Knee pain

Luisn

I've not been able to ride or train for the last 5 weeks due to a bad back, so went to the Gym yesterday for my first session since I was laid off, I did 45mins on the spinning bike and then 30mins on the cross trainer. When I got home both my knees where extremely painful, on the front of the knee cap. When I tried to bend both knees the pain was immense. I didn't over do it at all.

What could have caused this? I've noticed that there is also a loudish clicking sound coming from both knee caps and some weird feeling clicks when I bend my knees back & forth. I do understand its hard to diagnose something like this over a forum.

The training is something I did all the time before the back problem(bodyboarding, not from incorrect bike set-up) could it be just that I have not trained for a while, or possibly the set-up on the spinning bikes?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have had knee pain(s) for the past two years on and off. Just when u think its better then another pain starts.

I have been for an op, four different Physio's and a Biokineticist. I had very little success. Some did massage, some did strength exercises etc. My last physio did however manage to solve the problem. It was a weak muscle as well as tight muscles. We did some strength exercises BUT the major impact was just plain and simple stretching. I cant emphasis how much it helped. I stretch before, during and after rides. Whenever I feel some slight tightness (not pain) and I must say even when i had pain on the front of my knee I streched for 1 day before a ride and instaed of riding for 1 hour I could easily ride for 3 hours with NO pain.

Massga eis also an option but its basically loosening the tight muscles and its costly too.

I also use a roller maybe once or twice a week more as a prevantative tool.

Good luck, hope my advice helps.

I do notice that not a lot of people stretch after or before. After some time with a Bio sorting out a knee issue I do area specific stretches as part of my activity and have had no issues since.

I suggest going to the Bio - I feel they understand more than GP about the issues with active people like cyclist and will give you specific stretches and routines rather than just sending you to the pharmacy for some narcotics to mask the problem.

Get it sorted properly as this will affect you again and again when you least want it to

If you have a previous knee injury it could also be the changing of the season. I've found that by keeping the knee warm there's a huge difference in comparison when it's not covered.

I have also had similar issues...Problem was diagnosed as weak muscles on one side as well as some alignment/posture issues. Did some strength exercises to rectify that problem and now also do a lot more stretching. Have also had a session at a chiropractor to sort out the alignment issues. Have not had any problems since, as long as I keep to my stretches. I also stretch during races whenever I feel a niggle...Then again, I ride and dont really race, so that is not an issue

Thanks for all the replies. It seems that it could well have been a stretching issue, I did stretch before and after maybe not enough and possibly doing a little to much(even though I didn't over do it) The pain has all but disappeared today, but still have these weird sounding clicks, which I can feel when I put my hand on either knee.

I'll go see my Chiro this weekend(freebie :clap: ) and see what she says.

I also have a click, but my one physio said lots of people do and I dont find it bothers me yet.

I do agree with hboli4 that stretching will sometimes help alleviate the problem caused by a weak muscle somewhere else. ie. you stretch the strong muscle on the opposite side of the weak one as it becomes tight from working harder to compensate for the weak ones lack of work. If you do not stretch it cause an imbalance in the tracking(movement) of the knee cap and knee which results in pain.

Another thing I found out is that I had a weak iliopsoas muscle(large muscle that lifts the leg, inside of leg from hip to knee) and therefore had muscles that attatch to my ITB (outside of leg) much stronger and this also placed strain on my ITB as a result of overcompansation. Another probloem that i had was my quads were very tight which caused pain on the kneecap almost right under the skin.

As can be seen tight muscles aggravate joints hugely.

Hope it all helps.