Friendly Argus Cyclist

The Rock

I would just like to thank the person who gave me his chainbraker multi tool on the start of Smitswinkel clime.

I started in the G-group and when we got to Smitswinkel my derailleur hanger snapped of and my rear derailleur went into my spokes and broke the rear derailleur. One of the cyclists that passed me asked me if I needed a chainbraker and he threw his tool to me. I then proceeded by removing all the cabling and parts that was not working any more. I then shortened the chain to make my bike a single speed with a gear ratio of 14(at the back) and 39 (in front), as the chain were now shortened I could not use the 53 front blade so now I had to pedal up Smitswinkel, Small Chappys, Chappys and Suikerbossie by standing on all the climbs. Downhill’s I could only free and on the flats my top speed were 39kph.

I did finish my 14th Argus this year with the help of the person who gave me his chainbraker, I would like to return his multi tool to him so if any of you know this person let me contact me.

Thank you again!

Me and a friend discussed this scenario just the other day on what to do if your derailleur breaks in the tour (because his broke 2 weeks before the Argus). and I suggested single speed.

And now it happened!! Sweet.

Well done.

I have the privilege to know and often ride with The Rock.

Thanks to the person who helped my buddy there, it is payback for all the spares he's dished out to fellow cyclists over the years.

Good job