Adventure and Travel

Pure Savage Race Report: Tour de PPA

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 23 comments

While in Flanders the classic season kicked off with Omloop het Nieuwblad, this weekend also saw the last PPA event before the Argus. The Tour de PPA which always serves up some spring classic inspired crosswinds.

ccs-58780-0-36466700-1488302631.pngBreakaway of A group – Photo credit: Double ST

The Savages lining up in the A group were limited to Calvin and Brendon due to the SA XCO event at Rheeboksloof the day before and it apparently being wedding season at the moment. For some reason instead of the bunch all starting on the tar road, half the bunch was forced to perform a cyclo cross start across the sandpit before the tar. The cyclo cross inspired start did not stop the front of the bunch from hammering off up Tiekkidraai like a scalded cat! Down Tikkiedraai the group was strung out with those at the back spinning it up like Chris Froome to get back on!

ccs-58780-0-78702000-1488302801.jpg

It was onto the major climb of the day, Vissershoek which saw the group string out once again. With shouts from those on the sidelines Brendon managed to get over just behind the break with Calvin seeing his day become a whole lot harder as the gap started to grow. The gap at the top of the climb between the chasers and the breakaway was less than 50 meters, but with all the shattered legs from Vissershoek it took till Fisantekraal to close the gap.

After Fisantekraal the antagonists in the group along with the help of the cross winds decided to open the taps. At one point there were 5 groups of riders all over the road. The problem was that we were able to see all 5 groups ahead of us! Luckily a well organised chase group that had been distanced on Vissershoek came past and a shout of “Savage come hammer” injected some life into the legs and the race was on again.

ccs-58780-0-94610800-1488302606.jpgOnly photo we got during the race due to the pace!

Over the next 30km the group worked really well rotating the pace and picking up all the smaller groups on the road. As we caught the Masters racing group the CSA commissaire in his Polo waved the group past and was very adamant we come straight past. Pity he sat his Polo on the white line, forcing the entire group to cross the white line. A few of us alerted him to the fact that he was forcing riders accross the white line, we were met with abuse. Thanks CSA for your efforts towards cyclist safety.

Just before we reached the R302 we managed to close the gap to the second group on the road. Once the groups were together the urgency the group had dwindled as people started thinking about the last few rollers. Kudos must be given to the youngster Wynaand Dippenaar, the amount of attacks off the front were great to watch and reminded us of Cannonball Klyde from Savage!

ccs-58780-0-82996100-1488302601.jpg

The group negotiated the final rollers in a rather subdued pace compared to the savagery of earlier in the race. The highlight of the sprint to the line was again young gun Wynaand, seeing himself boxed in and drawing inspiration from the cobbled classics, took to the dirt to find space around the peloton and open up his sprint! Although he was just pipped to the line by Riaan from the surging peloton!

A big thanks to the PPA for organising such a great race again with good marshalling, very cheap entry fees when we entered in January, a massive tent at the end and great medical services on call at the end for the crash in the elite sprint. Heal up quickly Craig Boyes!

Link to the strava file for the race here: STRAVA

Comments

LeoKnight

Feb 28, 2017, 7:48 PM

2hours since the post and still no comments?

Pure Savage

Feb 28, 2017, 7:56 PM

2hours since the post and still no comments?

Busy Tuesday night, must be all the last minute SARS submissions! 

Patchelicious

Feb 28, 2017, 8:13 PM

Nice one guys! Another entertaining report.

Pure Savage

Feb 28, 2017, 8:17 PM

Nice one guys! Another entertaining report.

We are expecting a similar report about your ordeal today!

LeoKnight

Feb 28, 2017, 8:23 PM

Always enjoy reading the racereports, for someone riding more to the back it does give some insight of what happens in front

Ferro

Feb 28, 2017, 9:37 PM

Enjoyed the report once again. Shared a few kms with the more...erm...seasoned savages who started in L. Had a lekker chat with the okes. Was hoping i might witness some of the famous hammer but the guys said they were conserving themselves for the end.

De Vlaamse Leeuw

Mar 1, 2017, 5:10 AM

Nice report.  It was probably me in the chasing group shouting at you to "hak hak hak!"  :clap:

I remember having a good laugh at the guy using the dirt shoulder to get to the front  A shame the pace dropped after we caught that group, were definitely working well together for the most part

Pure Savage

Mar 1, 2017, 6:09 AM

Nice report. It was probably me in the chasing group shouting at you to "hak hak hak!" :clap:

I remember having a good laugh at the guy using the dirt shoulder to get to the front A shame the pace dropped after we caught that group, were definitely working well together for the most part

What it is to be young!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patchelicious

Mar 1, 2017, 6:46 AM

Hahaha when I get out of hospital I will type one up for you :)
andydude

Mar 1, 2017, 7:04 AM

Hahaha when I get out of hospital I will type one up for you :)

Hope you're ok patches! Bad friend taking you out [emoji33]
milky4130

Mar 1, 2017, 7:13 AM

what?! What happened?
'Dale

Mar 1, 2017, 7:13 AM

what?! What happened?

Yeah, the man had a fall ????

Pure Savage

Mar 1, 2017, 7:15 AM

what?! What happened?

Lets just say we are all glad he was wearing a helmet  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

milky4130

Mar 1, 2017, 7:15 AM

Yeah, the man had a fall ????

shame man, Speedy Recovery Patches.

Is there a thread?

'Dale

Mar 1, 2017, 7:16 AM

Crash report

Please Patch' ????????

Never lekka ????

Pure Savage

Mar 1, 2017, 7:22 AM

Crash report

Please Patch'

Never lekka

We could write a crash report, it will be about as factual as our race reports  :w00t:  :clap:  :clap:

'Dale

Mar 1, 2017, 7:29 AM

Yeah, was in touch with Craig in the Elites finalè

He's very eina after his high speed fight with that grippy rough tarmac of Adderley Str ????

Pure Savage

Mar 1, 2017, 7:41 AM

Yeah, was in touch with Craig in the Elites finalè

He's very eina after his high speed fight with that grippy rough tarmac of Adderley Str

Kris and I also chatted to him while he was waiting for the ambulance. For someone that had just eaten the road he was in great spirits! I would have been putting on a full on Oscar performance! 

'Dale

Mar 1, 2017, 7:43 AM

Kris and I also chatted to him SNIPI would have been putting on a full on Oscar performance!

Me too

He's tough ????????

Patchelicious

Mar 1, 2017, 10:03 AM

Crash report

Please Patch' ????????

Never lekka ????

Ag it was a silly crash.

A friend was taking his new Sworks Tarmac out for the first time (yes it has disks) and he was riding next to me to allow me to admire it.

We were doing about 40kph was still dark. He hit a pothole and and went down. Took me down with him.

Seems like I broke his fall as he is mostly ok.

I broke my clavicle, the one that I broke 2 years back. Bent the plate pretty badly. Witnesses say his disk hit my shoulder and that's what caused it to bend ????

So I got a shiny new one put in last night.

Luckily Complete Cyclist is right next to Sandton mediclinic, so bike has been checked in already too. Bike seems to have been damaged a bit, with the frame taking some carbon damage. Hopefully my preaching of using a broker pays off now.

https://instagram.com/p/BRDK0jth2qK/

'Dale

Mar 1, 2017, 10:22 AM

Ag it was a silly crash.

A friend was taking his new Sworks Tarmac out for the first time (yes it has disks) and he was riding next to me to allow me to admire it.

We were doing about 40kph was still dark. He hit a pothole and and went down. Took me down with him.

I broke my clavicle, the one that I broke 2 years back. Bent the plate pretty badly. Witnesses say his disk hit my shoulder and that's what caused it to bend

Luckily Complete Cyclist is right next to Sandton mediclinic, so bike has been checked in already too. Bike seems to have been damaged a bit, with the frame taking some carbon damage. Hopefully my preaching of using a broker pays off now.

Ow!

So the disc brake created a pothole which ended up in this crash to happen. :huh:

Causality = clear as crystal

Recover swiftly, Patch'. :thumbup:

Stricker

Mar 1, 2017, 10:33 AM

Ag it was a silly crash.

I broke my clavicle, the one that I broke 2 years back. Bent the plate pretty badly. Witnesses say his disk hit my shoulder and that's what caused it to bend

Eina,

All the best to you.. hopefully you will be back on bike soon soon  :thumbup:

Pure Savage

Mar 1, 2017, 10:45 AM

Ag it was a silly crash.

Are you sure you did not go down due to chain suck? :P

Add a comment

You must log in to comment