That Dam Cow

DMD 1

On Sunday the 12 Dec the DMD boys decided to hit the trails at Oak Valley. We were all worked up as the Oak Valley routes are legionary. I have not ridden there in the past six months and was hugely impressed with the trail development that has gone on there in the past year. I am sure the trail development has got something to do with the route being incorporated in the Cape Epic and the Wine 2 Whales routes.

After a minor spill that saw A almost hug a tree stump and G-man breaking a chain we were at the second dam when Rob points out a huge bull. Man that was a monster of a bovine. As we looked into the distance we saw Craig riding towards a docile group of cows. As he was almost upon the cows one rather insignificant giver of milk decided these dam riders were not passing. The cow turned on its heals and mock charged Craig with much snorting. Needless to say Craig came to a brake dust induced standing holt. We had buy this stage regrouped and the general comment was what the "F" you going to let a cow stop you. So I put on my brave face and took on the cow. As I headed past the giver of milk decided other wise. It snorted and started running along side me. Well my cadence suddenly increased dramatically and with a burst of speed got past. I turned around only to see my 4 mates waiting. It was Robs turn and the dam cow did the same to him. By this stage all I could do was laugh at the looks on my mates faces as the did not want to take on the cow. Much name calling ensued with my mates taking the chicken run. They went off the route and walked along the edge of the dam to get around the cows. This was so that they could dump the bike and jump into the dam if required. As I said CHICKENS.

Back to the awesome route again. We headed towards the back top point of the route and had a quick breakfast break. On the way down some of us had some spills again. Well not some us it was me. The route brings out the smile factor as its amazing with the trails cut into the hill side and the single track is smooth yet tight. Bar ends are a real hindrance as I caught the side of my bar ends twice on the trees. Thank goodness it was only a glancing blow to the bar ends and I was not rapped around a tree.

On the way down after some fast flowing track with berms in all the right places I again saw some cows in dam close proximity to the route. The choices were do I burn past the buggers or do I take the cautious option a walk past the buggers. Well the burn it baby option was my choice, things were going well until one young milk udder sucker decided to bolt up across the track a few meters in front of me. I slammed on the brakes and let out a few choice swear words at the young udder sucker.

After the ride we all met at Peregrine farm stall and had a real meat pie that was the kind that does not give you heart burn. We chatted about the route and it was decided it was a real winner and we have to go back again. Oh yes part of the route is going to be used in the Dirtopia 24 hour race at the end of January 2011, we can’t wait.

:clap:

Edited by DMD 1

:D :D Did you eat the meat (read cow) pie to get back on the cows!?

Yip it was a good old fashioned pepper STEAK, full of juicy cow meat ;)

There was the case of the "mad/ crazy" cows that killed a couple ramblers in Switzerland recently.

Nah - in SA, cows are like the gov't - full of threats but when it comes to crunch time, no follow through :clap: :clap: