Conti Race King Front and back ...

GhostRider2

Race kings front and back, i have this on my bike and Race,train,ride to work on tar ect and they have done 2000km so far and have still got a lot of meat on them.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone got a hold of the 2011 Conti tyres locally yet. I keep hearing different stories, one being world wide shortage, the other being the mould had to be scrapped & redone

Any news/ reports on the black chili compound yet?

Race Kings are great tyres for front and back, but has two disadvantages. They don't last long on tarmac, and they are heavy (700g for UST) if you are weight conscious. Took mine off and replaced them with Specialized Renegade Control (500g). They roll super fast, has plenty gripp for hard pack to intermediate terrain, and are tarmac friendly. Just my opinion!

Race Kings are great tyres for front and back, but has two disadvantages. They don't last long on tarmac, and they are heavy (700g for UST) if you are weight conscious. Took mine off and replaced them with Specialized Renegade Control (500g). They roll super fast, has plenty gripp for hard pack to intermediate terrain, and are tarmac friendly. Just my opinion!

Are these Spez tyres UST? Do you run them front & back? From reviews Ive read the new range with the black chili protection(thicker sidewall) foldable are 510g

Are these Spez tyres UST? Do you run them front & back? From reviews Ive read the new range with the black chili protection(thicker sidewall) foldable are 510g

Yes they are UST, or as Spesh calls them 2Bliss. They are hard to fit on the rim, but once they are on, you can inflate them with a floor pump, no need for bombs or compressors. I've got them on the front and back on my Merida 96 Team, and it makes a huge difference in handling. The 26"x2.1 tyre seems a bit wide, but the bigger volume gives a great ride, and at 500g a piece you save almost a half a kilo on normal UST tyres. The S-Works version, which is not available in SA weighs 460g with a thinner sidewall. The Renegade will be Burry's choice for the Epic this year.

Yes they are UST, or as Spesh calls them 2Bliss. They are hard to fit on the rim, but once they are on, you can inflate them with a floor pump, no need for bombs or compressors. I've got them on the front and back on my Merida 96 Team, and it makes a huge difference in handling. The 26"x2.1 tyre seems a bit wide, but the bigger volume gives a great ride, and at 500g a piece you save almost a half a kilo on normal UST tyres. The S-Works version, which is not available in SA weighs 460g with a thinner sidewall. The Renegade will be Burry's choice for the Epic this year.

What did you pay? If I can be so bold as too ask, I saw them for R550 yesterday

What did you pay? If I can be so bold as too ask, I saw them for R550 yesterday

R460 x 2 - 5% = R874

Race King front and back.

Avoid the Mtn King at all costs - terrible tyre - knobblies too firm - no feedback - sketchy on the road - very little grip off road.

The Race Kings are as good as the Myn Kings are bad.

I love my Race Kings - got them on all my bikes.

Dude - you gotta compare apples with apples - Spesh tyres are not UST - they are Spesh's 2Bliss or "2Bliss ready" if you want to get anal.

Here are the Race King options that equal the Spesh Renegade:

Race King Supersonic 50-559 26 x 2,0 black Skin foldable 430 50 65

55-559 26 x 2,2 black Skin foldable 470 50 65

Race King Racesport 50-559 26 x 2,0 black Skin foldable 450 50 65

55-559 26 x 2,2 black Skin foldable 500 50 65

Race King Protection 55-559 26 x 2,2 black Skin foldable 550 50 65

Most of them well under 500g.

If it don't say UST - it aint UST. Always keep it real :D

Ive now heard from three people that the Conti factory in Germany is having problems with the new range. Stocks may only come into SA by July.

Anyone ran the Conti protections as a tubeless set up?

I was thinking of trying a set on ZTR crests as it would give quite a weight saving over the UST's and hopefully better puncture resistance than standard conti's... any thoughts from the experts on this idea?

Anyone ran the Conti protections as a tubeless set up?

I was thinking of trying a set on ZTR crests as it would give quite a weight saving over the UST's and hopefully better puncture resistance than standard conti's... any thoughts from the experts on this idea?

I run bog standard non UST 29er Race Kings and have had very fews problems to date - that includes Sani2c, SabieX, a full MTN XC series, some 6 hour endurance racing, Nissan Series etc.

Proper UST tyres are overkill in my opinion*

*unless of course you ride like a savage and don't really look where you ride.

Well on the way home I found a set at a bike shop in Rumsig so bought them to try

For interest the 2.2 M/king weighs 640 compared to the 680 of the 2.2 UST so not a huge difference but The 2.2 R/King weighed 585 compared to the 745 of the UST which is quite a diff

so at 1265 for protections a set compared to 1435 for the UST versions it is quite a saving

The hutchinsons I was running were 1320 so will actually end up with an even lighter set up than before certainly worth a try :)

The protections seem to be pretty solid on the sidewall certainly not the same as the UST's but I think they should be fine.

Reason for this is I fitted my XT's back on the bike with Conti UST's overall weight went up almost 600g compared to the ZTR's and Hutchinsons.

I am a very average rider but the diff in my bike with the heavier wheel set is very very noticable it feels like a tank :(

Go with B

if you not riding hectic terrain then go with to race kings...These tyres are the best!!

If you decide to do more races, stick a mountain on the front.