The risks of running non-UST on UST rims

Palaeodom

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the point if sealant is to remove the need for the inner tube. Tubeless rims are designed to form an airtight seal around the bead so i didn't think the tub was necessary. I run my tyres at pretty high pressure so i'm not too worried about beading rolling out or loosing the seal.

The point of sealant is too stop punctures. As far as I've been led to believe is that UST tyres are not supposed to have sealant in them.

Do you other guys who have used non-UST tyres on UST rims also use inner tubes as well as sealant?

Whats the point?

As long as you use tubes with those NON-UST tyres on your UST rims you should not have a problem. Most Pro's or at leat on the Euporean circuit race like that much lighter than the tubless tyres. Strange that a Tyre+Tube combo is lighter than a Tubless tyre + Stans combo. UST is overated.

Tyre+tube works fine if you are able to get the type of tyre and tyre pressures just right. I've had tubeless for years and never had to stop for a flat. Check and add goop every 3-4 months. My 29er has tubes and they have been fine until I put a Conti Race King on the back using the same psi as before. Result = 4 punctures in a week of riding. I removed the Conti, put the Geax Saguaro back on and, touch lots of wood, haven't had a puncture in the last 2 weeks. All riding is in typical Western Cape Karoo conditions.

Whats the point?

It does seem slightly pointless but i'd like to hear what everyone thinks. Tubes are a serious pain in the arse, why bother if you have sealant and a good tight bead seal?

It does seem slightly pointless but i'd like to hear what everyone thinks. Tubes are a serious pain in the arse, why bother if you have sealant and a good tight bead seal?

Possibly from a commuting point of view it would make sense. Then again, the right tyre eleminates the need for slime

Have been riding in Brazil for nearly three years with DT Swiss 4.2 with Stan´s tubeless conversion using a variety of non-UST tyres. No problems at all. With the conditions here UST tyres are not required.

I´ve also been running a 2,25 Racing Ralph non-UST on a Mavic X819 in excess of 3 years, first in Kosovo and now in SA, WC (I only get to use during holidays in SA so wear is minimal). I was suprise not to have any problems with this set-up in SA, not even while using latex based sealant (supposedly not good with this brand of tyre). The tyre will be replaced soon with same brand but UST versions, do not care for the weight but like the security of UST´s when in the mountains on my own. Note: my experience shows this might be more perception than reality.

I thought the point if sealant is to remove the need for the inner tube. Tubeless rims are designed to form an airtight seal around the bead so i didn't think the tub was necessary. I run my tyres at pretty high pressure so i'm not too worried about beading rolling out or loosing the seal.

Thats just my point, tubless was designed to run at a low pressure so you dont get pinched tubes. So if you running at a high pressure you dont need tubeless. You can use a lighter tyre and tube combo and have a better ride that using a tubeless setup at a high pressure.

Thats just my point, tubless was designed to run at a low pressure so you dont get pinched tubes. So if you running at a high pressure you dont need tubeless. You can use a lighter tyre and tube combo and have a better ride that using a tubeless setup at a high pressure.

Im under the impression UST tyres are supposed to run without tubes or slime :unsure:

OMG now you tell me , and I thought tubeless was to eliminate the need to change tubes everytime you hit a little rock . Get real people . If you going tubeless because you save weight or can run at lower pressures then I think rather don't bother . :blink: Yesterday hit rock at high speed , two holes and one cut along the tyre bead . 2 and half plugs later I was on my way and finished the remainding 40km of my ride .

Im under the impression UST tyres are supposed to run without tubes or slime :unsure:

You dont seem to understand, UST tyres dont use tubes that's why they are called Tubeless. You use them for lower pressure setup. Where if you use a normal tyre and tube setup at low pressure you will keep pinching the tube.

Thats why I dont understand guys that rave about there tubeless road wheels, that just does not make sence. You want the highest pressure possible to get the maximun out of you road wheels.

Its like putting slime in you Tubbies, thats just not on.

Anyway thats a fight for another day.

You dont seem to understand, UST tyres dont use tubes that's why they are called Tubeless. You use them for lower pressure setup. Where if you use a normal tyre and tube setup at low pressure you will keep pinching the tube.

Thats why I dont understand guys that rave about there tubeless road wheels, that just does not make sence. You want the highest pressure possible to get the maximun out of you road wheels.

Its like putting slime in you Tubbies, thats just not on.

Anyway thats a fight for another day.

Isn't that what I just said, that UST tyres are designed to take no tubes? So that tubeless you can run lower pressure, the slime is for added security for puctures :unsure: . I'm talking MTB not road

OMG now you tell me , and I thought tubeless was to eliminate the need to change tubes everytime you hit a little rock . Get real people . If you going tubeless because you save weight or can run at lower pressures then I think rather don't bother . :blink: Yesterday hit rock at high speed , two holes and one cut along the tyre bead . 2 and half plugs later I was on my way and finished the remainding 40km of my ride .

Just for the record I just ride MTB for fun and have UST wheels with Conti Race King UST, but use Tube and slime setup. So thats the heaviest setup. Its not about the weight, its about not getting punctures and the UST tyres are alot thicker and tougher on the sidewalls. Oh ja I also run them at 3-4 pressure depending where I am riding.

Just for the record I just ride MTB for fun and have UST wheels with Conti Race King UST, but use Tube and slime setup. So thats the heaviest setup. Its not about the weight, its about not getting punctures and the UST tyres are alot thicker and tougher on the sidewalls. Oh ja I also run them at 3-4 pressure depending where I am riding.

From my point of view that is overkill. I'm not taking the piss because of what you do, just don't think its necessary

Edited by Caerus

If you ride with high pressures then the chances of pinching the side wall is reduced and that sort of reduces the need for UST tyres. Tears from trail debris and rocks are just unlucky i suppose. But if you have non-UST then its a quick fix by throwing a tube in. If you are running high pressures and have a highly inflated non-UST tyre then also the use of slime means you don't need inner tubes...or am i completely wrong.

I recently did a tubeless conversion on my commuter's slicks. Had some issues with it sealing initially, but both tyres were up and ready within 30 mins. My primary motivation was the fact that the bike shop said it couldn't be done... I've now got around 1K km on them and they are going strong.

Only concern is the higher pressures are leading to Stans sprays, whenever a thorn comes out. <_<