Gt Zaskar or Merida Tfs 800?

Dean111

Good day

I cannot make up my mind what is the best bike the 2011

merida tfs 800 or 2010 gt zaskar expert, the gt is around 3k more, however which is the best?

GT is awesome.

So rigid, no flex.

Worth the extra $$$$

AND- Omnico gave me extra special service when my frame failed 2 days before Sabie

Thanks Daniel, any other opinions, i see the merida

is also a 6061 frame same as gt, is the merida frame

just not as good as the gt ?, i went to have a look at the merida and liked the looks of the bike as a whole and the components, however i've been a gt driver all my life :), considering to maybe switch ?

You say your frame failed, doesn't sound good for gt then, however i never had issues with my 1994 avalanche. put 15k km on it with NO component failing except for the beautiful shiney alloy stem, which i don't see these days, but only after many years of use.

I suppose much of it comes down to how you use your bike, still merida or gt ? any other opinions, i don't want to be sorry afterwards.

Is the merida flexi ? and isn't it actually a good thing to have some flex so the bike absorbs some of the "hammering" hence why your gt frame perhaps failed because of the rigidity ?

Edited by Dean111

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i personally would go for the merdia and blow a bit extra on nice other things like a good computer and really nice shoes if you don't have already

I would say it depends on what you are paying for the bikes...

Right now merida has brought out pricing that is better than what you can get a similar specced silverback for... I love my merida.

You could pick up the 1000D lite for R9k and it weighs 11.7kg standard!!!

Amazing race bike and good review in the latest tread magazine