Noisy bike

cwfourie

I bought myself a new bike, and when i paddle hard it makes a klapping noise (sounds like its comming from the rear weel) like when a electric fence makes a short. WHAT IS IT ITS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!!!!!!

Anyone have any tips please? :unsure:

I bought myself a new bike, and when i paddle hard it makes a klapping noise (sounds like its comming from the rear weel) like when a electric fence makes a short. WHAT IS IT ITS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!!!!!!

Also had the same noise for a while when I pedalled which drove me crazy. Stripped the bike a few times but no improvement. Then took off the seat post and put a bit of graphite grease onto it - problem solved. Dont be fooled by it sounding like the back wheel.

If I was you, I would remove both peddals. Then slightly grease the peddal threads. Re-insert.

If that does not work, remove BB, lightly grease threads. Re-insert.

But my money is on the peddals...

Sounds like dry bearings, does it sound like twigs snapping, if so then it is, and I'd return it to the bike shop.

Hi, well I did everything you guys told me the problem still not fixed? Well just my luck will have to take it to the bike shop... Thanks

Hmmm

Let me think now. Firstly are you sure it is not a canoe? :unsure:

No! There is a wheel involved, well at least I assume it is a wheel. You suggest a rear weel. :blink:

I have only once made contact with an electric fence, I sure felt a klapping, but I heard bugger all because i passed out - I think, so I have no idea what an electric fence sounds like when it is klapping. I know however that it is a moerse snotklap! :whistling:

I do not think it is your peddals (this apparently is the plural of pedals) as mj_l states. If there is a CLICKING coming from your REAR WHEEL when you PEDAL hard, the first check would be your spokes (or is it spokkes?). If they are loose, particularly on the drive side, they will click as they move over one another.

Second check is your freewheel body/hub. Check if it is loose by standing your bike on level hard ground. Press down on the saddle, grab the top of the rear wheel in one hand and rock it across the direction of the axle. Keep the frame steady.

If it moves from side to side, you have loose bearings/axle.

However, if you are as unsure of your mechanics, as you are of spelling and grammar, then as the other Fubber says - take it back if it is NEW, and worry them like it worries you! :devil:

Good Luck!

Could be friction between the spokes, even if they are tight. Try placing some grease or vaseline between where the spokes cross each other. It worked for me.