Frame Restoration

divernick

Ok so the upgrade is nearing completion, fork is back from the sprayers and is looking the bomb, just waiting on getting decals done.

So with this upgrade I've had a new set of wheels built up as well with hope hubs(new). So my question is do I get a new cassette and chain to go with the shiny new hubs. I bought what I thought was a Shimano rear cassette(via The Hub), but I was given Sram instead :( , the rest of the groupset is Shimano SLX & XT.

Secondly what skewers to go with it? Something light, duarble & anodised. I was gonna go with the KCNC, is this a good idea?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good! I like the way the fork and wheel colours match the frame colours. Everthought of going single speed? I have a GT Avalanche 1.0 frame at home that I am collecting bits for to build a SS. Frame, seat, seatpost and stem sorted. On the prowl for the rest... It's getting harder to steal grocery money nowadays...!! :lol:

Looking good! I like the way the fork and wheel colours match the frame colours. Everthought of going single speed? I have a GT Avalanche 1.0 frame at home that I am collecting bits for to build a SS. Frame, seat, seatpost and stem sorted. On the prowl for the rest... It's getting harder to steal grocery money nowadays...!! :lol:

I was seriously considering a single speed, think I'll leave that for a cruiser type bike, or when these parts all eventually die. So undeceided on the frame though, as its all come out looking sweet with the plain brushed ali frame. Only thing left to do with be upgrade the seat post, stem & bars. Then eventually change brakes.

It rides so nice, I forgot what it felt like to ride a hardtail. Ive got it moved into my bedroom along with my other bike(mother in law is over from Oz, doh)

I stole too much grocery money this last month, and the missus wanted to on holiday with her mother, go figure :lol:

Very nice.

Black n' red.

my Fave for machinery.

Thanks :thumbup: to go with the white & blue full suspension. My white & black Knights.

That's really turned out great, I would remove the V Brake bosses on the fork though.

That's really turned out great, I would remove the V Brake bosses on the fork though.

Did think about it, would have had to have cut them off and done a bit of fabrication, also would have to have done it before re-spray, too late now though.

That's odd, they usually screw in. That bike looks so much happier without the slicsk on!

I agree that it looks great. Nice work.

I also agree that the brake bosses should come out. It's a Marzocchi fork so the bosses just unscrew. I have some special Marzocchi plus for the holes, the one plug is a brake hose guide, the other is a blank. They cost a couple of bob.

I agree that it looks great. Nice work.

I also agree that the brake bosses should come out. It's a Marzocchi fork so the bosses just unscrew. I have some special Marzocchi plus for the holes, the one plug is a brake hose guide, the other is a blank. They cost a couple of bob.

Ok cool, I didn't realise that they could come out. I was under the impression that they were just part of the fork. I'll check tonight just to make 100% sure. If so I will take a couple of those plugs then.

Thanks for that. :thumbup:

Johan if those plugs you mention above will fit on an RST fork can I take three sets off your hands please? I've got one of the older RST M29s on my SS which came equipped for V-brakes and it's left horrible holes where I removed the tabs. Same on the back of the wifey's older Santa Cruz.

OK, I just checked my stock. I have the brake hose holder side but not the plug side in stock. R30 bucks each.

This is what the plugs and, incidentally, the brake bosses look like.

post-1761-0-05720300-1300381567.jpg

The boss screws out with a 9mm (odd size) spanner, often requiring huge force.

This is what the brake hose boss holder thing looks like in situ.

post-1761-0-08205300-1300381279.jpg

This is what the plain plug looks like. I don't seen to have any of these in stock. Perhaps a 2nd hand one or two if I look through my scrap.

post-1761-0-84936600-1300381481.jpg

Two of you have asked for these. Please send me an e-mail with your details and I'll get it to you.

My e-mail is the obvious: firstnameatyellowsaddledotceeodotzeda/

Edited by Johan Bornman

Johan if those plugs you mention above will fit on an RST fork can I take three sets off your hands please? I've got one of the older RST M29s on my SS which came equipped for V-brakes and it's left horrible holes where I removed the tabs. Same on the back of the wifey's older Santa Cruz.

I think the V-brake boss is standard - 8mm. Thus, they will fit.