Should I purchase my Garmin while I'm overseas?

bosb4k

I am in a predicament - I'm travelong to Kuala Lampur and have thoughts of buying my Garmin (850) while I am there?? Obviously it will be cheaper, but i will have to purchase the maps locally? NOW is it a good idea? What should i consider before i go this path - sometimes local is lekker, but the price ....???

If it is a 850 stay well away, their copy and paste job didnt work so lekka then. Garmin has a Edge 800 rather try and get one of those.

There is an international warranty available, you can buy it at Avnic if it ever needs to be repaired (around R500) Would probably be best to get the local maps loaded uummh ... locally.

Edited by Tankman

get from easygis.co.za (see below) R4200 odd - that is what I paid just on the purchase alone on amazon

as of the 3rd feb 2011 -

- Edge 800 – R3999

- Edge 800 Bundle (Premium HRM + Speed Cadence) – R4899

- Door to Door Delivery – FREE

It'll cost you R1000 to get some SA maps and R500 to warranty if something goes wrong. Assuming there's a 1% chance of something going wrong in the warranty period, that means that it'd make sense to buy one oversees so long as it's more than R1005 cheaper than the local equivalent (bearing in mind that you'd also be getting the oversees maps as an added bonus).

It'll cost you R1000 to get some SA maps and R500 to warranty if something goes wrong. Assuming there's a 1% chance of something going wrong in the warranty period, that means that it'd make sense to buy one oversees so long as it's more than R1500 cheaper than the local equivalent (bearing in mind that you'd also be getting the oversees maps as an added bonus).

Fixed

I bought mine without maps but the plan is to buy maps locally for my 800 unit, just waiting to see 2011.1 maps in store :thumbup:

The 2011.01 maps are available in store.

You can purchase the DVD for R20-00, then purchase the mapset you wish to use online, by following the prompts once you have inserted and run the DVD.

Typically, streepmaps will cost you R999-00, while Topo & Rec will be a bit more.

Garmin edge 800 performance bundle on CRC for about R3400 at the moment. Getting it to your door with all the vat and tax would still cost you less than R4000. So with local maps it would be around R5000.

Got mine locally for a very good price. Support our local agents, without them, who's gonna do your international warranty repair? Local is lekka

Got mine locally for a very good price. Support our local agents, without them, who's gonna do your international warranty repair? Local is lekka

I would have gotten mine locally but Garmin SA decided to hold back the roll out until a few more 705 units were to be sold.... about a month and a bit too late....

Fixed

I bought mine without maps but the plan is to buy maps locally for my 800 unit, just waiting to see 2011.1 maps in store :thumbup:

It's only R1500 if it's guaranteed to break during the warranty period (which, with a Garmin is admittedly possible). If there's only a 1% chance of it breaking, the expected value of a warranty replacement is only R5 (1% x R500).