Rear Der Cable stretch

Honkdonk

Which websites are better for checking this out(online mechanics)? Im always nervous just playing around with this, I think Im gonna cock something up. Its something Ive got too learn how to do properly

You tube has clips of most if not all bike maint tasks, for a book i would suggest Park Blue Book, it describes in detail how to and what tools are required for each task.

You tube has clips of most if not all bike maint tasks, for a book i would suggest Park Blue Book, it describes in detail how to and what tools are required for each task.

Yeah, ive checked out searches on You tube, was just wondering if there are better ones then others. Definitely wanna do as much as I can. Ive got the Park Book already, like too see it done though. Hence I'm gonna spend a day at a bike shop :thumbup:

Neither you or your fancy bike components are strong enough to stretch a cable.

Why are Gore cables liked so much? Because idiots can then go around bragging that their cables cost as much as the annual income of a mineworker, that's why. Also known as verbal wanking.

:clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: EK wil nie 'n bike mech wrench kursus by jou kom loop nie maar daai kursus in verbale kastyding ...... iets soos jy stuur hom na sy moer toe en hy laaik dit!!!!!!! Jy kan geld maak daaruit!!!!!!!

When I replace an RD cable, I release the cable by clicking the gear lever down all the way to where the cable is in its most relaxed state, before removing the original cable. Then screw the barrel adjuster on the derailleur all the way in (same way you close a tap). With no cable connected, the derailleur will also be in the relaxed position (usually the smallest cog ... unless it's a Rapid Rise model). Now connect the cable, ensuring there is no excess slack and tighten the pinch bolt. Then elevate the back wheel and start turning the crank. Nothing will happen, except that your back wheel starts turning. Click the gear lever once to get to the next gear ... typically, the derailleur won't actually move the chain to the next gear yet. While continuing to turn the crank, unscrew the barrel adjuster until the chain hops to the next gear. Note that you may have over-adjusted the cable slightly at this point (in which case you'll need to screw it back in a half turn or so). But cycle through the gears in both directions (up and down the cassette), before making the final tweaks.

As Big H says, check your cable sheaths are OK. That is a fairly common cause of misshifts. Also replace the cables if that hasn't been done recently. Sticky cables cause bad shifting.

Good luck.

Always remeber to change cables & housing....BOTH!!

Yeah, ive checked out searches on You tube, was just wondering if there are better ones then others. Definitely wanna do as much as I can. Ive got the Park Book already, like too see it done though. Hence I'm gonna spend a day at a bike shop :thumbup:

I might have some other video links on my work laptop,

You lucky with the bike shop letting you spend time there, they can be reluctant to show their skills.

Nice to see all the replies. Some say this, some say that. Good thing we have the holidays to account for time spent on wire cable adjustment and dick abouts to get it together. I will be sure to give it my best and report back.

Few things to mention though: Had XTR cable in the past and no stress when it come to this particular problem, maybe the LBS ran out, but they should replace like for like..

The Hub is the best!

Dont be shy speak your mind

I might have some other video links on my work laptop,

You lucky with the bike shop letting you spend time there, they can be reluctant to show their skills.

Sweet, those would be good to check out as well, if possible. The bike shop thing will be more as of an observer, to see methodology in practice. Also to hopefully learn a few tricks of the trade. Master the basics first.

Sweet, those would be good to check out as well, if possible. The bike shop thing will be more as of an observer, to see methodology in practice. Also to hopefully learn a few tricks of the trade. Master the basics first.

Here you go. Just type in what you want e.g "fix rear derailer" in search function

http://www.ehow.com/