Cramp, cramps !!!!

29er

Hey 29er

No problem. PM me you email address and i will send you a very detailed document on explaining Biomechanics of it all.

Not enough space here.

I too did the race yesterday. The plan was to ride between 3hrs and 3h10.

I rode 3h10 on the dot.

The key to succes is this. (keep this in mind for futer 94.7 races)

1) In JHB we always have heat at 94.7.

2) the part that breaks everyone is Krugersdorp road.

So why race up to the 60km only to lose it all in the last 40km.

With the type of terrain through JHB suburbs you tend to sprint/ accelarate and put far more strain on your legs than you plan to.

This means you ride harder yet feel great. but by the time you start cramping it is just too late.

So for 2011. set yourself a managable tempo. ride slower. Trust me just because the other guys are workign at the front or racing past you doesn't mean you have to chase the tyre like a dog out in the street.

Let them go. The chance that you will see them on Krugersdorp road is. ......pretty good.

:)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey 29er

No problem. PM me you email address and i will send you a very detailed document on explaining Biomechanics of it all.

Not enough space here.

I too did the race yesterday. The plan was to ride between 3hrs and 3h10.

I rode 3h10 on the dot.

The key to succes is this. (keep this in mind for futer 94.7 races)

1) In JHB we always have heat at 94.7.

2) the part that breaks everyone is Krugersdorp road.

So why race up to the 60km only to lose it all in the last 40km.

With the type of terrain through JHB suburbs you tend to sprint/ accelarate and put far more strain on your legs than you plan to.

This means you ride harder yet feel great. but by the time you start cramping it is just too late.

So for 2011. set yourself a managable tempo. ride slower. Trust me just because the other guys are workign at the front or racing past you doesn't mean you have to chase the tyre like a dog out in the street.

Let them go. The chance that you will see them on Krugersdorp road is. ......pretty good.

:)

Great advice! TriGuru76 Thanks! In the last 9, 94.7 rides I can only remember one where it was not killer hot, 2005.

In your opinion, best to split race into two or three parts, and ride each part with its own intensity?

Guest eyecandy

I swear by rennies. Also had cramping yest. I take them as soon as i feel it coming on and it works immediately.

Hey Klappertjie

That is my opinion yes. Some may have their own way of racing, but i have raced for 18 years of whcich 7 was spent on the European Triathlon circuit.

Manage your first half maybe by heart Rate. Try keeping in your Aerobic zones.

There is more than enough time to race once you hit Krugersdorp rd.

From a suppliment point of view.

Yes, get a product with high Sodium. or Salt tablets.

Remember your body is pumping blood to your muscles and dont have much time to spend digesting food / solids on a short race like this.

I use a product called First Endurance. Sofar i know it is only availible at Troi Sport in Sunninghill. By far one of the best products i have used.

It is fast obsorbing, and low in Carbs. Your body doesn't need that much carbs at in this event.

It needs fast releas electrolites.

Rehidrate is ideal on a hot day.

Rennies is a first. The up side of rennies are you wont have heartburn from all the sweet drinks :clap:

I swear by rennies. Also had cramping yest. I take them as soon as i feel it coming on and it works immediately.

This rennies thing is bugging me! I have heard it many times before and think it's time I try it out for myself. Set a Saturday aside and burn the legs around suikerbos. NEVER cramped like I did yesterday. :(

Hey Klappertjie

That is my opinion yes. Some may have their own way of racing, but i have raced for 18 years of whcich 7 was spent on the European Triathlon circuit.

Manage your first half maybe by heart Rate. Try keeping in your Aerobic zones.

There is more than enough time to race once you hit Krugersdorp rd.

From a suppliment point of view.

Yes, get a product with high Sodium. or Salt tablets.

Remember your body is pumping blood to your muscles and dont have much time to spend digesting food / solids on a short race like this.

I use a product called First Endurance. Sofar i know it is only availible at Troi Sport in Sunninghill. By far one of the best products i have used.

It is fast obsorbing, and low in Carbs. Your body doesn't need that much carbs at in this event.

It needs fast releas electrolites.

Rehidrate is ideal on a hot day.

Rennies is a first. The up side of rennies are you wont have heartburn from all the sweet drinks :clap:

Thanks again. I do not cramp regularly but yesterday was unreal.

Cramps, cramps and more cramps.....

My dreams to do a sub 4 with yesterdays 94.7 was ruined by cramps and turned into a 6 hour nightmare !!

I drank 500ml of liquate every 30min and crampstops by the hour and still it did not help !!!.

Surely there must be a deficiently in one’s body to cause this problem.....can this be detected by blood test?

Has any Hubbers out there done this or found a true cure for cramps ?

So so with you there buddy. I wasn't specifically looking for any time, just a decent finish, but I was certainly not expecting the 6:27 I finally managed. As others have mentioned, it's purely muscle fatigue - I started with the cramps on Jan Smuts through Rosebank, and they never stopped. Every time the road pointed upward for anything longer than 200 metres, my quads clammed up. It was my own fault though - I'd done zero training, and was actually considering not doing in last week. Ego, unfortunately, got the better of me and I decided that this would be my 9th 94.7 (8th official) and being a "Veteran", I knew what I was doing. Boy was I wrong.

Will not be doing it again if there isn't a concrete chance of a sub 3:30, and a chance of sub 3, together with a group F/G start and a few 100kms rides/races under my belt. This might mean that I take another 10 years to do the extra 2 for my 10, sub so be it, I'm not suffering like that again.

Guest eyecandy

This rennies thing is bugging me! I have heard it many times before and think it's time I try it out for myself. Set a Saturday aside and burn the legs around suikerbos. NEVER cramped like I did yesterday. :(

Take one before u start riding too

Great advice! TriGuru76 Thanks! In the last 9, 94.7 rides I can only remember one where it was not killer hot, 2005.

In your opinion, best to split race into two or three parts, and ride each part with its own intensity?

Interesting but true - that would be the year I did my best time. Coincidentally, that was also the year (along with 2006) that I've been in the best condition.

If the cramps are because of muscle fatigue during the ride, as most argue, why would a cramp hit me only three days after a big event, in the middle of the night? I use a good multi vit, I am a 100km fit.

Rode through a few cramps yesterday, you get past if, but the legs are never the same after it. :(

my 2c,

it has been my first 94.7 and my training for next year is going to be a lot different. most of my training was at the cradle, which does not replicate the route and intensity of the race route, hence after around 60-70km it seemed like i was pedalling in reverse!! i created a misconception of my ability to ride hard and be part of a hard race.should have kept more in the engine for the N14.

only solution to this is to train harder, so where is this place suikerbosrand???

Take one before u start riding too

Eyecandy, I think I'll skip one before the start. I don't normally cramp up, so I will give it a go and take one IF I start to cramp up. That way I will know if it works for me or not. ;) Sceptical and do not know enough about additives etc.... Having said that I do hope it works!

my 2c,

it has been my first 94.7 and my training for next year is going to be a lot different. most of my training was at the cradle, which does not replicate the route and intensity of the race route, hence after around 60-70km it seemed like i was pedalling in reverse!! i created a misconception of my ability to ride hard and be part of a hard race.should have kept more in the engine for the N14.

only solution to this is to train harder, so where is this place suikerbosrand???

Heidelberg, just off the R550. Very easy if you go down the N3

It's a tough route and I believe very good for training. There are hills a plenty. I believe the climb is about 1140m and the route is 57km. Best part of all, very little traffic but one needs to be careful!