tubeless conversion on the 29er giant wheels

wapad

Has anyone done a conversion on the giant 29er stock wheels using only tape and a valve,

planning on using spez fastraks or geax saguaro's

Has anyone done a conversion on the giant 29er stock wheels using only tape and a valve,

Yes, works great. I am currently running a Conti race king on the back and a Conti mountain king on the front. Battled to get them to seat with a compressor but a bomb worked fine.

I have done it using WTB Wolverine's front and back with Stans. Had no problems getting them to inflate and hold air. Only needed a footpump to inflate.

I have done it using WTB Wolverine's front and back with Stans. Had no problems getting them to inflate and hold air. Only needed a footpump to inflate.

So Just to confirm only rim tape and a valve with stans

no rubber rim strips?

that can save a few hundred bucks...

So Just to confirm only rim tape and a valve with stans

no rubber rim strips?

that can save a few hundred bucks...

No sorry, I used the Stans Rubber strips with the built in valve. But I kept the stock green rim strips.

Good luck. Think CWC have good prices in the 29er Stans rubber strips.

Ran Conti Mountain King and Race King combination with rim tape and Stans . Battled to seat with compressor but a bomb sorted it out no problem. Learnt later that it will seat well with compressor if you remove the valve core then replace after tyre is seated.

Wrote off the race king last week ( running pressure too low and damaged the tyre bead, now running a Hutchinson on front. I have found that I need to keep tyre pressure slightly higher on 29 " than 26" wheels . Running 2.1 bar.

Hope this helps

I used the Bontrager (?) yellow rip tape and a tubeless valve. No sweat. Obviously UST tyres will work easier than say the Fast Track or Bontrager tubeless ready tyres.

I've done the conversion on my Giant Anthem 29er - used the Joe's kit, including the rubber rim strips (over the original green one) with the built in valve.

I've got Crossmarks and had to use a bomb to seat the tyre the first time (with the valve core removed and LOTS of soapy water).