Magura Louise Seals?

Nuffy

Hello!

I have a pair of old Magura Louise hydraulic discs. They both seem to be leaking - the front one enough to make it useless. I took the lever of the back one apart (apparently it's non-serviceable, but I had nothing to lose), checked out the seals etc., and it's working fine now, with a small leak.

I'd like to replace the seals of the master cylinder, as I think this is where the problem is (and a new lever would cost R850). Any ideas of where I may be able to find the seals I need (in Cape Town)? They are not simple O-rings.

I have another front disc now, so if anyone would like to buy the Magura one I'll consider any offers. I got a new Alligator hose and fittings for it which came to R380, so I'd like to recover as much of that cost as possible.

Any advice would be appreciated. Or, if anyone has a properly working back disc they're willing to sell...

Nuffy2007-10-12 11:27:13

Nuffy have you checked their website?

You might have to order from CRC

Will have a look around as soon as I have a chance Smile

Ok checked around a bit and yes it looks like there is no parts available.

The guys on the Magura forum advise against taking the master cyl out.

If it was me... I would take it out and try match the seal at "Bearing and Seal Center" or "Bearing Man" or even at a hydraulic outlet Wink

if it works it works LOL if it does not Cry

Good Luck

Mauritzvw2007-10-12 13:36:39

Thanks very much for your help, Mauritzvw. I did spend a while on the Magura forum when I first got the brakes, but as you said, they discourage taking the lever apart at all. It seemed that my only option then would be to get a new lever, and at R850 I decided against that. Having taken them apart, they look simple enough, and I'll see if I can do as you suggest and try one of those places.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this 'non serviceable' thing is a bit silly. I'd far rather fix it myself (or at least learn about it in the process) for next to nothing than pay someone a load of money that I don't have to replace something with a small simple problem.

Thanks again. I'll let you know when I've had a chance to try one of these places, but it might not be for a while.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this 'non serviceable' thing is a bit silly. I'd far rather fix it myself (or at least learn about it in the process) for next to nothing than pay someone a load of money that I don't have to replace something with a small simple problem.

Hmmm, I am not in the least technical, so dont work on anything, but I tend to agree, check what you can do yourself first.

Its non cycling, but I deleoped a small crack leak on my Kawasaki radiator top tank, took it to Kawasaki and they said "Holy Moly" this is gonna cost ya, its impossible to fix these radiators (Aluminium) so we have to import you a new one (R2700.00) PLUS this hose plus that thingy, total quote including labour R4500.00 and a 6 week wait for the part.!!

Anyway, I rode the bike to work a few days later and was chatting to one of the technicians here and he said "let me have a look" he took the radiator out, had a dekko, told me "its nothing" and welded a small aluminium patch over the crack, pressure tested it, resprayed it, put it all back together again and total cost about R30.00 for the paint (okay he works for me so I pay his wages anyway) - and its been leak free for two years now, and as the radiator is tucked away you cant even see the small patch.

Now I always make a point of seeing if a product cant be fixed first, its not always about the money, its just sometimes an interesting excercise.

................Oh and on your problem Maybe PM "Johan Bornman" - if he cant help, I think you are outta luck.Big%20smile     

Exactly. That's what I'm talkin' about. I don't think I've ever taken my bike to a shop to be serviced, and as a result I know all about every little part and make shift fix on my bike, and know how to fix it and where to find the causes of problems. Riding a custom setup like mine (singlespeed, etc.), there are often things that the bike shops simply can't help with, so it pays to be creative. Thanks for the info.