Chain rubbing against front Derailleur

Edwin Watson

Hey all

My chain rubs against my front Derailleur(closest to me) when I am in a high gear set,is this normal and if not how do you fix it?

I documented where the rubbing starts:

Front Derailleur on 1(Biggest cog)

Rubbing starts on the 5th gear,all the way to the smallest cog(9th gear)

This rubbing is not bad in fact very light but noticeable. I don't often ride in the first gear set.

Front Derailleur on 2nd gear(middle cog)

Rubbing starts at 8th gear(second smallest cog) and is quite bad,it gets worse in the 9th gear.

Front Derailleur on the 3rd gear(Smallest cog)

Just like the middle cog,the rubbing starts on the 8th gear(second smallest cog on the back) and is pretty bad,it gets worse on the 9th gear.

I wouldn't of thought much of it except there is NO rubbing on my low gear and in fact there is actually quite a good amount of space between the other side of the Derailleur and the chain. I can understand if it's normall if both sides(gear 1 and gear 9) did it together but since its only the higher gear surly it can be adjusted?

I know that the 2 screws on top of my derailleur adjust the distance,is this where I would "fix" this problem? Or would you just leave it until it goes for its next service? I am wanting to learn to do all these kind of things by myself. I have fiddled with my front derailleur before on my older"cheaper" bike but I am more careful with my newer one.

This is where gripshift makes a huge difference, chain never touches the derailleur. Play with your gears, its easy to adjust it. Its the only way to learn.

Markings on the Frnt Derailer should have a H and a L for obvious reasons. Shift to your highest (in you BIG ring) and slowly turn the H until there is a 1 mm between the chain and derailer. Should fix the problem.

Hey all

My chain rubs against my front Derailleur(closest to me) when I am in a high gear set,is this normal and if not how do you fix it?

I documented where the rubbing starts:

Front Derailleur on 1(Biggest cog)

Rubbing starts on the 5th gear,all the way to the smallest cog(9th gear)

This rubbing is not bad in fact very light but noticeable. I don't often ride in the first gear set.

Front Derailleur on 2nd gear(middle cog)

Rubbing starts at 8th gear(second smallest cog) and is quite bad,it gets worse in the 9th gear.

Front Derailleur on the 3rd gear(Smallest cog)

Just like the middle cog,the rubbing starts on the 8th gear(second smallest cog on the back) and is pretty bad,it gets worse on the 9th gear.

I wouldn't of thought much of it except there is NO rubbing on my low gear and in fact there is actually quite a good amount of space between the other side of the Derailleur and the chain. I can understand if it's normall if both sides(gear 1 and gear 9) did it together but since its only the higher gear surly it can be adjusted?

I know that the 2 screws on top of my derailleur adjust the distance,is this where I would "fix" this problem? Or would you just leave it until it goes for its next service? I am wanting to learn to do all these kind of things by myself. I have fiddled with my front derailleur before on my older"cheaper" bike but I am more careful with my newer one.

Those two screws are what need to be adjusted, your limit screws.

Markings on the Frnt Derailer should have a H and a L for obvious reasons. Shift to your highest (in you BIG ring) and slowly turn the H until there is a 1 mm between the chain and derailer. Should fix the problem.

Must you first loosen your cable tension before doing this or can you just do it with the cable tight?

Must you first loosen your cable tension before doing this or can you just do it with the cable tight?

Absolutely.... Loosen the cable completely from the FD. Then adjust your limit screws, BIG blade first... WITH THE CHAIN ON!! :rolleyes:

Then, manually move your chain to your small blade and adjust the bottom limit of the FD.

When you re-attach the cable, make sure that your lever is in the small blade position and that the FD is also in the small blade postion. THEN attach the cable, DONT stretch it to get into on to the FD too tight. TEST then, and make adjustments to the tension as necessary, the cable might just need to re-sit itself on the FD again, so do some upwards and downwards changes with the FD.

Hope that this helps

Guest coenie

Edwin

Because you say the rub is also there when you are in the small or middle ring it sounds more like cable tention.

The limit skrew are on there to stop the FD from "throwing" the chain over the big or off the small, the rest is cable tention

Leave the tention on and skrew the adjuster at your shiffters out a bit (lefty loosy) this will take up the cable slack cause the FD to move further out.

If you want to check it first, do this....when the bike is in the gear where is rubs pull the fd cable with your finger a TINY bit if it takes the rub away then adjust the barrel adjuster...

It sounds like you have a bit of cable stretch....

Hope it helps

No you don't. Just relax the cable with the barrel adjuster on the shifter.

the way i see it is the gear ratios you experience rubbing in are ratios you shouldnt necessarily be in at any time at once :) key to remember is to always try your hardest and shift to keep your chain running as straight in a line as possible - that way your chain, and cassette is being worn the least aswell :thumbup:

agg I loosend the cable to much and the derailleur popped back,now I cant seem to get the derailleur or the cable back right...agg I am in flipping IT networking,What the hell am I doing!?!?

What have I done wrong now? I now feel like I should of just left it :P

agg I loosend the cable to much and the derailleur popped back,now I cant seem to get the derailleur or the cable back right...agg I am in flipping IT networking,What the hell am I doing!?!?

PM me your number I will gve you a call quick

You should never have loosened the cable at the derailleur.