Chain rubbing against front Derailleur

Edwin Watson

agg I loosend the cable to much and the derailleur popped back,now I cant seem to get the derailleur or the cable back right...agg I am in flipping IT networking,What the hell am I doing!?!?

What have I done wrong now? I now feel like I should of just left it :P

All you do is pull it with your hand (a little up and out) and then the screw will screw in easier.

You should never have loosened the cable at the derailleur.

If you dont loosen the cable at the derailer, you are putting added pressure on the thread whilst it is still under load from the cable, the more that this is done, the faster the thread on the screw (or derailer itself) is going to strip.

If you dont loosen the cable at the derailer, you are putting added pressure on the thread whilst it is still under load from the cable, the more that this is done, the faster the thread on the screw (or derailer itself) is going to strip.

Ok.

Edited by TNT1

Another possibility is that your front derailleur has been bumped out of alignment. Check that it's running parallel with the chain front to rear; if it's skew, it'll scrape against the chain either in high or low, depending on which way it's gone

Another possibility is that your front derailleur has been bumped out of alignment. Check that it's running parallel with the chain front to rear; if it's skew, it'll scrape against the chain either in high or low, depending on which way it's gone

How hard do you have to bump it for that to happen?

Guys chill,I fixed it.I just had to pull the derailleur forward and tighten, but now it wont shift into the big cog(because the cable is too lose,which I can fix) If I cant and have problems I will just take it to my LBS and they can LOL and sought it out.

However with all the info in this thread I am sure I will be fine ;) at least I can shift into the first 2 gear's :lol:

Everything is back to normal and better :) thanks for all the tips and comments.

Cheers :)

Lekka, glad you got it sorted out :thumbup: