Greasing those cheap-cheap forks

RodTi

Thanks for your concern, Redsox :rolleyes:

I was aware of the label - mine still has it on. I take it with a pinch of salt. Probably intended for consumption in the US. Fact is, this fork ain't all that different to the first ones that came out not so many moons ago - and then they were being used by nutters doing downhill - since some suspension was better than no suspension...

With this being said - this was only ever going to be used on my SS, mainly for tar riding, until I decided whether to go rigid, or upgrade.

As it stands - I've apparently made my decision - since I just took the plunge on an old-skool Fox F80RL, that still appears to be mint, and can handle my v-brakes...

I was considering giving this one away on the Hub - but thanks to you, I'm wondering if anyone might still take it? Maybe they are some souls out there who are willing to 'live on the edge'? <_<

Alternatively, might approach a LBS suggested by Mr. Brunson, who apparently helps out the not-so-fortunate in getting bikes put together - maybe one of those guys will have what it takes to ignore a sticker.

Don't be a girls pink blouse :angry:

If you saw some of the stuff we started riding with around '98/99 you would be shocked and I never remember a fork braking. Lots of other stuff but not forks ..... just saying :rolleyes: ;)

Thanks for your concern, Redsox :rolleyes:

I was aware of the label - mine still has it on. I take it with a pinch of salt. Probably intended for consumption in the US. Fact is, this fork ain't all that different to the first ones that came out not so many moons ago - and then they were being used by nutters doing downhill - since some suspension was better than no suspension...

With this being said - this was only ever going to be used on my SS, mainly for tar riding, until I decided whether to go rigid, or upgrade.

As it stands - I've apparently made my decision - since I just took the plunge on an old-skool Fox F80RL, that still appears to be mint, and can handle my v-brakes...

I was considering giving this one away on the Hub - but thanks to you, I'm wondering if anyone might still take it? Maybe they are some souls out there who are willing to 'live on the edge'? dry.gif

Alternatively, might approach a LBS suggested by Mr. Brunson, who apparently helps out the not-so-fortunate in getting bikes put together - maybe one of those guys will have what it takes to ignore a sticker.

I wonder what that stickers all about then, surely the forks were meant for a MTB, which requires it to go offroad. I can also understand the concern it might just give up the ghost one day when you least expect it. :(

Hope you haven't turfed the fork... A quick yahoo google search brought me this link... hope it helps

http://srsuntour-files.dbap.de/_public/tuningbase/downloadarea/catalogs/SRSuntour_Workshop_Book.pdf

A quick reference to the lube article in issue 8 of Treadmag (pg 62)... "Some general finding are that you can't really buy a 'bad' lube, but that there are options out there which will allow you to find the lube that suits your riding best."

Likewise here, there are also no 'bad' forks, just the right fork for the right application.

Don't be a girls pink blouse :angry: :D :D :D

If you saw some of the stuff we started riding with around '98/99 you would be shocked and I never remember a fork braking BREAKING. Lots of other stuff but not forks ..... just saying :rolleyes: ;)

There - fixed the break

Otherwise agree 100%

(although I have seen forks break, but don't tell redsox, cause he might leave and become a roadie!)

Edited by The Drongo

Hope you haven't turfed the fork... A quick yahoo google search brought me this link... hope it helps

http://srsuntour-files.dbap.de/_public/tuningbase/downloadarea/catalogs/SRSuntour_Workshop_Book.pdf

A quick reference to the lube article in issue 8 of Treadmag (pg 62)... "Some general finding are that you can't really buy a 'bad' lube, but that there are options out there which will allow you to find the lube that suits your riding best."

Likewise here, there are also no 'bad' forks, just the right fork for the right application.

Thanks Frosty,

That's way more useful than what I managed to find... :thumbup:

Unfortunately, I am woefully short of tools - and whereas purchasing some of those will no doubt stand me in good stead going forward, I'm reluctant to spend money on this, particularly after having now taken the plunge on the other fork...

Think I'll put it up for "sale" on the Hub, for a pack of smarties, and buyer to cover postage costs... Pretty sure someone out there might have use for it - failing which, it will be donated to a LBS that might help a brother out...

Thanks Frosty,

That's way more useful than what I managed to find... :thumbup:

Unfortunately, I am woefully short of tools - and whereas purchasing some of those will no doubt stand me in good stead going forward, I'm reluctant to spend money on this, particularly after having now taken the plunge on the other fork...

Think I'll put it up for "sale" on the Hub, for a pack of smarties, and buyer to cover postage costs... Pretty sure someone out there might have use for it - failing which, it will be donated to a LBS that might help a brother out...

No problem

Buying a tool here and there every other month and before you know it... you have a complete set of tools.

Don't be a girls pink blouse :angry:

If you saw some of the stuff we started riding with around '98/99 you would be shocked and I never remember a fork braking. Lots of other stuff but not forks ..... just saying :rolleyes: ;)

Ha! If he saw some of the stuff we raced DH with in the early 90s, he'd be even more shocked. In the late 90s, I modified an RST 381 with cut-up tubes (meant to serve as seals) and coils from a RockShox Indy into an "open bath" fork which I raced DH with (and didn't do too badly, mind you). The crown was so flexy it used to go out of allignment and I'd have to straighten it after each run by grabbing the wheel between my knees and twisting the bars. My brother did the same thing with his. Once a week we'd open everything up and fill up with oil, because most of it had leaked out the bottom past the tube-seals. Good times!

We're both still alive, and I never once needed a prayer ;)

Edited by Martin Hattingh