The advantages of a thuaxle over QR??

Palaeodom

Guest Big H

Never, ever have I had that problem.

This whole through axle thing is quite interesting to me, I am watching and reading with interest, the stiffness arguments are the most entertaining thus far.

Be brave and give us your "expert" views instead of lurking

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't heard any really convincing arguments yet, there must be something that makes a difference. Top riders can't really be fused about how easy the wheel is to remove and put back on, thats what techs are for. I could understand on DH or all mountain where you need the increased structural strength of a 15mm or over axle gives but for XC....not sure.

Anyone got a nice picture/diagram for me showing how the through axle works?

The Maverick Thru-Axle

http://www.maverickbike.com/cms_images/file_163.jpg

Never, ever have I had that problem.

This whole through axle thing is quite interesting to me, I am watching and reading with interest, the stiffness arguments are the most entertaining thus far.

Hah, you Manic Mechinacal Mechanic you. :D

A TUBE is stiffer and stronger 9and lighter) than a SOLID ROD.

(I am tuned in, and the difference is remarkable.)

The comment about lighter crowns also has some merit!

Maybe someone should ask the DH hillbilly dudes over on the other side of "this 'ere 'ub" what they think!

One might have to word it thus though: "Hey, like dudes. Howziiit? - hanging like? Whot d ya scheem, QR or thru axil betta 4 bombing da cliffs? Peace out!"

There will not be an argument!

The Maverick Thru-Axle

http://www.maverickbike.com/cms_images/file_163.jpg

The first thruaxles were bolt in or on - except for the Maverick one where an engineering degree in space science helped - the move to levered QR is simply for ease of removal/installation and has little or nothing to do with strength,weight and steering stiffness gains.

If you do not believe that forks, frames, wheels etc deflect and deform under riding loads, then watch some slow-mo riding. Mindblowing!

Hah, you Manic Mechinacal Mechanic you. :D

A TUBE is stiffer and stronger 9and lighter) than a SOLID ROD.

(I am tuned in, and the difference is remarkable.)

The comment about lighter crowns also has some merit!

Maybe someone should ask the DH hillbilly dudes over on the other side of "this 'ere 'ub" what they think!

One might have to word it thus though: "Hey, like dudes. Howziiit? - hanging like? Whot d ya scheem, QR or thru axil betta 4 bombing da cliffs? Peace out!"

There will not be an argument!

I hear you and I understand all the benefits you mention, but in the long run for the average guy these things are negligible.

For cross country, I have my doubts, had I been a downhiller, well different story and if its a fork that does not employ a crown lower down to add to stiffness, then a through axle will be crucial.

I just find it so amusing that every time someone asks "what fork" in particular 29'ers, then a through axle gets recommended.

Perhaps through axle is more geared towards downhiller's and fatties :lol:

But the again, being just a regular weekend warrior, I have not been able to feel the added stiffness that comes with a through axle.

1 and 1/8 th. to 1.5 well yes that is a different story all together.

Be brave and give us your "expert" views instead of lurking

You are still the biggest pain in the arse I have ever encountered.

So for all good or ill intent, I will lurk as much as I feel fit, if you don't like it, then don't read my posts.

Guest Big H

So for all good or ill intent, I will lurk as much as I feel fit, if you don't like it, then don't read my posts.

Ag sjeim outjie is dit swaar?????

Ag sjeim outjie is dit swaar?????

Nee, jy is swaar , dikkes.

You bait people out and when they put you in your place you resort to playground antics.

For the last time, I DO NOT like you, I find you intolerable.

Guest Big H

Nee, jy is swaar , dikkes.

You bait people out and when they put you in your place you resort to playground antics.

For the last time, I DO NOT like you, I find you intolerable.

........ en??????

I hear you and I understand all the benefits you mention, but in the long run for the average guy these things are negligible.

For cross country, I have my doubts, had I been a downhiller, well different story and if its a fork that does not employ a crown lower down to add to stiffness, then a through axle will be crucial.

I just find it so amusing that every time someone asks "what fork" in particular 29'ers, then a through axle gets recommended.

Perhaps through axle is more geared towards downhiller's and fatties :lol:

But the again, being just a regular weekend warrior, I have not been able to feel the added stiffness that comes with a through axle.

1 and 1/8 th. to 1.5 well yes that is a different story all together.

Naah. Its big between standard wire QR and 20mm. Not sure of the feel between 15/20 but if you are a corner pumper, you can definitely feel the diffs.

Although you are a bit of a regressionist in the whole cycling technology field! :) :D :lol:

***You sold that sweet retro flavoured bike yet?****

Re the BIG ONE. He is big, but bib shorts are a far bigger pain in the butt !!

Naah.1. Its big between standard wire QR and 20mm. Not sure of the feel between 15/20 but if you are a corner pumper, you can definitely feel the diffs.

2.Although you are a bit of a regressionist in the whole cycling technology field! :) :D :lol:

***You sold that sweet retro flavoured bike yet?****

Re the BIG ONE. He is big, but bib shorts are a far bigger pain in the butt !!

1.Yes it's big but for everyday riding 80 % of the riders do, it's negligible.

2.Not a "regressionist" at all, just too dumb to understand technology.

Which bike, the Fisher ?

Thru axle is a must on DH & FR forks. The last thing you want is a skewer working its way loose with the fast and hard knocks of a DH trail, then later on the front wheel leaves the fork like Elin Woods after a settlement offer.

I guess besides a stiffness and strength advantage (because I have seen skewers bend before)... it's a safety advantage. My Boxxer 20mm through axle won't go anywhere unless all 5 bolts holding it in place happen to come loose at the same time, and I corner so hard that the axle jumps out sideways.

An example of an older RS Boxxer's thru axle mounts

http://www.mtbiker.co.za/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/stripped.jpg

Edited by patches

So can one convert any fork to take a through axle? SID Race with American Classics, can they be converted? I'm running a pure XC rig so not realistically going to change as i don't think i hit drops hard enough to require the exra strength, but its handy to keep in touch with the possibilities of the through-axle and benefits. maybe on the next bike.