What to do when a dodgy character cycles past you on a 50K bike

Bike Lore

43 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do?

• You adopt the attitude of N.M.P(Not My Problem) and ignore it
    • You follow him from a distance and attempt to call the cops while you tail him
    • Chase him down and tell him to stop and then you grab his front brake HARD at 40km/h.... and return the bike to the race....

A few years ago I was in this position... except it was my 95 Diamond Back Apex MTB... which had been stolen from my house 6 months before...

7 am, Beyers Naude drive in JHB....I didnt realise it was my bike at first, but the rider caught my eye as the bike looked 'wrong'. spd pedals on the bike and the rider wearing 'going to church shoes'

As i was going in the opposite direction, I had to decide what to do.. or going about my business and being on time for work..

I was bothered about the situation enough to turn around and catch up.. Stopped him and offered R500 for the bike... He started negotiating and then I realised it was MY bike... 2 hours later, he was in jail and I had my bike back... just needed new tyres and seat and we were in business! And no it wasnt insured... I was poor at the time..

I still have the bike today....

I have stopped and politely asked a few chaps, white and black, if they would like to sell... Hasnt worked yet, but Im prepared to buy the bike as Im convinced that the chap you see commuting.... more than likely bought the bike in the local township, etc, so he can commute..... and has no idea what it is worth... would rather give him enough money to buy a sturdy bike to commute on... and not penalise the bugger who bought the bike from the thief at the time because thats all he could afford..

Good on you, according to Agteros it was his bike, so you had no right to have done anything, rather just waved him on his merry way.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its like when I was in the UK and they do the stop and search. Its based on a hunch.

But that's professionally trained police, who have got to answer to more than "a hunch"; and it's still helluva controversial, mostly on race grounds but wider civil liberties too.

Guest Frail4Life

A lot of Bikes have been Nicked at Races, whilst going to the Loo.

Yes sometimes you do Not take too much note of the Riders. As stated we also ride around in Tatty gear.

My 50K bike was also Stolen, from my place of Work, no Insurance.

Nobody approuched the Guy, but did make Enquiries. Which helped me Trace him and Track him down.