MTB Upgrade - 8 speed to 9 speed & tubeless wheelset

Caerus

I'm busy trying to upgrade the wifes bike bit by bit. Its currently an 8 speed GT, I wanna eventually convert it to 9 speed. So firstly I'm having a set of tubeless wheels made up as the first upgrade,Its what to do next that gets a bit tricky. So I have a couple questions....

1. Where can I get red nipples and Dbl butted spokes from? CWC doesn't have anything in stock at the moment. So is there a hubber/ another online shop besides CWC & buycycle that can help?
  2. I cant afford to do the whole conversion at once, but since I'm having the wheelset done, should I get a new 9 speed cassette for the wheelset build, will that work with a 8 speed setup(shifters & crankset?) Or should I just stick with the current 8 speed cassette & setup? What to do, what to do :unsure:

Any suggestions/ advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Stick to the 8 speed crank, shifters and casette. The casette should fit fine on the new wheels.

Stick to the 8 speed crank, shifters and casette. The casette should fit fine on the new wheels.

Ive thought about it, but the parts a not that great. Its definatly an option.

caerus

You will not be able to run your shifters to 9 speed so will have to change all. If you have a brake/shifter lever combo you will be in for bigger cost.

What components do you have on at present? If they are Shimano Deore, they might be a bit heavy but they will outlast most of the fancy new stuff, so dont write them off too quickly.

Speak to JB at Yellow Saddle for the spokes and nipples he will have stock

Ok cool, thanks for that. Will PM him

caerus

You will not be able to run your shifters to 9 speed so will have to change all. If you have a brake/shifter lever combo you will be in for bigger cost.

What components do you have on at present? If they are Shimano Deore, they might be a bit heavy but they will outlast most of the fancy new stuff, so dont write them off too quickly.

Ive got a SLX 9 speed cassette that has had about 500km mileage, the current parts are Shimano Acera(not too good). So i was thinking of a new XT crankset for me, so she would get hand me down SLX crankset. Then get some 9 speed 2nd hand shifters from the hub.

Im just worried that the cheap & nasty 8 speed cassette will damage the freehub body(Hope Rear Hub) and cause problems later on. So may need to spend the money now, but dont really want too.

I think I convincing myself