My first tubeless conversion

Caerus

Also how much Stans must I put in, Im using 100ml as per Stans website. This maxiss tyre is also quite old, may need to check for any sidewall damage, would a new tyre work better? So maybe I go tomorrow moring to the petrol station, leave the car to be wwashed and do my conversion on the forecourt.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wrap the rim with insulation tape instead of the yellow strips (it's cheaper)

I also prefer the tubeless strips as they are thicker and the tyres seem to seal better.

yeah, ive watched numerous videos today on this, the ghetto version, the stans version as well as a couple others. Seems I'm a bit stooooooooooooopid :blush: and missed a nice cut in the sidewall. Off to the shop I go then.

yeah, ive watched numerous videos today on this, the ghetto version, the stans version as well as a couple others. Seems I'm a bit stooooooooooooopid :blush: and missed a nice cut in the sidewall. Off to the shop I go then.

Hee hee hee

They are Maxiss crossmark, non-ust though. Maybe why its not sealing properly, from what I know they should be ok to use. Why do you say no need for the valve?

I've done this conversion with Maxxis Crossmarks - no problems once you get the knack! I found the only way I could inflate the tyre was with a bomb, but the valve core must be unscrewed and left out! It's the only way you get enough air into the tyre quickly enough.

Also try it without the sealant to see if you can do it first, otherwise you're just going to waste a lot of sealant as it all leaks out the sides of the tyre. Eventually when you get it inflated, you may not have enough sealant left and would have to start all over ..

They are Maxiss crossmark, non-ust though. Maybe why its not sealing properly, from what I know they should be ok to use. Why do you say no need for the valve?

I've done this conversion with Maxxis Crossmarks - no problems once you get the knack! I found the only way I could inflate the tyre was with a bomb, but the valve core must be unscrewed and left out! It's the only way you get enough air into the tyre quickly enough.

Also try it without the sealant to see if you can do it first, otherwise you're just going to waste a lot of sealant as it all leaks out the sides of the tyre. Eventually when you get it inflated, you may not have enough sealant left and would have to start all over ..

Get UST tyres ! if you shopping anyway - it is worth it - better side walls and better tubeless (on normal rim)conversion

(en, ja, daas nie pille vir stooopid nie, sorry)

Edited by Lounge Lizard

If you are getting UST then you can use the rim tape, have a look on the www.notubes.com website, Stan has a few videos there on the options and how its done.

I have been following this thread with interest and can see the errors in taking short cuts

wrt rim tape has anyone ever tried self vulcanising tape instead of rim tape in my mind it does 2 things for the weight of one ? covers the spokes and seals against the tyre ??

I just use Insulation tape and the Valves, but then I also use UST tyres. Had too many issues with sidewall cust on Non UST.

It has just taken me several attempts and alot of wastage of sealant. All times it was leaking air between the valve stem and rim. Using joes conversion strip, conti race king & 29er for what's worth??

Seams to be holding, fingers crossed?

Did I do anything wrong?

• 2 weeks later...