Bike Import UK

BigBoy10

I've bought a road frame from a bike store in the uk which is now waiting for collection. They want to charge GBP380 which I think is crazy. I've got quotes from international courier companies and the quotes vary from 5k to 8k - insanity!

UPS came back with a R2000 quote.

Does anyone know any other options? Container shipment perhaps? Planet-X bikes in the UK quote GBP80 to ship a full bike to ZA.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've bought a road frame from a bike store in the uk which is now waiting for collection. They want to charge GBP380 which I think is crazy. I've got quotes from international courier companies and the quotes vary from 5k to 8k - insanity!

UPS came back with a R2000 quote.

Does anyone know any other options? Container shipment perhaps? Planet-X bikes in the UK quote GBP80 to ship a full bike to ZA.

Container shipment is only cost effective for large items. In your case, airfreight should be the cheapest. I use Berco Express all the time (now called Aramex). Ask them for an airfreight quote, not international courier.

Container shipment is only cost effective for large items. In your case, airfreight should be the cheapest. I use Berco Express all the time (now called Aramex). Ask them for an airfreight quote, not international courier.

Also, in my experience, international courier is generally cheaper if arranged within the country of origin and not destination. Doesn't the UK bike store have other courier options?

If they catch you they will make you pay and hit you with a big fine. If your bud does not have the cash on him they will take it away from him and send it to the State Warehouse. Once there they will charge you rather expensive storage and you will still have to pay the duties vat and penalties. If you are lucky enough to get it out of there.

Do it the right way and don't steal from our economy.

Yeah Thats right.Let him bring it in the illegal way. Because i work for Customs,i will detain and seize it and eventually buy it from the state warehouse for a 1/5 of the price. So any Hubbers interested in buying a 29er bike for a Bargain,ha ha ha

Also, in my experience, international courier is generally cheaper if arranged within the country of origin and not destination. Doesn't the UK bike store have other courier options?

Thanks for the advice, the uk bike shop did but at £280 I thought it overpriced.

Don't worry about the nay sayers! It's been done 000s of times, the chances of your bud being stopped coming in are 00000000000 to 1. If he is stopped, worst that can happen he takes it home again. If he buys now, or in the next 2 months, there are lots of bargains, as the stores get rid of 2012 stock. He can also try to get the 17% UK vat back, just makes it that much cheaper, and it can be substantially cheaper. With stock reduction and 17% vat back, prices can be less than 1/2 local prices.

How's this for a joke:

I phone Amarex in JHB for a quote to ship a frame from the UK to SA.

They send me a quote for R19,800...

How's this for a joke:

LOL - That's a bit excessive.

Guest Omega Man

How's this for a joke:

Yoh. Is the bike flying Business Class?

Edited by Omega Man

How's this for a joke:

But that was for an airfreight quote? Something is wrong here, I ship in goods from the East for less.

But that was for an airfreight quote? Something is wrong here, I ship in goods from the East for less.

Is was International Courier. I'm now in contact with their Manchester Air Freight office, and it has to be done commercially as opposed to personal shipment. I might have to organise an import/export license number - luckily my brother in law can sort that one out for me - but what a story!!!

Is was International Courier. I'm now in contact with their Manchester Air Freight office, and it has to be done commercially as opposed to personal shipment. I might have to organise an import/export license number - luckily my brother in law can sort that one out for me - but what a story!!!

Bit more hassle, but will be cheaper. You then have to go to the airport to clear the frame (with your import/export code) - or you can hire a clearing agent, but they will also add their fee.

note on costing:

Planet-X and on-one will charge GBP70 for the shipment of one bicycle complete. You can fill the box with extras.

UK VAT is 20%

RSA VAT is 14%

RSA duties on complete bike is 15%

RSA duty on bike parts is 0%.

however, it is yet to be determined if this 0% applies to parts shipped with a complete bike.

Net addon on UK price will be about (Thimb suck) 10%

This however where it gets interesting. RSA importers are known to split bikes up to side step the 15% duty which they then are able to work into their markup.

In the end after importer, wholesalers, distributor and retailer have added their cuts, it is easier and cheaper to import complete bikes directly from UK retailers................(and pay the 10% penalty) and the 70pund postage (70times 14 plus fudge and commissions =R1400)

Bit more hassle, but will be cheaper. You then have to go to the airport to clear the frame (with your import/export code) - or you can hire a clearing agent, but they will also add their fee.

Rate from Aramex Air Freight is now R 2,500... I think hiring a drug mule to bring it through might be cheaper.

note on costing:

Planet-X and on-one will charge GBP70 for the shipment of one bicycle complete. You can fill the box with extras.

UK VAT is 20%

RSA VAT is 14%

RSA duties on complete bike is 15%

RSA duty on bike parts is 0%.

however, it is yet to be determined if this 0% applies to parts shipped with a complete bike.

The VAT is 14% plus 10% ATV FOR IMPORTED GOODSNet addon on UK price will be about (Thimb suck) 10%

This however where it gets interesting. RSA importers are known to split bikes up to side step the 15% duty which they then are able to work into their markup.

In the end after importer, wholesalers, distributor and retailer have added their cuts, it is easier and cheaper to import complete bikes directly from UK retailers................(and pay the 10% penalty) and the 70pund postage (70times 14 plus fudge and commissions =R1400)

Guest ctMTBer

Hmm, he may have an issue getting out the country again if he do'snt have the bike anymore - customs can flag his ID or passport number and when he leaves the airline will refer him to customs before issueing a boarding pass.

Its draconian and but not unlikely especially if he is stopped,... just be aware of it.

Never heard of that, he could always say it as stolen here?