Maintenance course

Beefy

Generic Answer No 2:

1) As someone said, different prices for different courses. The R&M course is two full days with meals and goodies and stuff. The Fork Maintenance workshop the Friday afternoon before the course, (CTN), is R780-00. This includes oil but not fork seals.

2) Yes, my next course is in Durbanville. I use Clara Anna Fontein as a venue.

3) Durban Surfer Gang: I need a low-key conference centre or B&B with an barn attached. If you guys can point me to what you perceive to be a suitable venue, I'll do the homework and book etc. We need a place where we can sit around a table and talk, with an adjacent space where we can set up workstands and work. Pretty B&Bs with frilly white curtains seem to shy away from my bookings. It needs to be a fairly robust place like Clara Anna Fontein in Cape Town where we chase the horses out of the hall before we start. Obviously they must also serve food and have a proper coffee machine.

4) Parktool text book. Yup, the 2nd Edition is the one we use.

5) Where to book? Send me an e-mail with your date and location and I'll respond with an invoice and information.

6) Who can do it? Anyone - boys and girls (20% if my customers are ladies), with a passion for cycling and a determination to take control of their maintenance.

7) Road bike or Mountain bike? The course is generic and bike-agnostic. The techniques are exactly the same. Some students bring both bikes and perform some operations on the one, others on the other. \

8) What will you learn in the two days? Everything other than how to build wheels and service shocks and forks. Those topics are covered in different courses.

Any other questions? Shoot.

I can speak to my wife about possible venues for Durban(she being an events co-ordinator), will we need to bring our own bike stands? I see you also offer a basic toolkit, what tools will be needed for the day?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone knows of suitable venues for the Durban course, please add some input.

Just to add on Johan's course - excellent presentation with enough detail to make you understand the underlying mechanics and rationale for what you are about to take apart, grease and put back together.

It runs over two days and is hard work - you stand next to your own bike for most of the time. But this is the beauty of the course - you basically go away there with a fully serviced bike - and the knowledge to repeat the process.

I took both my MTB and Road Bike and serviced them both from headset to wheel bearings (excluding shocks - that is a different course).

You can also buy the tools from him at decent prices - and he will not sell you something you dont need for your specific bike.

The confidence and peace of mind I had in my ability to make running repairs during the Epic last week was well worth the price of the course and the time invested.

If I am not mistaken the "James"referred to on that website is now holding clinics down under.

:blink:

Nope, just got an email - trailside repair course on WEdnesday evening!

Please put me down Johan for Durban, I'm definitely want to be there.

make that +1 as well, depending on dates etc.

Caerus - i see there are now 5 of us from Durban that are keen. Any luck with finding a venue.

Caerus - i see there are now 5 of us from Durban that are keen. Any luck with finding a venue.

I did see a venue the other day, but just clean forgot about calling them back. I will speak to the missus again tonight and get her on the case.

Maybe we could start a new thread, as we seem to have hi-jacked this one. Im free for any weekend.

Cool - i am also free except for the weekends i listed above.

Trying to convince my sani partner that he also needs to do this

Cool - i am also free except for the weekends i listed above.

Trying to convince my sani partner that he also needs to do this

Would be a good idea, that way what you might miss he will remeber. I was thinking of even fliming the day :lol: The missus is checking now for places

Edited by Caerus

Would be a good idea, that way what you might miss he will remeber. I was thinking of even fliming the day :lol: The missus is checking now for places

:lol:

and while i lick my wounds from the numerous wipe outs i always seem to have - he can fix my bike :lol: :D

Durban guys.

Thanks for your enthusiasm. It looks like we'll finally get a course in KZN going.

I'm thinking 4 June or 11 June. Also, I'll start a new thread. Durban Maintenance and Repair Course. Lets take the issue over there.