Giant Paint qaulity

iRob

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blaming the tape is the lamest excuse I've ever seen and whoever said that must be pretty dumb or have no experience applying decals or tape to anything.

I've applied many different kinds of tape and decals to bike frames and NEVER has paint flaked. Something got screwed up at the factory when that frame was painted because on my 2 Anthem X0's, using 3M helicopter tape that sticks like crazy, and other tapes + decals, NO paint issues happened when removing them. One time I left the decals (vinyl) on for so long that they actually flaked when I removed them... but the paint/clearcoat was perfect.

How many cars do you see driving around with decals, stickers or VPN on their bonnets? Do you ever see a car needing a repaint after stickers have been removed? Do you see every second bicycle needing a respray because decals or tape had been removed? C'mmon!!! Get real.

A proper paint job will never flake. By looking at the FD clamp section it looks like you'll wash the paint off this frame with a pressure washer...

It shouldn't be too difficult to get the decal/sticker myth above busted by any proper paint shop.

Paint just doesn't flake off THAT easily...

Find out what the story is with that? They are passing the buck here, its not good enough. Let them test there "theory" that its down to the tape. So by sticking cable rub stickers on my frame going to void my warrenty? Even take the frame to a good panel beaters or spray painters, get another opinion

Good thing I'm on the ball. I need a job with Tumbleweeds consumer watchdog.

I also had that concern, Giant makes a valid point, the tape gets tricky where you paste it over the edge of a decal, something I did on the headtube, in an attempt to protect my frame.

Ok, so I can understand how it does possibly have an effect. But the FD area?

As a question, what do manufacturers suggest we do to protect our frames? We do afterall spend some serious $$$ on them.

I've emaile Giant about it, and have arranged (before my correspondence was posted) to come and see what the bike looks like in its stripped down form.

I'm unsure guys. I'm a reasonable man, I'm also an educated man.

This all does seem wrong, hence me posting this thread.

Hi again.

after a face to face discussion Giant it seems I have 3 options.

1) Have the frame sent to one of their people, have the front sanded down and resprayed, and a vinyl decal installed and clear coated.

2) Send it to one of my people have the front sanded down and resprayed, and a vinyl decal installed and clear coated.

3) Have some lose vinyl stickers made and paste them on the front, and then just live with it like that. \

Yes I am bummed, but Giant, is acting, giant and won't budge.

Here goes a deep sigh followed by the sound of footsteps resulting from me moving on.

I tried.

That sucks mate, still think they are pulling a dodgy one here. The fact that the paint was pealing of on a part of the frame that didnt even have a piece of tape on makes no sense. If I was you, I would email Giant head office and see what they say.

How do I contact them? I've found an email address for the HR department in the US...

I'd like to hear from Giant international if this sort of thing is common, and if it is sugges they do something to their factory quality controls to put and end to it.

Giant SA is no longer interested in hearing this case.

Where do you stop? What does it take for Giant (Dragons) to do what every other bike manufacturer would do and replace the frame?

Something went wrong with the clearcoat of the this frame....

Now DRAGONS, when you had a issue with CWC you said that "grey" products dont carry backup etc etc....

Please show me your backup of this product....iRob I bet you if this was a frame bought from CWC you would have had a new one in your hands allready...

Dragons, come on....you are suppose to fight with Giant international on BEHALF of the client.....Show us why we pay more of "non-grey" and what your warrentee means

Edited by coenie

Where do you stop? What does it take for Giant (Dragons) to do what every other bike manufacturer would do and replace the frame?

Small claims court? Will not cost you a thing.....get a judge to rule on it?

This frame was purchased through a reputable GIANT dealer.

I have the proof of purchase etc.

Small claims court? Will not cost you a thing.....get a judge to rule on it?

I think that would be going a bit overboard. I'm not one for legal crap. I'll just REALLY think twice before I buy another Giant. Even though Ive had 10 AND have been a big fan for over 20 years!!!

On behalf of Dragons Sports:

All concerned:

re: Anthem X frame with damaged paint:

Unfortunately the frame in question was judged not to be a warranty claim. Dragons Sports offered various options for repairing the damage caused by the client at no charge.

All legitimate claims are fairly assessed and promptly completed.

Warranty Manager

Dragons Sports

Edited by Ghostface