My Morning Cycle

Roons

Been a while since I was on the Hub since I moved to Canada. Just thought I would share some pics of my ride on the weekend!

I could not stay indoors any longer so finally hit the trails near my house - riding at -10deg was a whole new experience. My water bottle began to freeze at the end of the ride and my booties were solid at the end of the ride too. These were the only 2 images I could get as my phone crashed because of the cold!!! But I had a total blast!!

So anyone who is thinking that Sani mornings may be cold this year...

IMG_20110221_154428.jpg

This was the beginning of the trail near my house

IMG_20110221_154503.jpg

The snowmobiles smoothed things out to a degree.

Cheers

Roons

Is the snow hard by the time you ride on it, or is it like riding on mud? How about grip - I've seen some chaps on tyres with steel studs, maybe for ice?

Nice pics!

Snow has hardend a bit along most of the trails. On the steeper uphills the snowmobiles churn it up a bit so makes difficult and too thick in places. Riding on the hard-packed snow is same as gravel as base is solid - quite weird in places as frozen base creaks - this trail will be SERIOUSLY muddy when the snow melts. I have seen the studded tires - but these are for serious guys who ride on the more icy surfaces where there is no grip - Crazy IMHO.

Saw one of these on the snow slopes once! Big takkies!

http://www.bikerumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/moots-snoots-snow-bike01.jpg

I am about 1 hr north of Toronto. In the rural areas - cannot wait till summer as their are loads of trails and forests in this area.

Got transferred with work - got to be here for at least 2 years. Enjoying the change of scenery though!

Had enough of winter - left ZA at the end of winter and headed straight back into winter here in Canada - I am almost reflective now!!!

...and the spare cassette on the front!

Where in Canada are you?

If you have a problem with the rear wheel you can replace it with the front. WTF? What do you do for a front wheel then?

If you read the sign it says something about a redundant rear wheel, it doesn't look redundant to me :o

:lol:

Having never left the ZAR, I have to ask - what is all that white sh*t and them pointy trees? wink.gif

Awesome pics. Looks mighty cold.

:lol:

Hi Roons,

That must be quite something. Back home winter is slowly creeping up on us. It will not be long before we are forced to at least put a vest under our cycling tops.

Regards and enjoy

Sarge