Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

I didn't say that is what I want to achieve...just found it pointless as I go there like hardly ever..mainly I go to Tokai or Jonkershoek (and i have a wildcard and pay for Jonkers) If its such a issue with me going to Majik, go put up a stand there and I will pay my R10...the other 70% of riders there is no member of any club....and still go there....they just go for fun....

I was just asking cause I did see them there coming out....especially around 6-7pm during week...what happens if they stop you and ask and you didn't pay? Do they get arrested, or how does it work?

Not sure why you are ranting about majik, majik has always been free, and TGMTB have done a steller job to put trails on there and maintain them so that their club memeber have one long continues route to the other TGMTB trails. If you want to ride at Majik nobody is going to stop you, but why would you want to do just majik anyway? Might as well just ride around the block once or twice its not a very challenging route by itself. Also with all the residents complaining about the MTB'ers not sure for how long TGMTB will maintain those trails till they decide its not worth the money or the effort.

As for the people that have been riding on botterlary yes there have been people riding there most of them with permission, but they were sanctioned to one or two farms. That curtesy has been revoked, and I also beleive loads of people have been following suite riding those farms without permission. Which is not on, i live in that area and i have for many years, never once considered going onto a farm where i dont have permission.

The guys from bottelry made 45km of land available where MTB'ers can train proper distances with loads of climbing stunning views and some nice downhills for R270 per year I mean cmon, if you want to ride there cough up that little bit of cash its well worth it. One years of entertainement vs the cost for taking my family to watch a single movie. And once the cash rolls in there are many more plans for the hills had a nice chat with who'm i assume is one of the farm owners and he let me in on some other tidbits they are planning.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I seen loads of people coming from that side of Bottelary on the farms long before this trails were started...always when I road cycle past they come from there, don't you think its a bit unfair they have to pay now as they been using those farms long before? Same as I won't join Tygerberg MTB to cycle at Magic Forest cause I been going there since I was 11....*don't attack me, just a question*

<hijack on> I think that part of the issues with local residents wanting to prohibit mountain biking at Majick Forest is exactly this. Too many riders and too little control. If it was not for the efforts from Tygerberg MTB club, their good standing with local council and the trail maintenance that they are doing, we would have been out of there a long time ago. I first joined TBMTB club just as they were opening up Hillcrest. Not to ride Hillcrest for "free", but to support the trail maintenance at Majick Forest as this was my regular after-work ride. I am hoping that the club and local authorities can come to some sort of fee arrangement for the majick forest area to ensure that these trails remain accessable to us. <hijack off>

Up to now we haven't taken a hard stance against people we've come across without permits. We've given people a warning who have not had permits but will soon have to charge people with trespassing if they do not carry the required permit. Remember its private land.

I didn't want to hijack this thread, but i think a lot of issues about public perception of trail access will come up on this project. They might be particular to bottelary, but reflect a general relationship between mtbers and landowners.

I'm always amazed at how guys on R30k mtbs moan about R30 trail fees. Hellwarp, i think you guys have gone about the right way with the 'no exceptions rule'

Not sure why you are ranting about majik, majik has always been free, and TGMTB have done a steller job to put trails on there and maintain them so that their club memeber have one long continues route to the other TGMTB trails. If you want to ride at Majik nobody is going to stop you, but why would you want to do just majik anyway? Might as well just ride around the block once or twice its not a very challenging route by itself. Also with all the residents complaining about the MTB'ers not sure for how long TGMTB will maintain those trails till they decide its not worth the money or the effort.

As for the people that have been riding on botterlary yes there have been people riding there most of them with permission, but they were sanctioned to one or two farms. That curtesy has been revoked, and I also beleive loads of people have been following suite riding those farms without permission. Which is not on, i live in that area and i have for many years, never once considered going onto a farm where i dont have permission.

The guys from bottelry made 45km of land available where MTB'ers can train proper distances with loads of climbing stunning views and some nice downhills for R270 per year I mean cmon, if you want to ride there cough up that little bit of cash its well worth it. One years of entertainement vs the cost for taking my family to watch a single movie. And once the cash rolls in there are many more plans for the hills had a nice chat with who'm i assume is one of the farm owners and he let me in on some other tidbits they are planning.

I didn't say I don't want to pay, I don't mind paying for any decent trails ;) I just asked a question about eople going there and don't pay...

Up to now we haven't taken a hard stance against people we've come across without permits. We've given people a warning who have not had permits but will soon have to charge people with trespassing if they do not carry the required permit. Remember its private land.

Thnx, myself and a other few people considering it to join, we coming to explore the trails this weekend....as it is close to me. Just a question, how safe is it? As I will be cycling via Bottlary rd and then do some night rides there, or what would you recommend?

<hijack on> I think that part of the issues with local residents wanting to prohibit mountain biking at Majick Forest is exactly this. Too many riders and too little control. If it was not for the efforts from Tygerberg MTB club, their good standing with local council and the trail maintenance that they are doing, we would have been out of there a long time ago. I first joined TBMTB club just as they were opening up Hillcrest. Not to ride Hillcrest for "free", but to support the trail maintenance at Majick Forest as this was my regular after-work ride. I am hoping that the club and local authorities can come to some sort of fee arrangement for the majick forest area to ensure that these trails remain accessable to us. <hijack off>

To me it is about where will I spend most my time....I'd rather join a place where I know I will be mtbiking most times....so I go to Tokai, not so often to Jonkers but if it is Bottelry where I will be alot I will join them also....I never been to any other TygerMTB club places except Majik...where I hardly go anymore as its boring and short....the cycle there to and back is already 12km of my ride...

As Mountain Lion stated, there is an easy option - at the bottom of the climb there is a big sign (A4 size) giving you the option of going straight up the climb, or turn right for a much easier and flatter option - just look out for it next time.

Glad you enjoyed the rest of the ride.

I am actually not complaining, this was perfect for my training ride. Did 80km and just happened to hit that hill 2 hours into my ride :rolleyes: And I made it all the way to the top!

As I said this is a fantastic place to ride and will definitely become a fixture in my rides

I am actually not complaining, this was perfect for my training ride. Did 80km and just happened to hit that hill 2 hours into my ride :rolleyes: And I made it all the way to the top!

As I said this is a fantastic place to ride and will definitely become a fixture in my rides

How do u recommend the route experience wise? I have some beginners that what to join me but they relatively fit....what routes would you say?

Guys the farmers have agreed to co-operate and stand together by making a route available across their land. So it would be nice and to everyones benefit if the MTB community could stand together and follow the rules laid out for the trails.

There's enough politics elsewhere, the farmers don't need it and MTB being a sport definately can do without it. So we not interested in cycling or club politics.

Enough said.

For clarity on the rules of our trails visit our website http://bottelaryhillsmtb.co.za/?page_id=682

Thanks to everyone who has supported us so far by buying day or annual permits.

Looking forward to seeing many more.

Edited by Hellwarp

How do u recommend the route experience wise? I have some beginners that what to join me but they relatively fit....what routes would you say?

From a training perspective top notch - there are enough ups and downs to keep you honest. Some of the views are also awesome - just a pity we saw the Helderberg fire evolving....

I would just take the beginners there and ride. If fit they should handle most of the ride.

Bit early to do, but an organised race would also do wonders for advertising this area?

Edited by slabs

Guys the farmers have agreed to co-operate and stand together by making a route available across their land. So it would be nice and to everyones benefit if the MTB community could stand together and follow the rules laid out for the trails.

There's enough politics elsewhere, the farmers don't need it and MTB being a sport definately can do without it. So we not interested in cycling or club politics.

Enough said.

For clarity on the rules of our trails visit our website http://bottelaryhill...za/?page_id=682

Thanks to everyone who has supported us so far by buying day or annual permits.

Looking forward to seeing many more.

Enjoyed the ride this sunday, and looking forward to some more technical sections. Like i said earlier excellent training grounds if you want some distance without sucking exhaust fumes. So a big up to all involved and all the land owners allowing the MTB community in.

Not sure if other people had the same experiance me and my mates had, but i found the initial directions from the starting point at hazendal a bit lacking, which ment us wonder around the trail going the wrong way around for a bit before we realized we are doing the loop in reverse. once we turned around and found the actual start to the green section (it made a bit more sense). Anyway being fluish, i bailed where the red/green loops meet decided to just get home so i continued on with the green loop to head back home, two of my mates decided to go on with the red. And they got a lost a couple of times again and bailed the red route and went home.

Point being i know you guys dropped loads of markers, but spotting them was quite a challenge in some places, besides that, the bit i did of the route was nice, stunning views, nice climbs, varying terrain at some places and some nice potential for ST.

Keep up the good work. And would love to be able to do a night ride on the trails, with those views doing a night ride it will be so rewarding getting to the top and appreciating the panorama's.

post-14491-0-19399900-1303126618.jpg

post-14491-0-18924100-1303126663.jpg

Edited by covie

Thanks covie.

We've added some temporary signage from Hazendal to prevent peeps taking a wrong turn there.

Riders keeping to the route is essential so people getting lost is a major problem. We accept that some of the markers may not be obvious enough. We will be doing another check of the entire route so that there can be no doubt in the riders mind of which direction to take. This can't be done overnight as it takes a while to cover the entire system and plant poles etc where necessary.

We did 2 test rides (with riders who didn't know the route) before opening to make sure they could follow the route, yet we still have the odd rider getting lost. So we will triple check and add more or move markers where necessary.

Thanks covie.

We've added some temporary signage from Hazendal to prevent peeps taking a wrong turn there.

Riders keeping to the route is essential so people getting lost is a major problem. We accept that some of the markers may not be obvious enough. We will be doing another check of the entire route so that there can be no doubt in the riders mind of which direction to take. This can't be done overnight as it takes a while to cover the entire system and plant poles etc where necessary.

We did 2 test rides (with riders who didn't know the route) before opening to make sure they could follow the route, yet we still have the odd rider getting lost. So we will triple check and add more or move markers where necessary.

Oi!!! Give that man a BELLS!!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I have a safe option for riding between B'ville and STB! I'll pay for an annual permit with a smile.

Thanks for the good work, guys!

Could anyone who finds a single key with a white and red Mitsubishi ring/tag on it please contact me. Lost by a rider on the red route. Cheers, thanks.

Hi guys.

We’ve added a Purple Loop to the trails which gives riders starting from Middelvlei the option to do an additional 6 km without having to continue over the hill on the Red Route. We did this because we felt riders from Middelvlei needed another option with more distance and climbing without having to do the entire Red Route.

It will also give riders coming from Bottelary side the opportunity to bail out via the Purple Loop if they don’t want to continue on the Red Route.

There’s a map for the Purple Loop on this page http://bottelaryhillsmtb.co.za/?page_id=435

All the necessary signs and markers are in place, so try it out and give us some feedback.