Riser bar height, how is it calculated

SwissVan

If a Riser bar is advertised as being a 30mm riser bar, where exactly does the 30mm measurement refer to?

Difference in height from the stem location to the handle bar grip location

OR

Difference in height from the stem location to the end of the "S" bend.

Or ?

I want to change bars but not sure how to compare my present riser bar with others online. The company that made my bar are gone, no longer in business.

Generally height diff from stem to high point of the rise...something like that I think. Been a while since I measured.

15mm rise is about average, 30mm is quite noticeable and anything below 15mm is suppose is considered XC or marathon related.... Give me the 15mm riser and make it nice and wide I say!!!

How do you even know which riser bar to go for?

BING....!

Thats why I asked the original question.

I plan to order either a Ritchey or Easton bar from an online shop (you think parts are expensive in SA, try here...) But want to make sure the one I order is the same or slightly less of a rise than my current bar.

I can measure my current bar but not the ones on line, so if I know how to correctly measure mine then voila I can order a new one online and know I'm getting the same riser height (compared to my current bar).

Would hate to order it and find out its to low / high.

BING....!

Thats why I asked the original question.

I plan to order either a Ritchey or Easton bar from an online shop (you think parts are expensive in SA, try here...) But want to make sure the one I order is the same or slightly less of a rise than my current bar.

I can measure my current bar but not the ones on line, so if I know how to correctly measure mine then voila I can order a new one online and know I'm getting the same riser height (compared to my current bar).

Would hate to order it and find out its to low / high.

How did you even settle on the one youve currently got, Ive just stuck with what comes on both my bikes, but always wanted to know if it is correct for me. Is it one of those costly exercises in trying differant ones out? Is the angle right, is the riser to high or too low, how did the manufacturer even settle on the geometry of their models. Damn so many unanswered questions. :(

How did you even settle on the one youve currently got, Ive just stuck with what comes on both my bikes, but always wanted to know if it is correct for me. Is it one of those costly exercises in trying differant ones out? Is the angle right, is the riser to high or too low, how did the manufacturer even settle on the geometry of their models. Damn so many unanswered questions. :(

I had a low XC riser before and which I was not entirely happy with (to much sweep imo). When I ordered my new bike I went to the LBS and had a look at some he had in stock and chose one based on a short "feel" around the shop. This one turned out fine but I now want to put bar ends on and there is not enough room left and the bar is no longer available hence looking for a new one.

I guess the geometry is pretty standard within a few degrees / mm's based on experiance over the years.