180mm MTB front disc

Sawdust

Never knew or heard of anybody that had a skewer snap because of a 180 rotor. If a skewer can support a fat ass MTB rider on a drop off then I'm sure it will support a bit more brake force associated with a larger rotor. BTW stopping a rotor is stopping a rotor whether you do it with a 160 or a 180. The different is that you need less effort to do it with a 180 but if your brake function the way they should then you will be able to lockup the wheel with a 160 and once it is locked, it's locked. A 180 does not lock it better, just easier. I've been riding 180 up front for year and I have all my teeth.

Never knew or heard of anybody that had a skewer snap because of a 180 rotor. If a skewer can support a fat ass MTB rider on a drop off then I'm sure it will support a bit more brake force associated with a larger rotor. BTW stopping a rotor is stopping a rotor whether you do it with a 160 or a 180. The different is that you need less effort to do it with a 180 but if your brake function the way they should then you will be able to lockup the wheel with a 160 and once it is locked, it's locked. A 180 does not lock it better, just easier. I've been riding 180 up front for year and I have all my teeth.

Lucky you..... The skewer does not support the rotor..... Rush out and look again

Ever had a skewer snap while cycling...... very scary and the will not be able to clean you with a high pressure hose...... and that aluminium taste takes three days to get out of your mouth!!!!!!!

Not yet Big H. I have had a lot of other things snap though. :)

'Very scary' is why we do it; isn't it?? :thumbup:

You must have had one of the Shimano recalls. Unlucky for you! They snapped like toothpicks.

Jokes aside; don't take your SKEWERS lightly fellas.

Not yet Big H. I have had a lot of other things snap though. :)

'Very scary' is why we do it; isn't it?? :thumbup:

You must have had one of the Shimano recalls. Unlucky for you! They snapped like toothpicks.

Jokes aside; don't take your SKEWERS lightly fellas.

Not on the fork but on the rear when bearings in a brand new XT Tandem hub seized. Luckily on a climb. We were doing 80km/h plus on a downhill seconds before that. The lever and the rest of the skewer went off flying through the grass like a scythe, all I could find was the nut end cleanly snapped.

I have read reports of road Tandems and Mtb Tandems who had skewers snap on front forks. They have C/F forks with disks on in the States on some Tandems. I think commondale had such a Tandem.

Lucky you..... The skewer does not support the rotor..... Rush out and look again

Correct you are. No need to rush out and look since a) my bikes sleep inside and B) I build them all myself. I was just using the information quoted by you "hence causing a failure in some quick releases" since the quick release is part of the skewer it is failure of the skewer like the failure of a link is the failure of a chain and so forth.

Seems from the reaction to this question you are the only unlucky one here so it is actually 'lucky world, unlucky ass'. Must just be happening in the armpit of Africa I guess.

Why not go all the way to 203mm?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/150/16364.jpg

Hope Disc V2 Vented Rotor - need special calipers though!