What to do when a dodgy character cycles past you on a 50K bike

Bike Lore

43 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do?

• You adopt the attitude of N.M.P(Not My Problem) and ignore it
    • You follow him from a distance and attempt to call the cops while you tail him
    • Chase him down and tell him to stop and then you grab his front brake HARD at 40km/h.... and return the bike to the race....

Guest agteros

Yeah, yeah - You can continue to live in your perfect little world, looking through rose coloured glasses, where no crime exists.

I'll do that. thumbup1.gif

As I tell my son, "Do not look for trouble, it will find you on its own!"

The same with this scenario... Just because your preconceived ideas of what is right/wrong/possible do not allow for a scrappy character on an expensive bike, it does not make it wrong / impossible to happen.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

C'mon guys...you KNOW what the bike is worth...and you KNOW what guy is capable of riding....and I AM BEING racist here! A farm worker / gardener CANNOT afford such an expensive machine!! finish en klaar!

Question is - what do you do about it??

Just leave it be by the sounds of most here.....let the streets be ruled by the criminals? while we cover behind our 8ft walls and burglar alarms....thinking of when we are going to flee to Australia??

I'll do that. thumbup1.gif

As I tell my son, "Do not look for trouble, it will find you on its own!"

The same with this scenario... Just because your preconceived ideas of what is right/wrong/possible do not allow for a scrappy character on an expensive bike, it does not make it wrong / impossible to happen.

What is your actual argument? Ive not once said it doesnt/ or its impossible to happen.

You seem to be getting your knickers in a knot here, not sure why though.

God I ride my R25k bike to the shops in shorts, no helmet & no shirt with grease etc etc( looking dodgy i guess). Im not going to be oiffended if a person asks me about my bike, come on mate get your head out the sand for a minute.

Its about how you approach the situation that will determine the outcome. This is not about going looking for trouble either. Do you suspect he will come out shooting and stabbing cause youve asked him a question? I doubt it.

What is your actual argument? Ive not once said it doesnt/ or its impossible to happen.

God I ride my R25k bike to the shops in shorts, no helmet & no shirt with grease etc etc( looking dodgy i guess). Im not going to be oiffended if a person asks me about my bike, come on mate get your head out the sand for a minute.

Its about how you approach the situation that will determine the outcome. This is not about going looking for trouble either. Do you suspect he will come out shooting and stabbing cause youve asked him a question? I doubt it.

Only if he is guilty, otherwise you don't need to worry :unsure:

Even if he doesn't shoot or stab you and calmly replies "yes, I stole the bike". What are you going to do about it? Are you going to shoot/stab him? I doubt it

Guest agteros

He rides the bike, so he owns the bike. Irrespective of what you think.

Proof the opposite and Robert is your mothers brother. Walking up to strangers and annoying them purely because you think they are not the legitimate owners/custodians of property in their possession will cause somebody to unstraigthen your nose at some point.

Why not take a photo as suggested, and report your suspicion to the police, as well as submit your evidence supporting your suspicion to them?

There is not really much you can do, other than land yourself in trouble; physical/legal/what ever!

this is a tough one:

most times, when u see a dodgy thing, it's always marginal, a 'feeling' of something just dont look quite right. but u more than likely on your way somewhere, so that feeling comes and goes in a flash.

The cops also work on this gut instinct, but it's honed by years of experience dealing with sketchy types, and it's their job to stop and go investigate.

In any society, everyone has a right, if not duty to check out something sketchy, if they have the means: means meaning time, inclination and capability.

Take a good look, make sure u can remember what u saw. Write it down, use your mobile to make a voice recording (one of my fav apps when trying to recall a new and nice song i just heard over the radio), or better still, take a snap shot. Failing any of those, let someone else knows that can do something about it. But their efforts toward success will be contingent upon the information provided them.

My 2c.

Its like when I was in the UK and they do the stop and search. Its based on a hunch.

Even if he doesn't shoot or stab you and calmly replies "yes, I stole the bike". What are you going to do about it? Are you going to shoot/stab him? I doubt it

God, Ive not once said I was going to go all Rambo over to somone accusing them of stealing a bike. No harm in asking a question is there.

He rides the bike, so he owns the bike. Irrespective of what you think.

Proof the opposite and Robert is your mothers brother. Walking up to strangers and annoying them purely because you think they are not the legitimate owners/custodians of property in their possession will cause somebody to unstraigthen your nose at some point.

Why not take a photo as suggested, and report your suspicion to the police, as well as submit your evidence supporting your suspicion to them?

There is not really much you can do, other than land yourself in trouble; physical/legal/what ever!

Have you been smoking something? Ive not once said Im gonna beat the person up or do anything else besides ask a question if the situation allows for it. Access what going on.

Guest agteros

Its like when I was in the UK and they do the stop and search. Its based on a hunch.

The police may, normal citizens not. Irrespective of whatever vigilante powers we want to bestow on ourselves!

A few years ago I was in this position... except it was my 95 Diamond Back Apex MTB... which had been stolen from my house 6 months before...

7 am, Beyers Naude drive in JHB....I didnt realise it was my bike at first, but the rider caught my eye as the bike looked 'wrong'. spd pedals on the bike and the rider wearing 'going to church shoes'

As i was going in the opposite direction, I had to decide what to do.. or going about my business and being on time for work..

I was bothered about the situation enough to turn around and catch up.. Stopped him and offered R500 for the bike... He started negotiating and then I realised it was MY bike... 2 hours later, he was in jail and I had my bike back... just needed new tyres and seat and we were in business! And no it wasnt insured... I was poor at the time..

I still have the bike today....

I have stopped and politely asked a few chaps, white and black, if they would like to sell... Hasnt worked yet, but Im prepared to buy the bike as Im convinced that the chap you see commuting.... more than likely bought the bike in the local township, etc, so he can commute..... and has no idea what it is worth... would rather give him enough money to buy a sturdy bike to commute on... and not penalise the bugger who bought the bike from the thief at the time because thats all he could afford..

Edited by KDEE

Guest agteros

Have you been smoking something? Ive not once said Im gonna beat the person up or do anything else besides ask a question if the situation allows for it. Access what going on.

You not following me? stop trying to get personal please.

Where did I say you are going to beat up anybody? What I did say is that you might get your nose unstraightened!

What do you want to access? The person's bicycle? You might be be slapped with a theft charge ;)

My whole angle with everything I've posted is that you cannot go by your gut feel and start harassing somebody purely because you have a hunch as to whether he is the legitimate owner of property in his possession. I'm going after the flawed assumption behind the whole 'he cannot afford it'.

Sure he might not have been able to afford it when it was new, but it still does not make his possession of the item illegal... I know some will struggle with this, so think carefully before shooting from the hip! ;)

Have fun asking every 'dodgy' person/possession combination questions! You might just expand your horizons of what is possible or not!

Enough of this now, I need to finish up at work, pick up my kid, go home, prepare food, check home work, do an IDT session, catch some shut eye, and go for a training run at 04:30 tomorrow morning!

Apologies if I do not have the time, nor energy to be paranoid and ask random strangers weird personal questions!

SIGNING OUT OF THIS THREAD

KDEE..... same thing happened here..... we were at a race at SAMCOR in Pretoria and at the prizegiving somebody recognized his yellow Trek 1200 as his old bike that was stolen. It was then owned by a development rider who claimed he bought it form somebody in the twonship. The whole situation was extremely embarressing.

For the rest of you who have now resorted to bickering and bitching...... stop now children..... do not be like me..... take an example from the old man ..... try to behave!!!!!!!!

To all the Chuck Norisses out there

.... Or those who think they can confront the scally guy?

Do you know how it feel to duck and dive some flying lead?

So, go out and confront him on his stolen bike.

You will be dead before blink a eye.

To answer that other guy Its not my business if he rides your bike.

Spend more money and secure your R50K bike to the gerage wall