Tech

Shimano 105 goes 12-speed with Di2 electronic shifting

Supplied by Shimano.

· By Press Office · 43 comments

Celebrating its 40th anniversary since its first introduction in 1982, Shimano 105 receives the ultimate upgrade with a move to Di2 electronic shifting technology. The highly anticipated Shimano 105 R7100 group not only delivers Di2 performance to an entirely new range of riders but also offers Shimano’s flagship 12-speed, wireless shifting with easy operation and increased reliability in a more attainable package.

Shimano 105 R7100 Di2 groupset extended.jpg

Riders who have traditionally used mechanical shifting systems can now experience the function and technology inherited from recent ground-breaking updates to DURA-ACE and ULTEGRA. Shimano 105 Di2 is the culmination of years of research and development, where flawless wireless shifting, tailored gearing, and an exceptional braking system, mark a new era in affordable performance.

• Evolved Di2 platform – A completely redesigned Di2 system delivers fast shifting in a wireless cockpit design.
  • Most advanced drivetrain – Optimized 12-speed gearing for unmatched efficiency and seamless shifting.
  • Refined interface and ergonomics – With the optimal balance of comfort, aerodynamics, and aesthetics, Shimano 105 provides secure and comfortable ergonomics and a cleaner cockpit aesthetic.
  • Enhanced brake system – Improving braking control, the new Shimano 105 brake system offers a quieter, maintenance-friendly system.
  • New carbon wheels – Blending aerodynamics, rigidity, weight and cost in a competitive full-carbon, tubeless wheel option.

SHIMANO 105 Di2: Wireless where it matters

Shimano 105 Di2 utilizes a hybrid system, featuring a wireless cockpit paired with a wired connection between a single, seat-tube-stored battery and the front and rear derailleurs, ensuring absolute reliability in all conditions. And just like DURA-ACE and ULTEGRA, the Shimano 105 Di2 system is highly customizable using Shimano’s user-friendly E-TUBE PROJECT App on your smartphone.

Shimano 105 R7100 Di2 shifters.jpg

With E-TUBE PROJECT you can set-up your drivetrain just the way you like it, adjusting shift speed, altering the number of shifts per button actuation, and utilizing the Synchronized and Semi-Synchro shifting functionality.

You can also pair the system with most third-party cycling computers, including Garmin and Wahoo, which allow you to monitor gear selection or battery status.
SHIMANO 105 Di2: Refined interface and ergonomics

The new Shimano 105 dual control levers feature unparalleled ergonomics and refinements following pro rider feedback, where a raised hood peak and new lever shape enhance comfort and control in every riding position. Braking is also optimized thanks to a lighter, smoother lever action and expanded braking control area.

The levers utilize Shimano’s proprietary wireless integrated circuit that features high–security, fast processing speed and low power consumption. Contrast that with other wireless platforms and you get a significant decrease in interference probability, faster shift speeds and longer battery life. By using a single, internally housed rechargeable battery, charging is straightforward, and the battery is protected — ensuring stable and reliable shifting at all times.

ST-R7170 Shifter

• Wireless Di2 connectivity
  • 2×12-speed Dual-Control lever
  • Refined hood for improved ergonomics and aerodynamics
  • Improved button access

SHIMANO 105 Di2: Advanced drivetrain technology

By moving to a 12-speed cassette, Shimano 105 R7100 Series now has the high and low gearing that riders want, along with an intelligent progression of gear steps in between. This is the result of optimized drivetrain components, which include 11-34 and 11-36 cassette options and 50-34 and 52-36 cranksets. Together they deliver low, even sub 1:1, gear combinations that let riders take on steeper slopes and better control their efforts because gear steps are more closely spaced allowing you to always find a comfortable cadence.

The new system is also backwards compatible, meaning you can use your existing 11-speed freehub-equipped wheels with the new Shimano 105 Di2 drivetrain.

FC-R7100 Crank

• HOLLOWTECH II Crank Set
  • 2×12-speed
  • Chainring combinations:
    • 50-34T
    • 52-36T, available at later date

CS-R7100 Cassette

• 12-speed
  • 11-tooth small cog for optimal efficiency
  • Optimized “Sweet Spot” Gears for pedaling efficiency
  • Compatible with 11-speed freehub bodies
  • 11-34T

CS-HG710-12 Cassette

• 12-speed
  • 11-tooth small cog for optimal efficiency
  • Compatible with 11-speed freehub bodies
  • 11-36T, available at later date

RD-R7150 Rear Derailleur

• SHIMANO SHADOW Rear Derailleur
  • Integrated D-FLY connectivity
  • 12-speed Di2 technology
  • Compatible with 11-34 and 11-36T cassettes

FD-R7150 Front Derailleur

• 12-speed Di2 technology
  • Fast, precise front shifting

SHIMANO 105 Di2: Better braking

image.jpeg

Just as with the latest DURA-ACE and ULTEGRA groupsets, the new Shimano 105 features a revamped braking system that’s quieter, easier to maintain, and feels more controlled and powerful. Top line features include a fast initial contact point with a wider control zone and 10% wider pad-to-rotor clearance assuring noiseless operation. Home mechanics will also appreciate an improved and user-friendly bleed process that can be performed without removing the caliper from the frame.

BR-R7170 Brakes

• More fine-tuned control and heightened braking performance
  • 10% wider pad clearance
  • Easier bleeding process
Tags:

Related posts

Comments

Martin Olckers

Jun 29, 2022, 4:24 PM

Would you buy the new Shimano 105 Di2 12spd? 

Or just stick to 105 11spd mechanical?

Kalahari Vegmot

Jun 29, 2022, 4:33 PM

Well I think that if I was at all considering Di2, 105 would be the way to go for sure!

shaper

Jun 29, 2022, 4:40 PM

Already complaints on social media about the price for 105 Di2 which is meant to be the people/workhorse groupset. Also no rim brake version

Mongoose!

Jun 29, 2022, 4:47 PM

18 minutes ago, ScottFoil said:

Or just stick to 105  Ultegra 11spd mechanical?

🙃

BikeisLife

Jun 29, 2022, 5:11 PM

30 minutes ago, shaper said:

Already complaints on social media about the price for 105 Di2 which is meant to be the people/workhorse groupset. Also no rim brake version

Rim brake is dying… 

sirmoun10goat

Jun 29, 2022, 5:38 PM

51 minutes ago, shaper said:

I know Magura, and I think SRAM both have hydraulic rim brakes. Surely it would not be difficult for Shimano to use the same hydraulic shifters, and equip the system with rim brakes?

I feel they are missing a part of the market. It is getting harder/more expensive to find compatible shifters (in the event of them breaking or accident damage) for mechanical gears (without changing derailleurs as the pull ratios change) , so personally I would consider going electronic shifting should I need to replace something, but I can't as my bike is rim brake. 

DieselnDust

Jun 29, 2022, 5:42 PM

4 minutes ago, sirmoun10goat said:

I know Magura, and I think SRAM both have hydraulic rim brakes. Surely it would not be difficult for Shimano to use the same hydraulic shifters, and equip the system with rim brakes?

I feel they are missing a part of the market. It is getting harder/more expensive to find compatible shifters (in the event of them breaking or accident damage) for mechanical gears (without changing derailleurs as the pull ratios change) , so personally I would consider going electronic shifting should I need to replace something, but I can't as my bike is rim brake. 

the answer is Campagnolo

DieselnDust

Jun 29, 2022, 5:55 PM

1 hour ago, ScottFoil said:

tricky question since it liely won't be in stock till 2024 if current supply is anything to go by

sirmoun10goat

Jun 29, 2022, 6:01 PM

4 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

tricky question since it liely won't be in stock till 2024 if current supply is anything to go by

So by then SRAM will solar powered, 13sp wireless shifting

DieselnDust

Jun 29, 2022, 6:18 PM

37 minutes ago, sirmoun10goat said:

SRAm Hydro+ R brakes here available with the SRAm Red 11s group. They were never brought into SA as far as I know.  I enquired about these two years ago. They're weren't very popular but maybe that will change as people hang onto bikes longer. SRAM already made the 12speed AXS shifters and derailleur (?) compatible with the 11s group since the 11speed shifters were discontinued.

sirmoun10goat

Jun 29, 2022, 6:51 PM

27 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

SRAm Hydro+ R brakes here available with the SRAm Red 11s group. They were never brought into SA as far as I know.  I enquired about these two years ago. They're weren't very popular but maybe that will change as people hang onto bikes longer. SRAM already made the 12speed AXS shifters and derailleur (?) compatible with the 11s group since the 11speed shifters were discontinued.

Which is what I expect - technically electronic shifting should be compatible over multiple speeds as you aren't restricted by pull ratios of the shifter and derailleur needing to correspond. So that improves overall compatibility. SRAM does also have rim brakes in their AXS range (although the shifters are different to the hydo brakes). I feel Shimano could/should have done more here, and as a (relatively straight forward approach) gone with hydro disks 

Mongoose!

Jun 30, 2022, 4:29 AM

My guess is R43999 ? 👀 for the few sets Coolheat will bring us?:ph34r:

3067.7g - maybe weighted with the shortest possible crank / smallest chainrings , smallest cassette , shortest chain and no hydraulic hoses , no battery holder.

I predict the rim brake market will be filled by new players to the groupset market, and Tiagra will go 11 speed soon - (still in rim brake)

at R1800 shipped this 11 speed rim partial groupset even makes more sense now :)

Senah

Dexter-morgan

Jun 30, 2022, 5:02 AM

Lets hope the "old stock" Rim brake Ultegra Di2, goes on sale soon so I can get my hands on a set.

Schnavel

Jun 30, 2022, 6:18 AM

Considering this is meant to be the "workhorse" groupset, the pricing structure is ridiculous and puts it out of the reach of many people. I mean $1400 for a 105 groupset?! 🤢

MudLark

Jun 30, 2022, 6:25 AM

I wouldn't take it if it was free. I'm so fed up with having to charge so many devices and dying batteries as it is anyway. IMHO, if it's analogue and it works well, it's better than anything with a battery that needs charging or replacing. And its more environmentally friendly. But maybe I'm just the grumpus.

bleedToWin

Jun 30, 2022, 6:35 AM

1 hour ago, Dexter-morgan said:

Lets hope the "old stock" Rim brake Ultegra Di2, goes on sale soon so I can get my hands on a set.

Lots of lightly used ones going around at great prices!

bleedToWin

Jun 30, 2022, 6:37 AM

17 minutes ago, Schnavel said:

Considering this is meant to be the "workhorse" groupset, the pricing structure is ridiculous and puts it out of the reach of many people. I mean $1400 for a 105 groupset?! 🤢

105 Di2 is not meant to be the "workhorse" groupset or the "groupset of the people" though. It's only purpose is to offer electronic at a lower price point with some minor penalties.

bleedToWin

Jun 30, 2022, 6:39 AM

14 hours ago, ScottFoil said:

The intention is that you should decide between 105 12spd electronic or Ultegra 11spd mechanical.

The good enough cover all your bases groupset will remain 105 mechanical.

Mongoose!

Jun 30, 2022, 7:45 AM

1 hour ago, bleedToWin said:

Lots of lightly used ones going around at great prices!

where ? not on Bikehub...

bleedToWin

Jun 30, 2022, 7:54 AM

7 minutes ago, Mongoose! said:

where ? not on Bikehub...

They go around, but they don't hang around. 😉

Teammate recently built up a sick Ridley Noah with a hardly used first gen Ultegra Di2 rimbrake groupset. Maybe set an alert?

Mongoose!

Jun 30, 2022, 10:37 AM

2 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

They go around, but they don't hang around. 😉

Teammate recently built up a sick Ridley Noah with a hardly used first gen Ultegra Di2 rimbrake groupset. Maybe set an alert?

jip definitively not "lots";)

Hilton.

Jul 1, 2022, 7:02 AM

I think this is a disappointing development, from a customer range perspective. It further entrenches the argument that cycling is becoming the sport of the wealthy, at the expense of the masses.

Sure, you can argue that they've just "shifted the labels around", to make the new 105 Di2 equivalent to the old Ultegra mechanical, and that us peasants must now be happy to buy Tiagra (going to 12 speed next year?) or 11-speed 105 mechanical.

I love my 105 mechanical disc road bike, but it sucks that when the time comes to get a new bike, 105 may well be out of range. At £1700, it will cost about R35k for the groupset alone, making OEM carbon bikes with 105 cost about R70k minimum? Currently, you can get a carbon 105 road bike from about R45k up, or alu 105 bike for R20k or so.

From road.cc: "if there were any top-down decisions being made by Shimano here it could be that electronic groupsets are actually cheaper to make and easier to work with than mechanical; but that alone wouldn't have been nearly enough to take a massive gamble if the numbers didn't stack up."

and: "Shimano binning mechanical shifting ... To some of you that won't be something to celebrate... but numbers will have been meticulously crunched before this decision was arrived at, and unfortunately you're probably in the far less lucrative minority." Great. 🤕

Mongoose!

Jul 1, 2022, 8:28 AM

1 hour ago, Hilton. said:

At £1700, it will cost about R35k for the groupset alone,

wishful thinking

what about exchange rate / import tax / supply demand shortages  Coolheat?

DieselnDust

Jul 1, 2022, 9:31 AM

1 hour ago, Mongoose! said:

wishful thinking

what about exchange rate / import tax / supply demand shortages  Coolheat?

I worked out about R42k roughly half dura ace

thata rrp

Add a comment

You must log in to comment