Mavic Kysrium freehub problem

Saudiq

Hi All,

During the Argus cycle tour yesterday, by freehub seized up which resulted in me riding a fixie for 70 kms (Not my greatest cycling experience :thumbdown: ) . I had a mechanic in Simon's town check this out for me and told me it's a result of one of my pawls in the freehub being broken.

My question now is, do I just need to buy a freehub body to get this corrected? will the pawls be included with the new freehub body?

The reason for the questions is I want to buy one from Chain reaction cycles as there replacement body is R290 + R55 shipping, as opposed to my LBS who quoted me around R600 - R700.

Thanks guys,

:D

Hi All,

During the Argus cycle tour yesterday, by freehub seized up which resulted in me riding a fixie for 70 kms (Not my greatest cycling experience :thumbdown: ) . I had a mechanic in Simon's town check this out for me and told me it's a result of one of my pawls in the freehub being broken.

My question now is, do I just need to buy a freehub body to get this corrected? will the pawls be included with the new freehub body?

The reason for the questions is I want to buy one from Chain reaction cycles as there replacement body is R290 + R55 shipping, as opposed to my LBS who quoted me around R600 - R700.

Thanks guys,

:D

The pawls are part of the freehub - it threads onto the wheel hub.

Excellent, I needed to confirm before I place the order. Is there anything else that could've caused it to cease up?

The reason I ask is I don't want to buy the freehub if it is something else.

Excellent, I needed to confirm before I place the order. Is there anything else that could've caused it to cease up?

The reason I ask is I don't want to buy the freehub if it is something else.

If you couldn't get it to freewheel, but your hub still turned, then it is not your hub bearings.

You might just have finished sub 10 ! :D

Hi,

I had a similar problem with my crossmax SLR.. When I free wheeled it was as if the cassette was sticking to rim and chain would go slack. Got good advice from Mark at Crown cycles. I removed the body from the hub and gave everything a good clean/ wipe. Then put a couple of drops of mineral oil (pedro road rage) in the body just enough to fill 3 of the grooves in the body. Also rubbed some oil on the rubber seal that sits between the body and the rim. Had no problems after...This is suppose to be a basic service and should be done regularly.

Hope this helps

Hi,

I had a similar problem with my crossmax SLR.. When I free wheeled it was as if the cassette was sticking to rim and chain would go slack. Got good advice from Mark at Crown cycles. I removed the body from the hub and gave everything a good clean/ wipe. Then put a couple of drops of mineral oil (pedro road rage) in the body just enough to fill 3 of the grooves in the body. Also rubbed some oil on the rubber seal that sits between the body and the rim. Had no problems after...This is suppose to be a basic service and should be done regularly.

Hope this helps

DITTO THAT.

It might be worth opening first before spending your ZAR's. It might be that muck and grease have jambed the pawls or the pawl springs are rusted. Open and service. Mind all the tiny bearings!

Thanx for the reply guys! The bike mechanic at Jubilee checked it out yesterday, cleaned it out and sprayed it with lube but still didn't help. He then checked the pawls and showed me the one was broken

Ai man, if you were a week earlier, I could have given you a mavic freewheel body, but I have just move a lot of my stuff in storage as I am about to move out of my house into a rental job,and I don't have the fogiest idee in which box that Maviv freewheel body lies, dammit !!

Thanx for the reply guys! The bike mechanic at Jubilee checked it out yesterday, cleaned it out and sprayed it with lube but still didn't help. He then checked the pawls and showed me the one was broken

Seems to be a bit of a prob with Ksyrium. How many klicks has it done?

If you need tech info off Mavic you need to go to www.tech-mavic.com

On login: mavic-com

Password: dealer

good luck

Freehub problems is not uncommon on some Mavic wheels - its one of the design problems they have.

How does one clean and oil a mavic hub without noticing the broken pawl before reassembly and testing?

How does one clean and oil a mavic hub without noticing the broken pawl before reassembly and testing?

Personally I think this guy was exploiting cyclists, charging crazy prices for minor repairs. I think he thought it would be a quick clean and lube and off I go. Its only after attempting it for the 3rd time did he then think to check the plaws!!

Seems to be a bit of a prob with Ksyrium. How many klicks has it done?

Not entirely sure of total kms, I bought it from another hubber in November, according to him he did about 1000km and I've since done about 1500km.

Ai man, if you were a week earlier, I could have given you a mavic freewheel body, but I have just move a lot of my stuff in storage as I am about to move out of my house into a rental job,and I don't have the fogiest idee in which box that Maviv freewheel body lies, dammit !!

Dammit indeed!

Freehub problems is not uncommon on some Mavic wheels - its one of the design problems they have.

I really hope that's not the case with these, I really like these wheels!