Complete Bike import

nero123

Kind of along the same lines, but does anyone know what the deal is with bringing a bike in to SA to ride it while on vacation, and then take it back out?

You may have to be a deposit to cover potential duties. This would be refunded when you show you are taking the same bike back out again.

Here's the SARS guide for travellers:

http://www.sars.gov.za/home.asp?pid=4150&tid=65&s=pubs&show=1203#Travellers%20Guide%20-%20Customs%20requirements%20when%20entering%20and%20leaving%20South%20Africa

davidw is correct - refer SARS http://www.sars.gov.za/home.asp?pid=2630

See schedule 1, part 1, section 87.12 of the customs tariff book - 15% duties and 14% VAT on the declared purchase price

It will work in your favour if the bike is stripped and shipped separately - even a day or two apart as "bicycle parts" are duty free and only VAT paid on the purchase price - section 87.14

Thanks, this is excellent, useful info! I didn't know that there isn't duty on bicycle parts... CRC here I come!!

I'm sure I've mentioned this before and its my only claim to fame :blush: - for the 1st Cape Epic I was involved in the freight for the Rotwild team, they brought in bikes and stack of spares, we paid a deposit to Customs pending all the kit going out again after the race, when they checked the 'spares' they had used some tyres and handle bars etc. and the officer involved deemed enough spares had remained in the country to constitute a whole bike and the deducted the amount equivalent to the Duty on a whole bike from their deposit......

so I suppose it depends on who you get on the day and what mood he's in.....

I'm sure I've mentioned this before and its my only claim to fame :blush: - for the 1st Cape Epic I was involved in the freight for the Rotwild team, they brought in bikes and stack of spares, we paid a deposit to Customs pending all the kit going out again after the race, when they checked the 'spares' they had used some tyres and handle bars etc. and the officer involved deemed enough spares had remained in the country to constitute a whole bike and the deducted the amount equivalent to the Duty on a whole bike from their deposit......

so I suppose it depends on who you get on the day and what mood he's in.....

You obviously didn't show some skin... :P

If you pay for a complete bike and ask the supplier to break it up to avoid duty that is dishonest. What next? Jumping red robots?