Another hijacking

sias

OK, spoke to Jaco just now - It happened on the gravel road next to the Twin Rivers Estate in Irene Pretoria, close to Smuts House. He must have been going west as he was on his way home. It was about 17H30...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to fetch my bike today from a white guy! Yes the bike got stolen by a vagrant the other day.

This a is a special system that they use.The Poor black guys get the raw end of the stick, pennies for the bike, whereas the one who is making the real money is the LBS who is selling it again.

"If there are no buyers, they wouldn't be stealing it."

Really ? You not thinking of a pub brawl where you just lost your wallet and bike ?

:lol:

Where did that happen? Hectic :(

Long time ago. 1993. Corner of Goud and Fox in the CBD. Very co-ordinated effort. A car pulled out in front of us and a man almost got caught between us. He then turned a gun on the driver, who ran out of the car, got in and told me to get out. But two accomplices kept on pulling the door handle as I was trying to unlock the door, so they got miffed. They finally pulled me out, sprayed my with pepper spray and got stuck in with their fists and feet.

OK, spoke to Jaco just now - It happened on the gravel road next to the Twin Rivers Estate in Irene Pretoria, close to Smuts House. He must have been going west as he was on his way home. It was about 17H30...

Seems like the general Irene area is being targeted as I have read quite a few post on bike-jackings or attempted bike-jackings in that area.

We used to jol paintball in the forest just below the Smuts house and used to encounter a few dodgy characters in that bush. Wouldn't surprise me if these guys are the jackers.

1 possible answer is apparently as with many hijacked cars , the bikes are sent over the border to Mozambique (or other Southern African neighbours) in truckloads.

Apparently there is one or 2 bike shops in Maputo that receive them and once they are there they obviously now have a new life as a legitimate 2hnd item as there's no angry owner to spot them.

I think this was brought up on the Hub a year or 2 ago.

There are undoubtedly syndicates running which would mean there are constant and steady buyers of as many top bikes as the thieves can provide.

(The same thieves that Hi-jack cars do housebreakings , assault , murder , rape etc - which is why there are some quite brutal stories cropping up - mad dog last week was one)

There is definitely something happening - 2 or more hijackings are getting reported every week on the Hub from you poor bunch up in the hinterlands!

Maybe some nice policeman needs to come on board to collect all the daily info from the hub and see if they can investigate something.

Although the sad reality is once Pandora's box is open its open.... thieves now realise that a bicycle can be worth quite a lot more than a car and that there are willing buyers for them

:(

I am going to fetch my bike today from a white guy! Yes the bike got stolen by a vagrant the other day.

This a is a special system that they use.The Poor black guys get the raw end of the stick, pennies for the bike, whereas the one who is making the real money is the LBS who is selling it again.

"If there are no buyers, they wouldn't be stealing it."

I bet that white guy knows more then he is letting on - Like you say, get the "black guys" to do the dirty work and get the bad rep, meanwhile back at the ranch, the story is so very different.

Maybe some nice policeman needs to come on board to collect all the daily info from the hub and see if they can investigate something.

The only way to solve this would be to have an indepth investigation unfortunately we do know how effective the majority of our police force is (please note the use of 'majority' as I know there are some members of SAPS that do work really hard and go the extra mile in order to see justice server) so either the investigating officer needs to be a cyclist or we need to alert the media as to how dire the situation actually is. (Get Carte Blanche involved, that Devi chick scares the crap out of me) And get the media to investigate to cycle shops.

I'm working on that !! <_<

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys. We have added the crime of Bike jacking to the crime reporting system on Turn It Around. Report all the Bike Jackings on the website and let others know about the hot spots and areas to watch out for. Visit the website at http://www.turnitaround.co.za/

Ride safe!