Cyclist self defence!?

Palaeodom

Ek het nog nooit in my lewe so 'n klomp lame antwoorde bymekaar gesien nie. Pepperspray is the dumbest thing you could do. You will most likely spray yourself in the process making it easier got the fokker you have now made very angry.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used pepper spray before and it's effective, what's the problem with that? The guy was angry to begin with. To be clear, the spray is not there for you to tackle the guy and make an arrest or something stupid like that, it's purely there to give you the slightest of gaps to escape.

If its only 1, give him your cleats aswell, when he clips in, takle him, he wont have a clue of what happened and how to get loose. . . :D

Plus...was having similar discussion with some guys at the pub, it seems the bikejacking people have a pretty good idea of what they're looking for...i.e. top of the range makes and models.

Is it time to start dressing down bikes instead of putting effort into blinging our toys? Given they (the thieves) get only a couple of seconds to evaluate the worth of the machine.

We can all send our bikes to Cycleart and have them redone as Dunlop bikes :lol: :lol: :lol:

We can all send our bikes to Cycleart and have them redone as Dunlop bikes :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha Ha, I reckon i'd get mine done as an Emmelle, my first bike (when i was 8) rediculous numbers of bright colours and rust.

I have pepperspray and when I remember I velcro it to my stem.

Only reason I have it is for drunk people or someone trying something in the heat of the moment. If I see a bunch of dodgy looking people next to the road, I'll put my hand on the pepperspray and take the safety off untill I'm past them.

If it's a "real"/pre-meditated bike jacking, then chances are nothing will help.

Spray to the face with pepper spray and a swift blow to the throat should do it, If you want a good kick to the nether regions for good measure, then ride like the wind :thumbup:

On a slightly more serious note - if you flatten one of these bastards you're not going to be happy for even 5 minutes.

Once the shock wears off you'll realise (or the very unsympathetic previously disadvantaged constable/whatever will make you realise) that you're in for a rough time. You see, it seems these bastards (and now I'm talking about the mugger again) have more rights than you, even when they're dead or doing something that will shortly result in that condition.

Now, assuming that all goes well in court (because that's where you're headed), there will remain a criminal judgment on your name. And even if it says that you were found "not guilty", it's there. So when you're applying for that dream job in Silicon Valley, and the friendly (not!) consular official looks at your visa application reference checks - guess what?

I can't offer any better advice on protecting yourself apart from backing what others have said about riding in a group. Pepper spray? Make sure it's a good one. I've got a Police issue version - it's brutal. Just make sure you're upwind if you use it. The person that gave it to me said it's the business. He was a previously advantaged cop who's since quit. He said there's nothing like it for quieting a cell full of drunks in Cape Town on a Friday night. In fact you only have to show it to them - they know what it does! :D

Best self defence system I came accross so far!!! Just a little to big to carry on the bike, pitty! :blink:

Nice toy, but its not gonna help against the real thing unfortunatly :(

Best self defence system I came accross so far!!! Just a little to big to carry on the bike, pitty! :blink:

Imagine a single barrel..... maybe made of plastic with a wire grip tha folds out, not bigger than a pump, with a Co2 cartridge and the barrel loaded with an indelible bright orange paint, a solid ball and a ball loaded with pepperspray.

You blixem him, you mark him, and if that is not enough you make him cry. One shot only but if each one in the group carries this you can get all the fokkers...... where is our bright boytjies that can design something like this!!!!!!

Imagine a single barrel..... maybe made of plastic with a wire grip tha folds out, not bigger than a pump, with a Co2 cartridge and the barrel loaded with an indelible bright orange paint, a solid ball and a ball loaded with pepperspray.

You blixem him, you mark him, and if that is not enough you make him cry. One shot only but if each one in the group carries this you can get all the fokkers...... where is our bright boytjies that can design something like this!!!!!!

We need Q and McGyver on the on the case :)

About as easy as drawing your pepper spray ? Does not matter what you choose to protect yourself , if you are not ready you gonna loose the battle . Like you said , leave yourself always some space , try and do group rides etc . BUT always be alert . Even in places where it "does not happen' .

The chances are good that you're gonna loose the battle, remember, you cycle along, with your can of pepperspray in your back pocket or strapped to your frame. They walk along with a gun ready to shoot. You don't stand a chance. Rather treat anyone walking as a possible criminal!

Rather treat anyone walking as a possible criminal!

seriously? Please don't come riding in my neighbourhood then. I'm going to start treating all cyclists like they want to attack me as a murderer...

don't be ridiculous

seriously? Please don't come riding in my neighbourhood then. I'm going to start treating all cyclists like they want to attack me as a murderer...

don't be ridiculous

when you get attacked by attempting to go past 'walkers' , don't come and moan here!

Two months ago one of our club members rode, there were two 'walkers' walking next to the road, even with other riders nearby, they attempted to push him off his bicycle. How ridicilous is that, *(^*(^!