MTB becomes road racing!

Ridemyplanet

LOL! I was referring to another master. You're so vain, you probably think this thread is about you... (just teasing, but you can take it, right?) :P

Chap I am talking about finished 18th in Crater Cruise (but his SS is a 26") :P

Of course I am vein :D

B-man is trailing at 20 hours , that's why I thought him.

Other than that there was no Singlespeeder in that position at Crater.

Are you referring to the long or short race ?

The top three were in the top 50, two Elites and a Vet, no master.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course I am vein :D

B-man is trailing at 20 hours , that's why I thought him.

Other than that there was no Singlespeeder in that position at Crater.

Are you referring to the long or short race ?

The top three were in the top 50, two Elites and a Vet, no master.

Rynard van Hoven - 2009 Crater. He is riding Epic in team Reparil, they are on 19:06 hours after three days. That must hurt!

the best thing i have discovered about MTB in my short few weeks of riding is that you dont get the 'fun riders' who hide in the bunch while you help work in front and then you get to a hill and off they go very chuffed with themselves that they can go up a hill so fast, no such thing as that in MTB :clap: there's no where to hide when there is no tar!! a true test of one's fitness and ability in my opinion!!

Please don't make the mistake of equating the South African funriding culture with road racing. There's no comparison. :lol:

Between, Keith Bonrager, Gary Fisher ,Mike Sinyard to name a few, there has to be history of some sorts ?

Ned Overend has more tradition in his left pinky than what Contador has in both his Clen infested nuts.

More character in MTB than what road will ever have ,MTB has downhillers, free riders, singlespeeders, XC riders, four cross nuts........

Dangle, I love mountainbiking and I'll be the first to admit that it has history and character (not so sure about tradition though). It is, however, a much younger and newer sport (Aren't Bontrager, Fisher and Sinyard all still alive? :P ) so there's no way that it could (at least not at this stage) have as rich a history and as much character as road cycling.

Must agree with you in respect of Contador - but since when does Contador represent a whole sport, which is over a century old? And what does doping have to do with it? [if by your reference to his clen infested nuts you are implying that mountainbiking is cleaner than road cycling, you're in for a rude awakening... :P ] Doping itself has its whole own history and is not restricted to only certain sports.

MTB has downhillers, free riders, singlespeeders, XC riders, four cross nuts........[/color]

You forgot bmx and dual. ;) And where do trackies, fixies and cyclocross riders fit in? What about folding bike and rollapalooza racing? I don't think diversification equates to character, but that's just my view.

Any way, road racing and mountainbiking (whatever you include under either heading) are just way to different to be compared on a which-is-better-harder-tougher-my-is-dad-is-stronger-than-your-dad way. Or in any way actually.

But if road cycling didn't have (granted, at least for the timebeing) more history, tradition and character - why is mountainbiking using some of their concepts? :)

Rynard van Hoven - 2009 Crater. He is riding Epic in team Reparil, they are on 19:06 hours after three days. That must hurt!

That should still be top 100 or so, now imagine the dudes further back :eek:

That should still be top 100 or so, now imagine the dudes further back :eek:

Ed Zachary! At least nowadays the average rider is getting good value for money - average riders should pay about R250-R300 per hour.

I am a roadie but must admit, MTBikers are getting a heck lotta stronger and faster, you wonder why are they sticking in the bush when they too love speed. The other point on no place to hide in the bunch is sure test of strength on MTBikers, its everyman for himself unlike roadies where some lazy bums just hang at the tail and power towards the end to cross the line.

Real MTB is not sissies ,I can vouch for that................... :D

I have to ask myself, what's happened to the good old epic where every stage was 100 km's + for a full 8 days.

Dangle, you know that not all 100km's are the same, and that a 80km can also be tougher than a 100km depending on the climbing so less km's could be tougher than the previous longer stages.

Please don't make the mistake of equating the South African funriding culture with road racing. There's no comparison. :lol:

Dangle, I love mountainbiking and I'll be the first to admit that it has history and character (not so sure about tradition though). It is, however, a much younger and newer sport (Aren't Bontrager, Fisher and Sinyard all still alive? :P ) so there's no way that it could (at least not at this stage) have as rich a history and as much character as road cycling.

Must agree with you in respect of Contador - but since when does Contador represent a whole sport, which is over a century old? And what does doping have to do with it? [if by your reference to his clen infested nuts you are implying that mountainbiking is cleaner than road cycling, you're in for a rude awakening... :P ] Doping itself has its whole own history and is not restricted to only certain sports.

You forgot bmx and dual. ;) And where do trackies, fixies and cyclocross riders fit in? What about folding bike and rollapalooza racing? I don't think diversification equates to character, but that's just my view.

Any way, road racing and mountainbiking (whatever you include under either heading) are just way to different to be compared on a which-is-better-harder-tougher-my-is-dad-is-stronger-than-your-dad way. Or in any way actually.

But if road cycling didn't have (granted, at least for the timebeing) more history, tradition and character - why is mountainbiking using some of their concepts? :)

BMX is not MTB

As for the Dual, well hence my .................

As for the Clen issue and as to which sport is cleaner, clearly MTB which stands for Mountain Biking and not Bicycle Motocross, is the cleaner sport, I don't see many MTB riders making the headlines in terms of drug use/abuse.

So because people are still alive, that means a sport can't have history ?

Character has zip to do with the age of a sport either, my six year old will prove to you that at 6 he has more character than his dad at 41.

Trackies, fixies and the others again, is not MTB.

Why would there be no tradition, tell me ?

Even Epic has become a tradition, 7 years and counting.

When TOSA gets to as many competitors and riders a year such as races like Rhodes, Sabie and Barberton...........(oops let me add)to name a few.

Then and only then would there be a possibility that MTB has no tradition.

Edited by Dangle

Dangle, you know that not all 100km's are the same, and that a 80km can also be tougher than a 100km depending on the climbing so less km's could be tougher than the previous longer stages.

No I didn't, being new to the sport of MTB , I really din't know that.

No I didn't, being new to the sport of MTB , I really din't know that.

I was just asking, not being sarcastic, sorry you went there...

You were asking why they changed the format from the good old days a tough 100km/day and I said that it's just as tough now even if it's shorter, that's allhuh.gif

Dangle, I'm sorry that you didn't take the time to read what I said. What could have been a fun and interesting debate has already turned nasty and I will now be withdrawing from it. All the best.

Come now people! MTBs are completely new inventions that bear no resemblance to bicycles except that they have 2 wheels. They're just motorbikes without motors.

They're also for inherently lazy people who can't open their car windows without electrics; all this namby-pamby stuff like shock absorbers (your core muscles aren't strong enough) and disc brakes (diddums! Likkle mountain bikey boykie's not strong enough to pull his brakesy-wakesy levers?)

Bunch of posers in khaki! Trying to hark back to a caveman era, like Harley-Davidson riders who think that face bandanas and leather tassels make them cowboys. Tcha! I lycra-fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberries.

Come now people! MTBs are completely new inventions that bear no resemblance to bicycles except that they have 2 wheels. They're just motorbikes without motors.

They're also for inherently lazy people who can't open their car windows without electrics; all this namby-pamby stuff like shock absorbers (your core muscles aren't strong enough) and disc brakes (diddums! Likkle mountain bikey boykie's not strong enough to pull his brakesy-wakesy levers?)

Bunch of posers in khaki! Trying to hark back to a caveman era, like Harley-Davidson riders who think that face bandanas and leather tassels make them cowboys. Tcha! I lycra-fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberries.

Hahahahaha! 10 out of 10 for humour :clap:

Unfortunately 0.3 out of 10 for making any point whatsoever :)

I like to think of road cycling like a SL55 AMG, mo3rse fast, effective, sleek, get it?

And then MTBiking as Toyota Landcruiser Pickup, with a helluva turbo! Rough, touch, goes like sh!t on downhills and afterwards you can use the bonnet for the braai! :thumbup:

Good chat guys. Thanks.

I am confused though . . . . . . . what are "elderberries"?

They are dangleberries for old folk. ;)

I was just asking, not being sarcastic, sorry you went there...

You were asking why they changed the format from the good old days a tough 100km/day and I said that it's just as tough now even if it's shorter, that's allhuh.gif

Dangle, I'm sorry that you didn't take the time to read what I said. What could have been a fun and interesting debate has already turned nasty and I will now be withdrawing from it. All the best.

Touchy , touchy.

I spent time reading you response, Nothingness.

Clearly you and G have not even entertained reading the entire thread as you have not picked up on the tongue in cheek comments from the very start, this is my disappointed face :)