rebuilding a factory wheelset

wapad

I have been doing a fair amount of research on wheelbuilding as I want a 29er set

what I want to know given what I have been told if I rebuild the anthem 29er wheelset using the same parts ( so assuming it is tensioned to my weight and possibly stressed and retensioned)

do I have a wheel that is as good as say a ZTR crest rim with hope pro 2 hubs and say dt swiss spokes, probably a touch heavier

I understand that the ZTR set has superior parts but is the wheel as strong once it has the magic handmade touch put to it

I would like to know more about this as well. I have WTB laserdisks with XT hubs. Complete

it weights 1.8kg I would like to rebuild ie different spokes and rim to bring it

down to about 1.5 or 1.6kg any suggestions

I would like to know more about this as well. I have WTB laserdisks with XT hubs. Complete

it weights 1.8kg I would like to rebuild ie different spokes and rim to bring it

With XT hubs you will not drop that much weight. You will need those Stan's 300gr marshmellow rims to see a big change.

I have been doing a fair amount of research on wheelbuilding as I want a 29er set

what I want to know given what I have been told if I rebuild the anthem 29er wheelset using the same parts ( so assuming it is tensioned to my weight and possibly stressed and retensioned)

do I have a wheel that is as good as say a ZTR crest rim with hope pro 2 hubs and say dt swiss spokes, probably a touch heavier

I understand that the ZTR set has superior parts but is the wheel as strong once it has the magic handmade touch put to it

Your questions is not exactly clear. However, all things being equal, a heavier rim is stronger than a lighter one. You cannot work within the limitations of a rim profile and expect that less material will give you a stronger wheel.

You have to distinguish between durability (longevity) and strength (ability to support a static load)

Wheel strength is determined by:

1) The weight of the rim

2) The quantity of the spokes.

Wheel durability is determined by

1) The elasticity of the spokes (thinner is more durable)

2) The quality of workmanship (spoke tension, stress relieving, spoke line improvement etc.)

All the aluminium alloys suitable to extrusions have more or less the same fatigue strength and therefore only wall thickness plays a role, not composition.

Factory wheels (and mass-produced hand-built wheels such as CRC wheels) often suffer from poor build quality and are therefore not as durable as the same wheel with more attention paid to the build.

In theory your factory wheels can be improved. However, if they've seen fair use already, it may be too late since stress relieving applied after the fact cannot undo damage.

One also has to look at hub quality. Lightweight hubs have lightweight bearings that don't last as long as big beefy bearings as found in Hope hubs.

You can't have your cake and eat it.

Impossible. No matter what spokes you have right now, there's no way of losing 200 or 300 grams just by using different spokes.

Stop phaffing about the weight of your wheels and go ride somewhere with nice scenery. Have a beer afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

i got the wheels today

ztr alpine rims, double butted spokes, alloy nipples, used ex xt hub and rotor

900g exc tyre

crossmarks are 700g

should be 1.6kg right

dropped 200g

nice,it can be done