[Event] Lighthouse To Lighthouse

knippie

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone with experience of the race have some tips on riding the race? This will be my first, longest MTB race before this was Seweweekspoort 80km and I did Hell and Back and Oudtshoorn 3 day last year, how does this race compare? Im thinking i might be a bit underprepared... blink.gif blink.gif what is cutoff time on each stage?
Does anyone with experience of the race have some tips on riding the race? This will be my first, longest MTB race before this was Seweweekspoort 80km and I did Hell and Back and Oudtshoorn 3 day last year, how does this race compare? Im thinking i might be a bit underprepared... blink.gif blink.gif what is cutoff time on each stage?
I did the race last year with my wife, it is not too technicical, the only issue was that the race officials were few and scarce, there was about 15km of sand to transverse per day, the route on the beach was also not well marked. I really hate to walk, had to walk several times when the sand was too soft or the stones on the beach too loose, not willing to repeat the exercise.

I did the race last year with my wife, it is not too technicical, the only issue was that the race officials were few and scarce, there was about 15km of sand to transverse per day, the route on the beach was also not well marked. I really hate to walk, had to walk several times when the sand was too soft or the stones on the beach too loose, not willing to repeat the exercise.

I'm thinking of doing just the one way, but just saw on the internet its R440!! What do you think - is it worth R440? Looks like its just water along the road and bananas halfway. (not that I'm doing it for the food) But what else except the wonderful ocean and scenery do you get for R440? I have accomodation, so don't need that.

Edited by lollos

• 2 weeks later...

Rode this last year for the first time. For an event that hardly has any sponsors they do a magnificent job. I will be back this year, it’s a must do at least once for any MTBer. For a two day event over magnificent terrain it’s a BARGAIN.

There are short comings, but really nothing to stress about. I suggest you go well prepared and you will enjoy it. In other words, no frilly stuff just plain old good fun and some sand :eek: .

Looking forward to it. Hope I'm fit enough, and that the 29er works nicely in the sand :mellow:

We were supporters last year, and it looked like a fun event. Nothing fancy or flashy, and keeps the price down I guess. :thumbup:

I'm thinking of doing just the one way, but just saw on the internet its R440!! What do you think - is it worth R440? Looks like its just water along the road and bananas halfway. (not that I'm doing it for the food) But what else except the wonderful ocean and scenery do you get for R440? I have accomodation, so don't need that.

The best value for money there is.. DO IT!

Distance 89.57km = 56milies.

Change settings to metric to also get climbing in meters and not ft.

Edited by MorewoodMad

What an awesome race. Great food. Super cool to ride on the beach too.

It was my longest event by far (Buffet Olives 45km was the longest prior) and I SUFFERED in the wind yesterday. Definitely pushed too hard at the beginning trying to keep with bunches that were too strong for me and making sure I was taking my turn at the front. By Elim I was riding alone again and just didn't have the juice to cling onto the groups passing me.

The last bit on the beach and through gansbaai beach front was WAY longer than I remember it being at the start of the race, seemed to go on forever.

I will be back for sure though, it feels awesome to complete something that was (for me) so tough.

What an awesome race. Great food. Super cool to ride on the beach too.

It was my longest event by far (Buffet Olives 45km was the longest prior) and I SUFFERED in the wind yesterday. Definitely pushed too hard at the beginning trying to keep with bunches that were too strong for me and making sure I was taking my turn at the front. By Elim I was riding alone again and just didn't have the juice to cling onto the groups passing me.

The last bit on the beach and through gansbaai beach front was WAY longer than I remember it being at the start of the race, seemed to go on forever.

I will be back for sure though, it feels awesome to complete something that was (for me) so tough.

Well done! Everyone that finished yesterday should feel a sense of accomplishment. It was the longest and hardest day I've spent on a bike ever (just under 7 hours). Day 1 was a "breeze" compared to yesterday.

That last 10k's back to the lighthouse also felt way longer than the day before.

Also think I'll be back next year.

Well done! Everyone that finished yesterday should feel a sense of accomplishment. It was the longest and hardest day I've spent on a bike ever (just under 7 hours). Day 1 was a "breeze" compared to yesterday.

That last 10k's back to the lighthouse also felt way longer than the day before.

Also think I'll be back next year.

This was my first Lighthouse 2 Lighthouse and I had an excellent time! Beautiful race, great vibe, friendly smiles all round and so much food. :) It's a tough event though and 103 kilometres into a headwind will test you mentally! Not to mention those 25km in the sand on each day. Strangely enough and probably fortuitously I had a bad day on day 1 and felt stronger on day 2 when I really needed it. But like everyone else I'm beginning to realise, those last 10k's into Gansbaai along the beach front completely broke me!

There is also a 30km gravel road drag in the middle of the race that is mind numbing/heartbreaking/frustrating/mentally disturbing and a bunch of other things - the road just doesn't do anything except stretch out into the distance, with no sections at all to freewheel and recover, you are fighting against the wind all the way, punctuated with corrugated ridges along the way. Tough.

It's not a technical race at all (apart from the sand), so don't come thinking singletrack and huge climbs, but it tests you in other ways and you have the privilege of riding on some beautiful pristine beaches with a great crowd of riders. It's also a race tailor made for 29ers. Not that I have one!

Thanks to the organisers for a great event. I saw some photographers along the way, anyone know where you can see some photos of the ride along with the official results?

Edited by dailycrank