Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

We moved and added a few markers on the Pink Link between Middelvlei and the Yellow Loop. Just to make it easier to follow as we had a few riders take the wrong option there.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys.

We’ve added a Purple Loop to the trails which gives riders starting from Middelvlei the option to do an additional 6 km without having to continue over the hill on the Red Route. We did this because we felt riders from Middelvlei needed another option with more distance and climbing without having to do the entire Red Route.

It will also give riders coming from Bottelary side the opportunity to bail out via the Purple Loop if they don’t want to continue on the Red Route.

There’s a map for the Purple Loop on this page http://bottelaryhillsmtb.co.za/?page_id=435

All the necessary signs and markers are in place, so try it out and give us some feedback.

We want to try out the yellow and purple loops this Saturday afternoon. I got lost on the red loop during the inaugural ride and want to avoid a repeat. As a precaution, I've traced the route as track back on Google's My Maps using the published image of the route as a reference. I then transferred the traced track to a Google Maps app on my smartphone. The phone is equipped with a GPS and it will be possible to navigate the track should any doubts arise about having missed a route marker. The plan is to record the workout after which an accurate track file should be available.

We want to try out the yellow and purple loops this Saturday afternoon. I got lost on the red loop during the inaugural ride and want to avoid a repeat. As a precaution, I've traced the route as track back on Google's My Maps using the published image of the route as a reference. I then transferred the traced track to a Google Maps app on my smartphone. The phone is equipped with a GPS and it will be possible to navigate the track should any doubts arise about having missed a route marker. The plan is to record the workout after which an accurate track file should be available.

I assume you plan to start at Middelvlei and not Only-One like you did last time.

I am not aware of a marked route back to Only-One from where the purple ends. You will need to follow the red in reverse to go back to Only-one if you bail out via the purple.

From Middelvlei you should not have a problem.

Just make sure you get back onto the yellow after doing the red/purple.

Exiting the yellow on the way back to Middelvlei is easy; you just continue straight down to the bottom of the brick paved road.

Route marker issues from the opening ride on the Red Route have been sorted to make them clearer, so you won't get lost.

From where the Purple Loop rejoins the Red Route, the Red Route is marked with pink arrows in reverse back to "The Only One" restuarant. Has been since the start of the trails.

Enjoy the ride.

Edited by Hellwarp

I assume you plan to start at Middelvlei and not Only-One like you did last time.

I am not aware of a marked route back to Only-One from where the purple ends. You will need to follow the red in reverse to go back to Only-one if you bail out via the purple.

From Middelvlei you should not have a problem.

Just make sure you get back onto the yellow after doing the red/purple.

Exiting the yellow on the way back to Middelvlei is easy; you just continue straight down to the bottom of the brick paved road.

Yes, we want to start and end at Middelvlei doing the yellow route plus the extra purple loop. It works out to about 22km according to Google Maps. Here is the route as I recreated it on MyMaps, see: <http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=200715723603269957649.0004a2f89d95c600c5bd5&t=h&z=14> Hope I've got it right? I assume the purple route's arrows are marked in purple and that where the purple and red routes overlap (red and blue dotted line on the official map)the route arrows are in red.

Yes, we want to start and end at Middelvlei doing the yellow route plus the extra purple loop. It works out to about 22km according to Google Maps. Here is the route as I recreated it on MyMaps, see: <http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=200715723603269957649.0004a2f89d95c600c5bd5&t=h&z=14> Hope I've got it right? I assume the purple route's arrows are marked in purple and that where the purple and red routes overlap (red and blue dotted line on the official map)the route arrows are in red.

Looks 90% correct to me.

From the latest map on http://bottelaryhillsmtb.co.za it seems that there was a slight change to the purple from the initial suggestion posted in this thread. The purple now cuts across to join the red a bit higher up rather than going straight down.

And you have not got the link back onto the yellow from the red 100% correct either, but it is well marked; you will not miss it.

Edited by mountain_lion

I assume the purple route's arrows are marked in purple and that where the purple and red routes overlap (red and blue dotted line on the official map)the route arrows are in red.

There are both red and purple arrows on the same route marker boards where the routes overlap, so it should be easy to follow the purple loop. There is a big A4 size sign where the purple route splits from the red route and a short but fairly steep downhill section immediately after the split - just be careful there, especially when it is wet. Just keep in mind that the purple arrows stop where you rejoin the yellow loop - from there just follow the yellow arrows as usual when you do the yellow loop

Where the routes overlap they are marked with both colours.

Middelvlei do a "Boerebraai" on Saturdays, booking required. Alternatively there's the "Food market" at Oude Libertas (on the way to Middelvlei) if you want a bite to eat afterwards.

Enjoy !

Looks 90% correct to me.

From the latest map on http://bottelaryhillsmtb.co.za it seems that there was a slight change to the purple from the initial suggestion posted in this thread. The purple now cuts across to join the red a bit higher up rather than going straight down.

And you have not got the link back onto the yellow from the red 100% correct either, but it is well marked; you will not miss it.

Thanks Mountain Lion. I've updated my Google route accordingly.

Thanks Mountain Lion. I've updated my Google route accordingly.

Enjoy!

I am off for a weekend away in the Karoo with Mrs mountain_lion.

Rustic cottage, no electricity... :devil:

Bikes are packed too; some great MTB trails from the front door :)

Did the purple loop yesterday from and back to Middelvlei. There's a summer and winter option as a 400m part of the route may become too muddy in winter. Summer option is 22.8 km on bike computer, winter option 23.2 km so not much difference distance wise. Theres a sign showing the summer/winter split. The winter option adds a short climb.

Ride time was 1 hour 31 min at a leisurely pace.

Got the permit and hit the trails on Friday. The routes are very cool and well marked, but the signs are a bit small and easy to miss if you're not looking out for them. Then again, if you don't see any signs, backtrack a bit and you'll soon see where you went wrong.

One thing though: did you guys know there is a target shooting range ON the trail. It was quite disconcerting coming around a corner and there's a guy pointing a rifle in my direction!

Got the permit and hit the trails on Friday. The routes are very cool and well marked, but the signs are a bit small and easy to miss if you're not looking out for them. Then again, if you don't see any signs, backtrack a bit and you'll soon see where you went wrong.

One thing though: did you guys know there is a target shooting range ON the trail. It was quite disconcerting coming around a corner and there's a guy pointing a rifle in my direction!

Hi Musashi

Its not a target shooting range, its a place where the landowner has allowed a friend to sight their rifle before their annual hunt. We weren't aware of this and have contacted the landowner. I came across the guy when we rode through there on Saturday morning, he said he had permission from the landowner. Found this strange as I'm sure the landowner would not have allowed shooting when he knows the trail passes through there. The landowner had forgotten about the fact that he had given someone permission to sight a rifle there some time ago. Needless to say no more shooting will take place there.

We also came across the riflemen on Saturday afternoon at about 3pm. We were also a little startled to see a rifle on a stand pointing in our direction on the trail. They guys only resumed firing when we well clear, but there were no warnings on the approach to the spot where they were situated. The riflemen are also unable to see approaching cyclists because they were located in a dip. Cyclists are unable to see the 'range' till they crest the small hill in very close proximity to where the targets were set up.

We did the route , or part of it, for the first time today. Cycled to Haasendal, then the green route, then red and also some orange. Will become a popular trip, great views. Very different compared to Hillcrest, Contermans and Meerendal where the "less nimble" (=bigger okes like me, 90kgs +) struggle to do the frequent 180 degree turns.

Hi everyone

Firstly thanks to all those who have supported our trails by purchasing annual permits and day permits. It's nice to see so many people on the trails.

What is disheartening though is the amount of people riding without permits. The rules are clear, no permit no ride and ride on the marked trails only. The excuses are endless but if people know about the trails then surely they also know that you require a permit to ride.

We even have groups riding where some have permits and others don't? So how could they not have known?

Another thing, being a Tygerberg MTB Club member does not entitle you to ride our trails for free. You require a Bottelary Hills MTB annual or day permit. Not knowing where to purchase a permit is no excuse, that information is freely available. If you have an annual permit (bike board) then display it, if you bought a day permit then wear the armband, that way you won't get stopped.

The scenario is simple, the trails will not remain open if riders abuse the system. If you come across riders without permits kindly inform them that they are tresspassing on private land if they haven't aquired a permit.

Believe me that it's not pleasant having to stop riders to enquire about permits, always an uncomfortable situation that I can do without when I'm on the trails enjoying the scenery. Sooner than later we are going to have to take a firmer stance regarding freeloaders if this trend continues.