Tubbies vs Clinchers

TallBoy

All,

I am a seasoned MTBer in the process of building up a road bike (Bianchi C2C Infinito with Chorus). I am not sure which type of rims to go with - tubular or regular (aka clincher?). I understand that tubular is tube and tyre in one while the latter is the normal tyre with a seperate inner tube.

However, what exactly are the pros / cons of each?

MTBing with tubeless tyres has really transformed my MTB experience - was just wondering if there were similar innovations in the roadie world on which I am unsighted?

Also any recommendations on wheelsets in the R6k to R9k price range for the fuller rider (98kg).

Thanks for the help.

The is a difference between the two when it come's to performance. But not the difference you experienced when changing your MTB wheels to tubeless. Road Tubulars roll better that normal tyres and tubes.

The problems accur when you have a puncture with Road (Tubbies) you need to have a spare tubbie with you unless you are a racing pro and have backup for a spare wheel.

What I have notice in most cases that these guys and girls and decent racing wheels which cost over 10K and are super light then they go and glue cheap tubbies on them which they have also put slime into.

Now that is just stupid if you are racing with tubbies you should not be putting slime into those tube that decieves the whole dam point of getting the best rolling resistance and then they weigh a ton.

After experiencing with stuff it would be better to have bought the clincher wheels set with a decent set of tyres and light weight tubes. This rolls better than the cheap tubbies with slime in it.

Then if you going to be competitive and racing then yes get yourself two sets of wheels one to train on (Clincher) and then one decent set to race on (Tubbies) but be prepared if you puncture that its a mission to remove and re-glue the tubbie compared to just changing the tube.

Then you also get some wheels that are two way fit that means you can put a road tyre on it with out a tube to ride low pressure on your road bike. Now thats a load of bull. Who would want to ride low pressure on there road wheels. That was designed for the mountainbikers to stop snake bites when you have less than 2Barr in the wheel.

So good luck and I am sure that you are going to be getting loads of answers so you need to decide.

Edited by Big J-WP

The is a difference between the two when it come's to performance. But not the difference you experienced when changing your MTB wheels to tubeless. Road Tubulars roll better that normal tyres and tubes.

The problems accur when you have a puncture with Road (Tubbies) you need to have a spare tubbie with you unless you are a racing pro and have backup for a spare wheel.

What I have notice in most cases that these guys and girls and decent racing wheels which cost over 10K and are super light then they go and glue cheap tubbies on them which they have also put slime into.

Now that is just stupid if you are racing with tubbies you should not be putting slime into those tube that decieves the whole dam point of getting the best rolling resistance and then they weigh a ton.

After experiencing with stuff it would be better to have bought the clincher wheels set with a decent set of tyres and light weight tubes. This rolls better than the cheap tubbies with slime in it.

Then if you going to be competitive and racing then yes get yourself two sets of wheels one to train on (Clincher) and then one decent set to race on (Tubbies) but be prepared if you puncture that its a mission to remove and re-glue the tubbie compared to just changing the tube.

Then you also get some wheels that are two way fit that means you can put a road tyre on it with out a tube to ride low pressure on your road bike. Now thats a load of bull. Who would want to ride low pressure on there road wheels. That was designed for the mountainbikers to stop snake bites when you have less than 2Barr in the wheel.

So good luck and I am sure that you are going to be getting loads of answers so you need to decide.

thanks for the info will go for clinchers on my bike :thumbup:

Tubulars offer much greater aero dynamics, rolling resistance and is ultimately more energy efficient than clinchers. There is quite a different "feel" to them as well.

I am not a pro, and I most defenitley do not and wont put any slime in my tubbies. Defeats the purpose and I am still not convinced that the slime will be of much benefit under those extreme pressures, when a tubby blows, it blows and no amount of slime is gonna stop that.

That said, I use them for racing only. Getting stuck out in the middle of nowhere on a training ride is not fun and I am not keen on carrying an extra tubby in my back pocket either. Clinchers for training.

Either way, getting a flat in a race whether you are using tubbies or clinchers, you can kiss your group goodbye! But it does not necessary mean the end of your race. You can use those inflatable canned stuff the TT guys use for the tubulars if the hole is not to big. Otherwise phone home or the sweep vehicle!

Removing and gluing a new tubby isnt that much of a mission either, one you have done it, it is straight forward.

You need some patients for the glue to dry properly, about 2 to 3 days, which is not a problem because we race 6 to 7 days apart BUT it can become expensive.