not getting to know the pool cleaner better, like all the cyclists WAGs who don't cycle are. :lol:

Dude I am the pool cleaner. I have a Bussiness called Pool Doctor.

Classic :thumbup:

Did the Cape Pioneer and the Berg & Bush Descent with my wife. No complaints, no hassles, no problem. That's why she's my wife.

I have a big moral dilemma. My wife has recently started cycling which is great. However she now wants to do the fun rides etc also great but here is the catch she wants me to do them with her.

We did the Buffet Olives festival 25km ride together. I was promised many noddy points for doing the ride together. However as I am a tad fitter than her on the bike I was riding with her and not showing any signs of exertion much to the wife’s annoyance. I even had the middle finger displayed in my general direction. I did warn the wife that the ride was 14km of hills then 11km of downhill with very little flat sections. True to form she bitched like a girl. I tried my best to encourage her

I stopped to help some youngsters fix a broken chain and give them my chain link. I even had to install it for them. I was glad to help them but at the same told them to get some spares and be prepared next time. After helping the youngsters I started to shunt it to catch up to my wife who had gone ahead of me. Well I never caught her as she seems to enjoy the down hills and is not a powder puff fairy when it comes to single track and down hills.

She finished 9th out of about 45 ladies. I was hugely proud of her :clap: :clap: . And yes she did beat me.

Now the question is how much do I encourage her? Am I expected to do all the fun rides with her and in her distance capabilities? Who gets to baby sit the kids on the Sunday am ride time and who gets to ride.

This is the wiff! What a load of bollocks! My husband was told time and again, "You don't have to stay with me, you can ride as fast as you like, and I'll meet you at the finish". I don't expect him to even practise with me or to enter race's together. In fact my first race I did was with my brother-in-law who was more on my fitness level. The only thing I asked was to show me a new route every now and again. So in short - Do not believe everything hubby has to say!

Problem is spouces often dont say what they mean or mean what they say. Mine would say something like that too but then sulk, throw her toys etc if I did it. I would know better and ride with her to prevent the rest of the weekend being a nightmare fo me and the kids. Perhaps I live in an extreme situation but I have seen it elswhere too.

This is the wiff! What a load of bollocks! My husband was told time and again, "You don't have to stay with me, you can ride as fast as you like, and I'll meet you at the finish". I don't expect him to even practise with me or to enter race's together. In fact my first race I did was with my brother-in-law who was more on my fitness level. The only thing I asked was to show me a new route every now and again. So in short - Do not believe everything hubby has to say!

Bwah ha ha :lol: Someone got a bollocking- Go wifey :clap:

How about speaking to your wife about this? Try something called honesty, and you may be amazed at what it does! Just tell her how you feel. I bet she will tell you how she feels about something? So do the same and stop moaning about it on a public forum