Events

Matthew Goss Joins Team MTN-Qhubeka

· By Press Office · 13 comments

Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung are delighted to announce that Australian, Matthew Goss will join Team MTN-Qhubeka for the 2015 cycling season. Goss is an exceptional bike rider who has won races in multiple World Tour events, including stages of the Giro d’ Italia, Tirreno-Adriatico and Paris-Nice. The victory that really stands out on Goss’ palmares though, is his 2011 Milano-Sanremo triumph.

ccs-62657-0-65571600-1411025879.jpg

While Goss is a seasoned professional having spent his last 8 years racing on World Tour teams, the Aussie star at only 27 years of age, has his best racing years ahead of him. The experience and fire power that Goss brings to MTN-Qhubeka compliments our team goals for 2015 as we target the Spring Classics and Grand Tours. The following Goss has around the world will also help us to further globalise our team in support of the Qhubeka foundation.

Rider – Matt Goss

I am very excited to be joining Africa’s Pro-Continental outfit, Team MTN-Qhubeka. I think that the foundations and ideas that the team is built on are really inspiring and motivating. Racing and winning as a team, for the sponsors and myself while helping to raise awareness for a great foundation like Qhubeka. I can’t wait to make the most of this opportunity, to win at the highest level throughout the Spring Classics and grand tours.

The team being built for 2015 is going to be a fantastic team with great depth, strength and motivation. I come with a lot of experience racing at highest level over the past 8 years and i’m excited to share my knowledge with the new generation of up and coming African riders. I look forward to working with the many other strong riders already part of Team MTN-Qhubeka and the riders joining for 2015.

Team Principal – Douglas Ryder

Matthew Goss is a great addition to our strong focus on the Spring Classics and grand tours next year, he has worked for some of the best sprinters in the world and has won many significant races too. This commitment to team work and team success is what will help Team MTN-Qhubeka become more successful and bring our more than 50% African rider group to a higher lever as we continue to race for the #BicyclesChangeLives campaign.

About MTN-Qhubeka

Team MTN-Qhubeka was founded in 2007, steadily working its way up from a regional team to now being a Continental Pro team with bases in South Africa and Italy. It is participating in its first Grand Tour the Vuelta a España at the moment. MTN-Qhubeka’s goal is to give talented African riders a path into the pro peloton while raising funds for the Qhubeka charity.

Qhubeka is an Nguni (Zulu, Xhosa) word that means “to carry on”, “to progress”, “to move forward”. Qhubeka (qhubeka.org) helps people move forward and progress by giving bicycles in return for work done to improve communities, the environment or academic results. Having a bicycle changes people’s lives by increasing the distance they can travel, what they can carry, where they can go and how fast they can get there. To contribute to the #BicyclesChangeLives Campaign, click here.

MTN (mtn.co.za) is a long-time supporter of Qhubeka and the team. Launched in 1994, the MTN Group is a leading emerging market operator, connecting 210 million subscribers in 22 countries in Africa, Asia and the Middle East.

Learn more about the team at www.teammtnqhubeka.com​.

Comments

Ryan

Sep 18, 2014, 7:40 AM

Amazing!

Jakkals.

Sep 18, 2014, 7:43 AM

I see Pardilla is leaving MTN,

This isnt a bad signing at all. He just need to find his legs.

Stumbles

Sep 18, 2014, 8:39 AM

this is good news..

CAAD4

Sep 18, 2014, 8:55 AM

So it it too early to start the Orica Qhubeka speculation, with MTN rumoured to be exiting? Eksemaarnet... 

sdp

Sep 18, 2014, 9:22 AM

So Pardilla and Gerdeman are leaving. Either a decent GC contender is going to signed (heard rumours of Gessink) or Qhubheka is going to forgo any GC ambitions and go for stages only. Heard that too. They have mentioned they looking for a signing from America and the UK. Apparently Steve Cummings(UK) from BMC but that hasn't been announced yet so speculation reigns

MuddyMike

Sep 18, 2014, 9:29 AM

Surely Impey would be a welcome addition as an "African" rider........

ScottCM

Sep 18, 2014, 9:33 AM

So Pardilla and Gerdeman are leaving. Either a decent GC contender is going to signed (heard rumours of Gessink) or Qhubheka is going to forgo any GC ambitions and go for stages only. Heard that too. They have mentioned they looking for a signing from America and the UK. Apparently Steve Cummings(UK) from BMC but that hasn't been announced yet so speculation reigns

American was Tyler Farrar

raptor

Sep 18, 2014, 9:46 AM

Gessink already resigned with his current team, Mtn seems to be going for guys that will do well in one day races and not gc. Both Goss and Farrar i feel are past their best cant remember when last either did something noticeable.

Pardilla was the best rider on the squad its a shame they did not resign him

Pure Savage

Sep 18, 2014, 9:52 AM

I would not be surprised if the try get one of the Yates brothers for GC

Frosty

Sep 18, 2014, 11:54 AM

If you know how the World Tour changes from 2017 affects teams, then you'll know that it will be easier for the MTN-Qhubeka to score more points in the one-day classics than in the tours, hence the signing of Sprinters rather than GC contenders.

Jakkals.

Sep 18, 2014, 11:58 AM

I would not be surprised if the try get one of the Yates brothers for GC

They have renewed with Orica if Im not mistaken

canfan

Sep 18, 2014, 12:08 PM

Surely Impey would be a welcome addition as an "African" rider........

Think he signed with Orica till end of 2016

rock

Sep 19, 2014, 7:45 AM

Impey and Bos on the same team? - dont quite see that one happening.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment