What size and brand to buy

Sirfallsalot

Hi,

I ride a Yamaha YZ450F offroad motorbike as a hobbie and I am looking at doing a few enduro races next year and possibly even try to compete at the Roof Of Africa which is 1 of the top 5 most difficult and extreme races in the world. I have been talking to some riders to find out some more information regarding their fitness and training and most of them recommend cycling, mountain biking to be more specific. I am not looking to do any MTB racing just looking for a decent bike for fitness.

So now I am in the market for a bike, I have been advised to get something with front and back suspension but to be honest I am not looking to break the bank. I don't really have a budget in mind I'm just looking around to see what's out there, I'm prepared to spend a little extra if it's worth my while.

Please can anyone provide me with some information and advice about what brands I should be looking out for and what brands I should stay away from. I also need to know what size bike I should be looking for and what speed I should go for? I am 6'2" and I weigh about 110kg's.

Please understand I don't know anything about mountain biking so any information or advice would be appreciated.

If you are selling something let me know what you have and what you want for it and I'll definetly consider.

Any advice will be appreciated...

If you can find someone in the know to help you find a good second hand bike thats the way to do - some real bargans on the hub. This way if you dont find it fun (unlikely) and give up you can sell it again for about what you bought it for. Otherwise I suggest you spend at least around R10 000 on a good harttail or you will just be wanting to upgrade in a few months already.

Plenty other advice on the hub and other places on the web too.

Edited by aonyx

Merida, GT, KTM and Silverback all do good value for money dual suspensions. Look at getting a strong frame as that way you can always upgrade shocks and components over time. For me upgrading has become my hobbie on my road bike :D Front suspension wise look out for words like Fox, Rockshox and Manitou. For disc brakes go hydralic brakes over mechnical (cable operated). Component wise look out for Deore and above for Shimano, my SRAM knowledge is not that good unfortunately. For your height I would take a Large, but that's just my opinion- some guys like riding smaller frames when it comes to mtb. Find the bike you like (colour is important) and then spend a bit more on the higher model :D

Edited by cosborne

I also looked for a used bike. There are bargains and good deals out there but they are few and far between. It is hard to find spec, year, price and size in an area you are prepared to travel to to view unless you are happy buying a bike you have not inspected.

Go and speak to Kevin at Cycle Fusion in Weltervreden Park - 011 679 5171 - Tell him Chris sent you

Starter bikes start at about R4000 - 5000 for something semi decent, that being a hardtail. for a Full Suspension again something decent should be about R15 000 up towards R80 000 - These are new prices. I think a budget needs to be deceided first, then go from there.

You're in a minefield for choice, hardtail vs dual suspension then still further categorised 26 vs 29. There are some bike shops that have demo bikes or if you have mates with MTB's try theirs out.