My first tubeless conversion

Caerus

The Stans strips have a valve built in or if you go ghetto then the 24"tube will have a valve.

A vavle is used with tubeless ready rims.

Just to be sure here, Ive got the Stans yellow rim tape, I had to get seperate valves, am I missing anything here? The Stans rim tape is on the rim.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crossmarks should be fine even if they are non ust.

If you are using rim tape then you need valves. If you use rim strips then it has a valve built in. I gather you are on tape and valve option, which is correct.

You must make sure that there is enough rim tape on so that the tire's bead sits on the tape. If they dont touch each other all the way around it wont seal no matter how much sealant you're using. If that is the case, put ome more tape on till they touch.

What do mean by saying that you put bubbles on the tires' sides? You should scoop the suds and fill the tire all around on the inside. It helps by increasing the preasure when you inflate, which forces the tire bead against the rim tape, which then, together with the sealant, causes the seal.

You should not rotate the tire. Rotating lets the sealant go to the apex of the inside of the tire which is not where you need it. You need it between the rim and the tire and you get it there as follows: you put the tire upright against a wall, you inflate it, it should inflate and then start to deflate from the small gaps where the sealant is not getting into, you pick it up in both hands, hold in front of you and shake it back and fro while slowly rotating it. The idea of the shaking is to let the sealant slosh from one side of the tire and rim to the other side. The idea of the rotating is to get to all the gaps.

Sheesh, what a mouthful.

By the way, a compressor works better ;-). If you need to, pack everything in the car, go to the nearest petrol station, do all of the above and experience some 'this guy is nuts' stares.

Just to be sure here, Ive got the Stans yellow rim tape, I had to get seperate valves, am I missing anything here? The Stans rim tape is on the rim.

NO NO NO you need Stans tubelss rims trips they are balck and made of rubber.

Hi IdeJongh

why with the valve at the bottom ? Will this not improve the chance of the bomb causing the sealant to form a ball or blob of rubber ? (Sealant container actually suggests 'not' using a bomb - because of the freezing/solidifying effect causing the ball of rubber to form ?)

I find rolling the tyre around first as you suggest, makes a mess with the stan sealant leaking all over the

place ? (and I don't think I add too much sealant) ? Rolling the wheel seems to move the beads more to the centre - exactly where I don't want them ?

Its purely because you want to press the tyre flat when inflating so the expanding air presses directly onto the sidewalls, pressing them into the rim. I've found, and purely my opinion, not doing the you're more likely to see gaps form between the tyre and the sidewall.

As to the solidifying effect of the sealant - thats why I use OKO, doesnt do it at all, and is thicker, and contains various shapes of particles that help seal any puncture you get. Also doesn't drip out when rotating the wheel beforehand.

Not necessarily. The strips are easier, but tape works as well.

Ive got one person saying rim tape is whats needed and someone else saying rim strips are needed. As in the picture of the rim and old tape, what Ive done is replace the old rim tape with the Yellow Stans rim tape, according to the stans website, ie one strip down the middle. Am I missing something here?

?? NO NO NO you need Stans tubelss? rims? trips? they are balck? and made of rubber.??

Fixed it :

NO Stan. NO yous rims need balck tubelssv rubber trips.

post-1291-0-36352200-1297516204.jpg

(but only the yellow tape with valve also worked for my training wheels)

Edited by Lounge Lizard

Yeah, I think with non-UST tyres you might need to use a compressor, the fit isn't tight enough to start off with to keep air in long enough if the inflation rate is slow.

I did a ghetto conversion with cut-up BMX tubes (also first-time) in December, but I had brand new UST Nevegals, which were a @#$ to get on (could've never managed without soapy water to lube the join between the tyres and the rim/tube), but I managed to get it sealed using just a standard track pump. Follow EtienneB's advice and head to a garage I reckon...

Oh as EttieneB says, you're using tape not strips.

Eish.

Works for some, I dont like. Where is it actually leaking, the rim or the valve/spokes?

If you can't get it to seal, my suggestion is to go the 20" BMX tube route, have dont it many times and works like a bomb (pardon the pun :D )

The tape is to cover the spoke holes but the rubber strips seal the tyres.

My advice go buy 2 20" BMX tubes and do a ghetto conversion.

Goodluck if you get it to work with normal rim tape.

Edited by gummibear

...I think with non-UST tyres you might need to use a compressor...

A bomb really works just as well, but making this difficult is the combination -

- Non-UST tyre

- Non-UST rim

- No rim strips

Which is why the bmx tube might be needed.

?? NO NO NO you need Stans tubelss? rims? trips? they are balck? and made of rubber.??

Fixed it :

NO Stan. NO yous rims need balck tubelssv rubber trips.

(but only the yellow tape with valve also worked for my training wheels)

pic added

post-1291-0-66753700-1297516427.jpg

Edited by Lounge Lizard

Ive got one person saying rim tape is whats needed and someone else saying rim strips are needed. As in the picture of the rim and old tape, what Ive done is replace the old rim tape with the Yellow Stans rim tape, according to the stans website, ie one strip down the middle. Am I missing something here?

Both are correct, you must just decide which one you want to use. Like I said, the rim strips are slightly easier to work with, but, while you have the tape+valve option, use it.

The tape is to cover the spoke holes but the rubber strips seal the tyres.

My advice go buy 2 24"tubes and do a ghetto conversion.

Goodluck if you get it to work with normal rim tape.

Ok so, it can work fine with just the rim tape, but is a bitch to get it too hold the air in. Its better to use the yellow rim tape to cover the holes and use the Stans rim strips. I can use 24" BMX tubes instead of the rim strips.

Ok so, it can work fine with just the rim tape, but is a bitch to get it too hold the air in. Its better to use the yellow rim tape to cover the holes and use the Stans rim strips. I can use 24" BMX tubes instead of the rim strips.

or you can buy the stans rim strips - I find they work better than bmx tube - The problem comes when you have a major tyre/flat fix in the middle of nowhere - then the bomb must work first time - or you walk